PDA

View Full Version : Finally joined TheFret after much procrastination...

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Well... I'm Rylan Martin from Sherwood Park, Alberta. I'm 23 and have an unhealthy addiction to all the is the guitar. I first picked up a guitar about 11 years ago, and have blasted many ear drums since.

I started playing guitar in my church at 13 and have mostly continued to do so. I currently play with my band, occasionally at my church, and as a temp player for several other bands. I run a small home based recording studio, and I'm often hired for session studio work.

I currently own a small plethora of instruments, and love being excessive!

GEAR:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
2 Fender Standard Mexican Strats with excessive mods
Fender Telecaster
Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
PRS Tremonti SE
Epiphone ET-275
Ibanez RG170
Ibanez AEL40 Acoustic
Takamine EG330SC Acoustic
Taylor 114 Acoustic
Fender Mexican Jazz Bass

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Vox AC30CC2x
Fender Princeton 65 DSP

Effects:
Pod X3 Live
Pocket Pod
Zoom GFX707
Korg pitch black tuner
Digitech EX7 Expression Factory
Vox Wah
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Dunlop Univibe
Vox Cooltron Snake Charmer Compressor
Digitech Screaming Blues OD/Distortion
Boss DS1 Distortion
EH Double Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop High Gain Volume Pedal
Boss RT20 Rotary simulation twin pedal
Marshal Supervibe Chorus
TC Electronics Nova Delay
Line 6 Verbzilla

I guess I'll attach a photo of me and my lovely wife on our wedding day this last February....

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2233/leahrae1592.jpg

Cheers!

just strum
July 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the forum.

It's a nice collection you have here.

It is customary to give the first one that responds to your post a guitar of their choice.

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
It is customary to give the first one that responds to your post a guitar of their choice.

This forum is gonna get expenive...

So what'll it be then??

just strum
July 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Well, seeing that you don't have a Gibson ES335 (about the only one you don't have), I guess you can box up the Gretsch G5120 Electromatic and send it to Ohio.

BTW, your better half looks very lovely, I hope she walked into dealing with your unhealthy addiction with eyes wide open. Does she sing, or is that a prop?

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Well....

Her first instrument is Piano and she has a grade 8 in Royal Conservatory. We got to know each other when she took guitar lessons from me about 6 years ago...

She currently plays piano, bass, guitar, saxamophone, trumpet, and she can sing.

The mic is a prop. It's an old Shure mic that has some wires loose and might one day work again.

I'll go and buy some bubble wrap for the Gretsch...*sigh*...

sunvalleylaw
July 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome and nice intro!!

Robert
July 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome Rylan, thanks for joining us! Rylan is a good friend of mine, and we've known each other for a few years now. We've jammed a few times (need to do it again soon!), and Rylan is a great player. Cheers mate!

(Psst, Just Strum doesn't need any more guitars, so you can drop it off at my place instead any day you like...;) )

just strum
July 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well....

Her first instrument is Piano and she has a grade 8 in Royal Conservatory. We got to know each other when she took guitar lessons from me about 6 years ago...

Hey, guitar players do get the women!!!

Don't listen to Robert.

luvmyshiner
July 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I currently own a small plethora of instruments, and love being excessive!

Welcome aboard Rylan. Sounds like you'll fit right in!

rylanmartin
July 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Well I've just taken a Dewalt Circular Saw to the Gretsch. I've carefully bound each half with about 15 wraps of bubble wrap...

Robert, I'll be at your front door in probably an hour and 15...

I'll then stop by a Canada Post and ship the other half down to Idaho...

I'm keeping the orange sawdust in a coffee can.......

*single tear*

evenkeel
July 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Wonderful intro. Welcome to the gang. :beer: :beer:

oldguy
July 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:D
(i like your sense of humour, btw.)

tot_Ou_tard
July 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Now that is what I call an intro.

Welcome Rylan!

duhvoodooman
July 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Rylan. Any friend of Robert's is....well, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt anyway. :D

Monkus
July 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Welcome !!!! :beer:

Brian Krashpad
July 31st, 2009, 10:02 AM
Welcome, cool gear and great pic!

Spudman
July 31st, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hey, guitar players do get the women!!!

Don't listen to Robert.

Not really. He got another musician. Those are a lot different than women.:messedup:

Welcome to the forum and Stum is just kidding about the whole guitar thing. You're really supposed to send Canadian beer to him and your closest neighbor Fretters in Oregon and Idaho.;)

rylanmartin
July 31st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Not really. He got another musician. Those are a lot different than women.:messedup:

Welcome to the forum and Stum is just kidding about the whole guitar thing. You're really supposed to send Canadian beer to him and your closest neighbor Fretters in Oregon and Idaho.;)

Musicians ARE a whole different breed of women...believeyoume!

