PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Strings

evenkeel
August 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
This subject was discussed recently. I'd never tried this, so when 000 was due for a string change I thought I'd give the boiling thing a try. For the record the guitar is a solid wood, spruce and rosewood, M-30 Morgan Monroe. Strings, D'addario 11's. phosphur/bronze.

I removed the strings, coiled them loosely and dropped them into a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Let them cool and dry, then restrung.

Did they sound like new strings No. Did they sound better, yes. Not as bright and crisp as new strings, but more life than before boiling. So after a fashion I guess I'd say the trick works. But, at least for me, there is a big downside. It's a real nuisance to restring with old strings with bent ends. I managed to stab myself several times trying to manage all the kinks and twisted ends.

Bottom line, strings are pretty cheap, you don't restring all that often and it's WAY easier to do the job with nice, new, long and straight strings.

just strum
August 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
I Googled this some time back and came to the conclusion that it was easier to buy new strings.

I also read to boil new strings to help them stretch.

If I recall, the results tend to be better or more obvious with bass strings.

marnold
August 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
If I recall, the results tend to be better or more obvious with bass strings.
That and bass strings tend to be substantially more expensive per set, thus any lifetime extension would be welcome. Having said that, I've never done it. My personal skin chemistry is so easy on strings, it's never been an issue.

Spudman
August 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM
I did this back in my "starving artist" period. I totally agree with everthing said. Now I'm willing to shell out for new ones when it's time just because it's such a hassle to do the process. It's not really worth it because strings are pretty inexpensive overall. But bass stings I still boil and keep that set for backup and just put a new set on.

Plank_Spanker
August 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Boiled many sets in my younger days.............:D

t_ross33
August 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
bass strings boiled in vinegar... smelled like pickles, but it did clean them up nicely and they sounded pretty much brand new...

that was quite a few years ago... easier to buy new strings now ;)

ibanezjunkie
August 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
i just put on new strings, then stick my finger under each string at the 12th fret and pull up about an inch and a half for a few seconds, and repeat a couple of times. Ends up being easier than boiling, boiling seems too much like hard work.

LeftyBlues
August 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Odd coincidence as I'd never heard of this until last week. A buddy who comes over to play boils them in a vinegar solution and swears by it. He's also preparing for a total collapse of modern society into anarchy and chaos so take that fer what it's worth! Cleaning the gunk is one thing but strings start out round (duh) and end up with stretched / flat portions which is why they get harder and harder to keep in tune throughout their length.

Heywood Jablomie
August 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
But if you add some onions and carrots.........mmmmmmmm