PDA

View Full Version : first thing you learned on the guitar?

ibanezjunkie
August 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
wondering where you guys all started off :D

for me, it was either Highway To Hell (AC/DC) or Bulls On Parade (RATM, obviously without any effects at that point so it sounded pretty lame)

your go :D

IJ.

rylanmartin
August 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Very basic blues pattern. Open A string and a shuffle groove going back and forth between the 2nd, 4th, and 5th fret on the D string.

Then when I completely mastered that, I'd move up a string and play on the G string with the D string open. aaaaaaaand then back down.

Then my guitar teacher thought it would be fun to give me some Yngwie Malmsteen arpeggios from hell exercises...

Plank_Spanker
August 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
House of the Rising Sun

pes_laul
August 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Sweet (or maybe suite) madame blue by styx

Perfect Stranger
August 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
First thing I learned on the guitar......that I could get girls easier! ;)

markb
August 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
House of the Rising Sun

Hey, you too!

Katastrophe
August 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hank Williams' "Your Cheatin' Heart" via the Roy Clark Guitar Method.

MichaelE
August 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
REO, Ridin' the Storm Out.

R.B. Huckleberry
August 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
"Heaven's On Fire" by Kiss. LOL!

M29
August 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'am Your Captain/Grand Funk

Monkus
August 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
The Wedding Song (There is love) by Peter, Paul and Mary,

deeaa
August 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Can't remember for sure, but it coulda been Smoke on the Water. First off, it was just the main riffs of songs, often Purple or Sabbath. First full songs were either Paranoid, or perhaps Motörhead's Don't Need No Religion, or maybe Fade to Black by Metallica. The first one I learned to sing and play was anyway Need No Religion - we got a free training place from the local church youth club, and had to play something there as 'rent' and we wanted to make sure they didn't think we believed in the god stuff any, so we played that :-)

I woulda wanted to play Highway to Hell but it was too difficult to sing by far.

Spudman
August 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Taps. My dad was in the military.:o

sunvalleylaw
August 2nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
The melody line in open position to "Hush Little Baby". I had just received my acoustic, the boys were still quite young (and their sister wasn't born yet), and they liked for me to play it.

kiteman
August 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
You Are My Sunshine. :whatever:

tunghaichuan
August 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
A minor pentatonic scale starting on the 5th fret.

tung

bigG
August 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
"I Saw Her Standing There" by The Beatles.

Rampant
August 4th, 2009, 04:25 AM
The first thing I learned when I started guitar was that I had no control over the fingers of my left hand. I say my left hand, but really it belonged to someone else - well it sure as hell didn't belong to me!

My first lessons were spent trying to contort my fingers to form basic chords, which led to.....

the first proper song that sensei gave me to learn - The Importance of being Idle by Oasis.

Cheerz

Mark H

Jimi75
August 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Hey Joe

wingsdad
August 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Surf stuff my cousin taught me. 'Wipe Out' by the Surfaris. (Actually, a pretty decent beginner exercise, when you think of it. Covers a lot of ground.)

marnold
August 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Probably "Country Roads" by John Denver. Totally metal, I know. That was the only time I was actually taking lessons. My instructor was using one of the Mel Bay books specifically designed to make guitar playing a tedious chore.

duhvoodooman
August 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
"Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen, followed shortly thereafter by The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun". I guess Plank Spanker & I must be of about the same vintage.... :D

I picked up the guitar strictly by ear, and have never had a lesson. Unfortunately, it shows....

Brian Krashpad
August 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm sure it was probably some trad folk song like "Jimmy Crack Corn" or "Tom Dooley" or such.

Whatever was in the Mel Bay Introduction to Guitar book, late 60's or early '70's edition.

One that I specifically remember learning early on was "House of the Rising Sun," but I'm sure I learned some I-IV-V 3-chorders before that.