PDA

View Full Version : converting valve jr. combo to a head

warren0728
August 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM
i was looking at those cheap cabinets from Lopo Line.....so i was thinking of converting my valve jr. combo into a compact head unit. Has anyone thought of doing this....i know i could buy the head for less that 100 bucks but it would not match the cab i want... so i was thinking of making my own.

Are there any suppliers who deal with generic head size boxes...

any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

ww

Justaguyin_nc
August 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM
i was thinking of converting my valve jr. combo into a compact head unit.
ww

Well, you could always buy the covering there to match by itself and cut your combo cab down to head size if you really want to go that route..:)

Or even buy the $99 head from Epi and buy tolex to match the cab and redo the head ?

Looks like lopoline.com sells it all...

Nelskie
August 20th, 2006, 07:34 AM
... so i was thinking of converting my valve jr. combo into a compact head unit. . .
ww - With the Epi Valve Jr. head running at a mere $99 bones, I don't know if I'd even fuss with converting your Jr. combo. The other thing I'd tell you to do is to take the money you'd otherwise spend on tolex / tweed or whatever, and mod that puppy out - tubes, tone control mod, etc. Or, just use the combo as a head like I do (*see photo below.) Yeah, it don't match - but it sure sounds good. Plus, I still have the convenience of a dynamite-sounding 5W tube amp that I can take with me wherever I go - no ext. cab needed! I think you'd miss having that option.

Anyways - good luck with whatever you do decide to do. ;)

warren0728
August 20th, 2006, 07:42 AM
yeah that all makes sense....as for moding the valve jr. i'm apprehensive about trying it. I've never done anything like that (soldering and such). I thought i could just take the entire guts of the valve jr. intact and put it in a small head type enclosure....but like you said lot of work when i could by a head for 99 bucks.

will probably leave it as is unless i decide to try some of the mods...

ww