PDA

View Full Version : Bargain guitars?

oldguy
August 20th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Anybody else run across an old guitar that has good quality and low price and can't be passed up? That's how I ended up with these. Some look rough, but they play and sound great to my ears. Especially the Fernie Tele.
The no-name strat copy sounds just like the old strats before the pole pieces were staggered, it has the flat pole pieces. Frets are not as nice as the Fernandes. I think the Fernie is truly as good as my Fender, with the exception of the pots. I'll probably replace those someday... maybe not. The neck on it is absolutely killer. Real nitro, vintage tint, skunk stripe.:)
Glenn

Cranium
August 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
That red strat copy look like a Moridira strat copy (I recognize the headstock), they don't make guitars anymore but they used to make some nice strat copies in the 80's I think, Im not really sure of anything.

Tone2TheBone
August 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
That Tele is cool. And lookie that Epi Vj head on top of a 2x12 Avatar cab......nice dude. Tell me about that Hot Plate.

oldguy
August 24th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Cranium, a Moridira? Thanks, man, I never heard of those before! I know it plays and sounds good, tho.:)
Tone, the Hotplate is simply an attenuator that allows you to turn the volume down with your amp dimed, it sucks up some signal but keeps the basic amp tone pretty well true. They are useful when you want to crank the amp. Even my little Epi Valve Jr. head can get too loud wide open, so I use the Hotplate to calm it down. As long as you're pushing enough air through the speakers to make the sound thump your chest you can get some good tones and even make your amp feedback at the right frequencies. That's the sound I like, and the Hotplate lets you dial it in a little better. Hope that helps. I PM'd you about your question a little bit ago. I just got home from THE construction job (320 acres of pure joy) a little while ago.:rolleyes:
Glenn Hughes
P.S. Everybody keep playin' yer A$$E$ off!!!

Spudman
August 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM
OG
Cool looking toys ya got there. Bargain gear is so cool when it's got some of it's own mojo going for it and it actually works. Some manufactures really have some nice stuff that you never hear about. Moridira!??? See what I mean. And those older Fernandes are great providing you find the right ones.

Keep good posts like this one coming.

ps.
With all the cool toys you have I hope you're playing your a$$ off as well.