PDA

View Full Version : your most interesting sounds/tones

ibanezjunkie
July 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
with my setup, one of the most interesting sounds ive found is fast phase over a Mesa/boogie dual rectifier amp model, along with a medium deep reverb. The Soldano (insane) model is pretty interesting with the tremolo maxed out too.

whats the wackiest/most interesting/strangest/favourite sounds you can created with your setup?

pes_laul
July 30th, 2009, 02:46 PM
small clone chorus with the depth set all the way up and the flanger set to "step flange" added with a bit of reverb in delay. crazy stuff

ibanezjunkie
July 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
ever heard the song Gasoline by Audioslave? its the only time ive heard anything similar to what you get with maxed tremolo and heavy distortion, although tom morello used killswitching techniques instead.

Tremolo is how i cheat, since i dont have a killswitch on either guitar.

Plank_Spanker
July 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I can get some absolutely crazy sounds from the Axe FX........................too many to list.

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I love imitating a keyboard. My weirdest sound is using my Digitech EX7 which has a synth effect in it that sounds like a heavy chorus, an added octave up mixed with the dry signal, and alot of reverb and cascading delays. I like to then bump up the weird with my digitech whammy added a lower octave (an EH POG would save me much effort) and add some more chorus and a leslie simulator and some more delay and reverb. It sounds like an organ and strings and weirdness....

...mostly useless noise...

Robert
July 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Do you guys remember the wacky Digitech Whammy videos I made a good while ago? It was Rylan's pedal I borrowed... really cool effects you can get with that thing.

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Do you guys remember the wacky Digitech Whammy videos I made a good while ago? It was Rylan's pedal I borrowed... really cool effects you can get with that thing.

You should try the Digitech Space Station. I just impulse bought a Digitech EX-7 a few weeks ago and it copies it. It's pretty wild...I think I will go and record with it right now and post back some weirdness when I'm done.

What can I use for mp3 hosting?? Is the anything quick for uploading audio?

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ok. This is my weird effect.... It's basically heavily effected swells and octaves and compressions... You can kind of hear my buddy in the background playing acoustic guitar...

Most of this is credited to the Digitech EX-7

Weird Effects (http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/11401/Output%201-2.mp3)

*Gibson Les Paul > Digitech EX7 > Vox Cooltron Snake Charmer Compression > Marshall Supervibe Chorus > Nova Delay > Vox AC30 (amp reverb) mic'd with an SM57 and Samson C03

deeaa
July 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'm sorry I sold off this I forget what 19" delay unit back in the early '90's...it was probably not entirely digital. It was a really crazy delay once you get it to some quirky settings...it didn't have any time settings or such, only some values that all went 0 to 100...and when you messed with it, it did not only delay but it somehow cascaded things until it was virtually making music by itself. You'd get these screechs and blimps and yeeowws, weirdest sounds I ever heard. Some of them, especially if you'd have slowed them down, woulda fit some horror film backings quite nicely...or one of those 'haunting' shows, you get the picture.

Damn, I wish I never parted with that one. Don't even know the brand, it was kinda yellow with a red name on it. One 19" space.

I'm not a fan of time-based FX that much...never use delay/chorus etc. except after the fact when recording. Delays just seem like faking it in solos and all the other stuff just destroys the in-your-face immediacy of a good punchy guitar sound.

Sometimes I do play a delay, i.e. play the same riff for instance three times in a row, each time much more weakly, so it sounds just like a delay. I was once asked after a gig what kind of delay I used 'cuz it was always perfectly in tempo, I just had to laugh :-)

BUT as for quirky sounds just now...sometimes I like to punch on OD and comp and let loose my E string till it barely sounds and is way flabby...scrathes on the pickups and lays very lax, and then you get all kinds of crazy rumbles and sounds.

Ro3b
July 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Ebow, Whammy pedal harmonizing a 7th, Big Muff set on light annihilation, delay. It sounds just like an air conditioner. Great if you're into that kind of thing.

marnold
July 31st, 2009, 07:45 AM
You should try the Digitech Space Station. I just impulse bought a Digitech EX-7 a few weeks ago and it copies it. It's pretty wild...I think I will go and record with it right now and post back some weirdness when I'm done.
He's got an EX-7 too. I know--it came from the U.S. via me :)

I agree the Space Station model is very cool.

kiteman
July 31st, 2009, 08:24 AM
You guys haven't used the Roger Linn Adrenalinn III hey?

This pedal's full of wild stuff. I have one and it's fantastic. :)

tunghaichuan
July 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM
One cool sound I've always liked is the comb filtering effect. I used to have a Boss RBF-10 half-rack Flanger that could get this. For the lack of a better description, I'd say it hollows out the sound and compresses it.

Prime examples of this can be heard on Concrete Blonde's Bloodletting album.

tung

sumitomo
July 31st, 2009, 03:56 PM
You guys haven't used the Roger Linn Adrenalinn III hey?

This pedal's full of wild stuff. I have one and it's fantastic. :)

I'll bet you have a lot of fun with that pedal.Looks real cool.Sumi:D

sunvalleylaw
July 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I don't particularly have a weird sound or strange sound that I use very much. My most interesting (to myself) sound is a warm overdriven (either using the overdrive functions of my Rabid Rodent or my Bad Monkey) strat or hagstrom neck pickup blues tone, which is interesting to me as I learn to play and express with it, and become more effective with bends, slides, vibrato etc. Often with the Hagstrom, I will use no pedal at all. Some reverb is dialed in through my amph for home play. Learning to play better leads, licks and chords, and combine rhythm and lead playing using those tones and maybe the volume knob to clean it up is most interesting to me these days.

I have two other sounds I really like to play with, 1. any cleanish to overdriven tone through my MXR Carbon Copy delay, set to Gilmour style delay. I think that is fun to play with. 2., a Cobainish sound with my Boss DS-1 combined with my Boss CE-5 chorus. That is also fun, and takes me to a different place.

tunghaichuan
July 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
I have two other sounds I really like to play with, 1. any cleanish to overdriven tone through my MXR Carbon Copy delay, set to Gilmour style delay. I think that is fun to play with. 2., a Cobainish sound with my Boss DS-1 combined with my Boss CE-5 chorus. That is also fun, and takes me to a different place.

I was doing just that the other day: I figured out that I could run my VJ 1/8th stack and my Blackheart Little Giant 1/8th stack in stereo if I used the CE-5 pedal's stereo outs. From what I've read the CE-5 is more subtle than the CH-1.

Today I was using my RV-5 reverb, DD-3 and DD-7 delays. I was trying to emulate some whale sounds like on Adrian Belew's "Ballet for a Blue Whale" from Twang Bar King.

I actually like the stock tone of the the DS-1, but I know I'm in the minority. I think it sounds particularly good into the VJ stack. My current favorit Boss pedal is the OS-2, which is basically a DS-1 and OD-1 in the same pedal with a pan pot to gradually get either a distortion sound or an OD sound or a blend of both. Originally I picked one up because I heard that Buckethead used one. :dude:

Apparently Cobain used the Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion. It's regular mode is kind of like the DS-1, but not as bright. The turbo setting nails the Cobain sound. It has kind of a "half cocked wah-wah" tonality to it, very middy which is what I associate with Cobain's playing.

tung

kiteman
July 31st, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'll bet you have a lot of fun with that pedal.Looks real cool.Sumi:D

Oh yea, I do. :)

The amp modeling is real good. Of course I'm having fun with the drums and the FXs (all beat synced).