PDA

View Full Version : Blackstar HT-drive

SuperSwede
July 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, I just got home from a week in Stockholm... I vistited the JAM music store and ran across this GREAT sounding overdrive pedal that I just HAD to buy.. so I did... :D

Blackstar HT-Drive :bravo:

Best drive pedal I´ve ever tried...period.

http://images.miretail.com/products/optionLarge/Blackstar/557411jpg.jpg

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdrive.html

tot_Ou_tard
July 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I was considering those awhile back.

Did you try any of the other Blackstar pedals?

Robert
July 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Tell us more about it. Why did you have to buy it? What's it similar to, a tube screamer, blues driver, Boss Overdrive, etc?

SuperSwede
July 25th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Robert, I had to buy it because I plugged it in to a Vox AC15 CC which sounded "ok" by itself.. but when I kicked in the drive pedal it all happened.. It sounds nothing like a tube screamer, it starts with a little tube amp growl and ends up in a full "my head´s in mississippi" drive.
I swear that I could feel that Mr Gibbons and Mr Perry was peeking over my shoulder to investigate where all that righteous drive came from!
And it does AC/DC style riffs very well too :)

Even though it got plenty of drive on tap it still retains the original character of my guitar.

Basically this is a tube driven pedal (operates at 300 volt HT) that are built into a sturdy and heavy (1.5 kg!) case, it has what Blackstar call a "class A tone control" which is VERY effective.

It plays along just fine with both clean and slight overdrive sounds on my Vox amph.

Only downside that I´ve noticed so far is that it needs a 16v adapter (included), its probably not easy to find another one if it breaks down.

Tot, I didnt try the other pedals (they hade the dual and that metal dist) cause I was looking for a overdrive pedal, I did try out the Digitech Hardwire pedal but that was not a great sounding pedal imo.

Here is a link to some reviews:
http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdrivereviews.html

SuperSwede
July 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Ok guys dont laugh too hard, this is my FIRST YOUTUBE VIDEO ever!! :D

The sound got messed up when recording and even more when I had uploaded it to youtube (No I DONT use a phaser.. lol)

(And my wife tells me to clean up my music room so no need for you to comment on that ;) )

QZ3HwPxm3aU

tot_Ou_tard
July 25th, 2009, 07:03 AM
You're right the sound faded in and out at times, but it sounded good when it was in.

(And my wife tells me to clean up my music room so no need for you to comment on that ;) )
Looks perfectly clean to me, but I didn't know that you lived "through the looking glass" near the city of MLOHKCOTS. This probably explains the sound issues.

BTW, what model on the XOV where you playing?

SuperSwede
July 25th, 2009, 07:15 AM
You're right the sound faded in and out at times, but it sounded good when it was in.

Looks perfectly clean to me, but I didn't know that you lived "through the looking glass" near the city of MLOHKCOTS. This probably explains the sound issues.

BTW, what model on the XOV where you playing?

The XOV deddom naelc ledom... a very versatile ledom that goes from warm fat clean sound to a very enjoyable tube drive :)

The sound is a bit "metallic" and "phaseresque" which probably happened during Apple Photobooth + youtube conversion... it sounded really good live though.. promise :D

marnold
July 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
<Ugly American>Huh, I didn't know that all Swedes were left-handed.</Ugly American>

I want to try the amp version of the HT.

SuperSwede
July 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Heh... I dont know why that happened.. probably some setting in the video program :D

ibanezjunkie
July 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM
i used a bunch of Blackstar pedals when i used to play for a guitar store at their gear demos, the HT-Dual and the Dist were my personal favorites.

Robert
July 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Nice phaser pedal you bought! :D

Congrats on joining us youtube uploaders! ;)

Sounded pretty good still. I will try one of those if I ever see one in person.

SuperSwede
July 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Nice phaser pedal you bought! :D

Congrats on joining us youtube uploaders! ;)

Sounded pretty good still. I will try one of those if I ever see one in person.

Do that Robert, it sounds so damn nice in real life!