PDA

View Full Version : Explorations

FrankAxtell
July 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
A modal guitar improvisation I just finished.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7896839

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjp5gMHVpng

ibanezjunkie
July 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
sweet playing :AOK:

sounds good in hi-fi.

pes_laul
July 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Sounds pretty good dude :AOK:

Jimi75
July 31st, 2009, 03:53 AM
Hello Frank,

That is a very interesting piece of music you have created.

I can't tell if I would call this "trance music" or classify it as "Metal Band comes on stage intro" or "The turning point in a darn good action thriller".

This piece lives. I like the completely different approach you tool this time, because it shows your huge creative variety.

Guitar playing is as always awesome.

:AOK:

FrankAxtell
August 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hello Frank,

That is a very interesting piece of music you have created.

I can't tell if I would call this "trance music" or classify it as "Metal Band comes on stage intro" or "The turning point in a darn good action thriller".

This piece lives. I like the completely different approach you tool this time, because it shows your huge creative variety.

Guitar playing is as always awesome.

:AOK:Thanks Jimi,
The progression is very simple, played on the piano Em to E7sus4 b9 (E,A,B,D,F or R ,sus 4, 5th, b7 and b9th). These chords are built from the phrygian harmonization. I basically used the E phrygian mode along with the E minor pentatonic and A Harmonic minor or E phrygian #3 (E,F,G#,A,B,C,D) the synthetic mode built off the 5th degree of the A harmonic minor scale. You have to watch out for the G#, depending on which chord change your on and use it sparingly as a passing tone to create linear tension.

I tried to work with the volume control as much as possible and picking attack to create some interesting dynamics. The 1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 and 1976 Marshall JMP 2204 Mk II are very responsive tube amplifiers.
Hopefully that answered some of your questions. Thanks so much for commenting.