PDA

View Full Version : Toneport/Podfarm Recording Send Level

jasongins
July 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I was hoping a fellow toneport owner using Podfarm could answer this question. On the mixer screen, what is the optimal signal level for the Rec. Send Processed out? When I play my Strat, the meter registers to about the -10 line, no higher. This is with the send level fader all the way up, the volume knob all the way up on the guitar, and the output level knob all the way up on the podfarm screen. The manual says to use "a nice hot signal" without specifying what that really is. There is an 18db boost button, but if I use this the meter goes all the way into the red and I would need to back the fader down. So, what number should I shoot for on this meter?

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rljd7da7q5.png

Suhnton
July 25th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I usually go for -6 -9 dB for processed, or if I'm recording unprocessed guitar -12 -18 dB. You need more headroom for unprocessed guitar, since the VSTs will start eating it up.

One thing to bear in mind is that you have to leave some headroom so you don't overload the master buss once all the instruments are sent to it.
When I'm recording vocs, I sometimes need to use the 18dB button, and pull the fader down to about halfway (or whatever).

BTW I'm using Gearbox 3.7, which I understand is pretty much the same as amp farm.