PDA

View Full Version : Level 2!

marnold
July 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I had a guitar lesson with my son today. As I mentioned before, I'm using the 1992 version of Doug Marks' Metal Method to teach him. Today we ended Level 1. There's a little pseudo-solo at the end that I thought he'd have some issues with because he was struggling a bit with this new concept of pull-offs. He nailed it. I just said, "Well, you can't ask for much more than that, can you?" The only part of Level 1 he still struggles with are barre chords, but those will be a struggle for some time. We're focusing on the major five-string (A-shape) barre for next time, towards the goal of playing his favorite song, "Rockin' in the Free World."

In the beginning of Level 2 today we learned hammer-ons, trills, and slides. I impressed him with how fast I could play one of the exercises he's going to have for next time, but it won't be too terribly long when I'll have to work to make sure I keep up with him.

Robert
July 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Great to hear, keep encouragement going and he'll go far.

SuperSwede
July 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Awesome, he will be shredding around the fretboard in no time with such a dedicated father/teacher :)

Kazz
July 26th, 2009, 06:46 AM
How old is he Matt?

marnold
July 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
How old is he Matt?
He turned 12 on Friday.