PDA

View Full Version : Gibson SG Question, simple

Duff49
July 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I bought a new Faded brown Gibson SG Faded; a great guitar, and love it a lot. Way different from my glossy Epi '66 copy of a Gibson standard and nice too. Excellent electronics.

Anyway, to the question: the new SG is strung with tens and it is hard to bend. I like nines for ease of bending.

Is there any problem putting some pure nickel d'dario nines on this right now to make the playability so much easier? Might even lower my action a little, but the action is beautiful as is.

Simple question. I'm assuming I can just put the nines on but thought I'd draw upon this huge resource of expert opinions here at the fret.

That Faded SG is a great guitar by the way. At least mine is. No flashy blockyness or trim, just a nice oiled lookin brown finish and a great neck and great playability plus great electronics. Glad I got it.

Thanks in advanced for any help,

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Out the door for five hundred dollars at Guitar Center on Fourth of July sale. Took some BS'ing.

marnold
July 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You might need to tweak the truss rod or the intonation, but other than that you should be golden. Emphasis on the "might." Change the strings, let the neck settle a bit, then check the relief and the intonation. Adjust if necessary.

ZMAN
July 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Duff I have had really good success with D'Addario 9.5s. They are a little above a 9 but not quite a 10. They are just the ticket for what you want I think.

bigG
July 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
The difference between 9s and 10s is negligible to the guitar itself. Shouldn't change the guit in any way. Slap on a set of 9s (or 9.5s) and start pickin...and bendin'! :AOK:

Plank_Spanker
July 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM
The difference between 9s and 10s is negligible to the guitar itself. Shouldn't change the guit in any way. Slap on a set of 9s (or 9.5s) and start pickin...and bendin'! :AOK:

Agreed! :D

kiteman
July 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Good deal Duff. :)

I had a faded SG one time. Great guitar but too diffrerent from my strats. Makes me lose my place on frets so I sold it and just play with my strats.

Duff49
August 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Another question.

The Faded brown SG has Gibson open coil humbuckers that sound really good, seriously.

I want to solder on some metal covers, nickel plated or maybe even black chrome or chrome. When I do this should I put tape around the inside of the sides of the metal covers to eliminate the possibility of the coils from shorting out against the sides of the metal covers, windings and things?

I'm going to solder them on.

Also, do I need to get Gibson humbucker covers or can I get some Seymour Duncan metal covers to solder onto the Gibson open coils?

These stock pickups and the electronics are surprisingly good. Maybe there is still something to be said for Gibson American made products and someone said that maybe there is better care given to these simple faded designs. It is deep brown oiled looking finish and has the green tuning pegs. I'm like thinking, "Gibson Rocks". Ha ha . Never thought I'd have a Gibson. I pretty proud even though it's just an inexpensive one. Might have to get a Gibson LP Junior some day now!

Anybody else have any of these faded SG's? I love mine.

I also have an awesome totally stock Epiphone "Sound of Rock", '66 copy of a Gibson cherry poly finished SG Standard with the full pickguard like a strat just like my new faded. That Epiphone is one beautiful guitar and I still sove playing it and it's coefficient of cool is mega awesome; trans cherry highly varnished and the block inlays and the crown headstock treatment. I like the plain look of the Faded though and the green plastic tuning knobs.

Gotta say, I like SG's. But I like all my guitars. Some just sound way better and they are usually the more expensive ones, but this trans cherry Epi SG was not expensivie and it sounds super great stock. No Seymour Duncans for it yet, maybe never.

Duffy