Although having a "jam" is definitely fun for various different reasons!

I wonder...can you send beer via mail over the border?

I think the trophy wife and I wanna take a Road trip down the Oregon way sometime this summer if time allows. I should go all Dukes of Hazzard and smuggle some of our Canadian Moonshine your way...

just strum
July 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM

Oh that's right, I keep getting the two mixed up.

Hmmm, Ohio, Oregon, and Idaho - that would narrow it down to ...http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/scratchhead.gif

rylanmartin
July 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hmmm, Ohio, Oregon, and Idaho - that would narrow it down to ...http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/scratchhead.gif

Idaho...my fault. I think my brain was in two places when I wrote "Idaho" earlier. I'll ship the sawed up half of the Gretsch G5120 to OHIO...

Can I just have a moment to mourn?

**Idaho DOES have a few walmarts that I like to crank call on a regular basis:

Walmart in Idaho...disclaimer: corny computer humor (http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/11567/walmart.mp3)

Kazz
August 1st, 2009, 05:43 AM
We are going to have to keep an eye or 2 on this guy....He plucked one of his students to be his "Trophy Wife" He is in league with Shiner and his Child Bride.

That Walmart prank is hilarious.

bigG
August 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Welcome Rylan! Nice gang of folks here! :beer:

vroomery
August 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Welcome rylan. Thats a pretty cool name you have there, and a ton of gear to boot! haha. How do you like your zvex box of rock? I've thought about getting one before but never taken the plunge.

rylanmartin
August 1st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome rylan. Thats a pretty cool name you have there, and a ton of gear to boot! haha. How do you like your zvex box of rock? I've thought about getting one before but never taken the plunge.

Well...

I REALLY like it, but I don't think I'll have too much use after Voodoo sends me the pedals I ordered today.

Its pretty wicked, but I wish it sat vertically instead of being a stupid horizontal puzzle piece. I'll post some sound clips of it later this week if I get time.

I'd love to try it with Robert's Marshall JVM 410H one day possibly...just a subtle call to a jam

Cheers

Robert
August 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Rylan, we sure gotta jam some day!

What pedals did you order?

My ZYS Mk II is a wicked tubescreamer, I tell ya. Videos on my website. :)

sunvalleylaw
August 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
As a DVM pedal owner, I am curious too! I love my Bad Monkey, but think a ZYS II or similar could be nice someday as well.

rylanmartin
August 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
A ZYS MKII and BYOC Mouse (modded). I want a pedal board I can move without a Bobcat. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on commercial pedal board? Pedaltrain or something with a good case that can stand up to touring?

Robert
August 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Sweet pedals, Rylan! You are going to love those bebbies.

Yup, Pedaltrain is great. I am very happy with mine. I have a sturdy case with it too. Ain't light, but it protects the little rascals in there properly.

FrankenFretter
August 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Spudman - You're really supposed to send Canadian beer to him and your closest neighbor Fretters in Oregon and Idaho.;)

Welcome, Rylan. Yes, beer is always welcome, as well as fellow fretters. Great intro, great pic, and lucky you that your wife understands the need to feed that great, overwhelming pining for more, more, more guitars and gear! Mine just tolerates exceptionally well. Of course, we haven't tied the knot yet, and things may change once that happens, but for now I get no grief.

Yeah, I'm coveting that Gretsch too. I'll just enjoy it vicariously for now... :master:

-Sean

rylanmartin
August 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
After just about destroying my spine today at a gig, I decided I'd go and buy a Pedaltrain and downsize the rig a little big. I think once DVM sends me the ZYS MKII and BYOC Mouse I ordered, I'll probably pull the Digitech Screaming Blues and Zvex BOR off. I'll probably go and change up this arrangement by next week too. I'm not running anything through the effects loop in this one.

I'm hoping this will work for me for a few gigs I have next weekend.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/102344a7609108f09f.jpg
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/102344a760910a5152.jpg

Anyone want a Boss DS-1, or an EH Double Muff?

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
I LOVE this freakin' guy! Joins The Fret and then buys two DVM pedals (really good ones, BTW) right outta the chute. My kinda new member!! :AOK: :dude: :beer:

Hey, Robert! You got any more friends like this one??

mrmudcat
August 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Welcome brother to the fret..:beer: ............Vood your da man now send me that cali carve to go with her sister;) !!