PDA

View Full Version : microsoft develop licensing?

birv2
July 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I figured someone here might know --

if you create a custom application using, say MS Outlook, in VB or something similar, and you want to sell that custom app... do you pay any fees to Microsoft?

Just doing some thinking but would like to know before I get too far.

Thanks!

Bob

kiteman
July 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I think only Microsoft can answer that.

thekiwidisciple
July 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I don't think they'd know, or care, to be frank.

wingsdad
July 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Yes.

I worked for a marketing presentation/sales force automation software delveloper 7 years ago that took their proprietary mac-based app and adated it to operate as plug in to MS Office, using Access, Excel, Word and Powerpoint, as well as Outlook's calendering functions so they could market it to customer wiht PC-based networks and systems.

They definitely struck a licensing fee deal, but I wasn't privy to the details of it. I just sold the stuff, which naturally, was intentionally broken out of the box and relied on customers to report glitches so they could issues patched & updates...and sign on for an add-on fee-based customer support service contract. MS made $$ on the support deals, too.

Your product would likely suffer the same intentional grounding strategy.

I quit the slimeballs after 4 months. Not my bag to sell broken stuff.

thekiwidisciple
July 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Oh, sorry I thought you meant you were using a M$ app to make your own app. I thought it a tad strange that you'd use Outlook! LOL.

birv2
July 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Oh, sorry I thought you meant you were using a M$ app to make your own app. I thought it a tad strange that you'd use Outlook! LOL.

Actually, I was planning on using Outlook, maybe with VBA or VB.NET.