PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe how good this sounds...

Jimi75
August 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
1955 Gibson LP Conversion....OMG...it sounds sooooo good....

JMfVE9i-HVc

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Sweet sounding LP! Gotta take some major cojones to start cutting up a $50,000 '55 Goldtop to do that conversion, though....

Good player, but that guy's a freakin' lunatic! :eek: :messedup: :rotflmao:

Spudman
August 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Good player, but that guy's a freakin' lunatic! :eek: :messedup: :rotflmao:

Sugar and caffeine :AOK:

That is a great sounding guitar and purdy too.

ibanezjunkie
August 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
so a vintage (awesome) guitar, a vintage AC30...so whats that...$70,000 combined?

then...BOSS and digitech economy/cheap pedals. I would expect him to use some like lovepedal or Fulltone atleast :D

nonetheless, besides his strange mix of sky-high and cheapish gear, that tone is awesome.

tunghaichuan
August 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Sugar and caffeine :AOK:

That is a great sounding guitar and purdy too.

I was thinking blow or maybe crystal meth. :eek: :messedup:

tung

vroomery
August 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah that guitar sounds amazing. I don't think there's a soul alive that would disagree. They are nuts for effectively ruining the monetary value of a 55LP. That guy can actually sing too despite the fact that he clearly took about 50 caffeine pills before they shot this.

Tig
August 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
I was thinking blow or maybe crystal meth. :eek: :messedup:
tung

Close... Hookers and blow!
:p

MichaelE
August 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Awesome sounding LP and amps.

I wonder if he does stand-up when he's not gigging. :thwap:

oldguy
August 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I loved it! The rig sounded great, and he was having a blast playing it.

marnold
August 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
An 8-Ball and a case of Red Bull.

I can't believe that Gibson originally covered that wood! From what I've read, that was not uncommon.

ibanezjunkie
August 4th, 2009, 04:11 AM
back in the 50s i believe gibson painted their les pauls solid gold because the sparkling gold finish was seen as a sign of premium quality.

solid gold = premium quality.

:) i read that in a book about the history of the gibson company, so dont hold me to it if im wrong :D

IJ.

oldguy
August 4th, 2009, 04:20 AM
back in the 50s i believe gibson painted their les pauls solid gold because the sparkling gold finish was seen as a sign of premium quality.

solid gold = premium quality.

:) i read that in a book about the history of the gibson company, so dont hold me to it if im wrong :D

IJ.

You're right, IJ, and Les himself thought it gave the guitar a classy look.

ibanezjunkie
August 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
the solid gold finish just looks tacky really, the sunburst models look much better. P-90s are the mcdonald's addicts of the single coil pups. :D

duhvoodooman
August 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
the solid gold finish just looks tacky really, the sunburst models look much better.
Well, I certainly wouldn't agree with your "tacky" assessment, as I consider the Gold Top to be a classic--and classy--finish. When well done, they are very striking guitars. But it certainly seems to be a shame to cover up wood grain like that, the 'Burst will always be the quintessential LP finish to me! Even though the Gold Tops did come first....

deeaa
August 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hm, I was expecting to write something like 'actually I don't like the sound much' but alas, that's some excellent sounds there indeed! I'm on a laptop but still...great stuff!

markb
August 5th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Gold or black were your only options in 1955. Les Paul had to request the black finish (if you believe him ;)) . But come on, guys! They've stripped the original paint off, fitted replacement pickups and a replacement bridge and tailpiece (wrap-around in 1955). By any collector's standards that guitar should be worthless :rotflmao:

The "reviewer" lost me at about 3 minutes in. It sounded nice up till then. I still find it painful to see or hear a JMI copper panel AC30 when I consider what I traded mine for :thwap:

ibanezjunkie
August 5th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't agree with your "tacky" assessment, as I consider the Gold Top to be a classic--and classy--finish. When well done, they are very striking guitars. But it certainly seems to be a shame to cover up wood grain like that, the 'Burst will always be the quintessential LP finish to me! Even though the Gold Tops did come first....

hmm maybe tacky wasnt the right word to use. but in my humble opinion, solid gold sparkly finishes are what you see in like discount stores on those little toy cars these days. Wouldnt let a gold top go if i could get one cheapish (epiphone ofcourse, i would expect to find a gibson goldtop anywhere near cheapish)

IJ.

FrankenFretter
August 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
hmm maybe tacky wasnt the right word to use. but in my humble opinion, solid gold sparkly finishes are what you see in like discount stores on those little toy cars these days. Wouldnt let a gold top go if i could get one cheapish (epiphone ofcourse, i would expect to find a gibson goldtop anywhere near cheapish)

IJ.

I think if it wasn't for the iconic stature of the goldtop, it would be somewhat tacky. But hey...who doesn't love a sweet goldtop with P-90s? I know I do. Or would, if I could... ;)

ibanezjunkie
August 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
id prefere a goldtop with gibson 50s humbuckers (like the '59) but P-90s would still be nice.

:D

Jimi75
August 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Never ever underestimate the "FORCE" of a P-90. These pus are so cool. If you have the chance to play a Gibson 56 Historic RI, I promiss you will wet your pants.

ibanezjunkie
August 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM
ive played a 59' original, but thats a 'bucker setup, so yeah.

played a PRS with P-90s, like a strat sound with more bulk.

Jimi75
August 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM
ive played a 59' original, but thats a 'bucker setup, so yeah.

played a PRS with P-90s, like a strat sound with more bulk.

PRS = not 56 Historic. I've played the PRS + P90 recently and it's an entirely different guitar. The 56 + P90 is one of the best sounding combinaton of a guitar and pu.

Tell us more about the 59 you played. Sounds interesting IJ.

ibanezjunkie
August 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
same paintjob as the guitar in the video up top, standard gibson PAFs, stopbar bridge (obviously). heavy as hell. When i did work experience at a guitar shop one of the lads who works their brought in 3 of his guitars to set them up in the shop, one of which wasan original 59' les paul, entirely original, all original pickups and circuitry. Played it through a Divided by 13 halfstack, and on clean it doesnt sound alot different to todays les pauls, but when you crank the amp the pickup's smoothness comes through crystal clear. very full sounding tone. Although, the Divided By 13 amps are handwired boutique, so im sure that helped the tone a fair bit.

theres another LP there, which has been custom shopped to be a clone of the original '59. Beautiful.

http://machinehead.co.uk/images/fl1-lg.jpg

Jimi75
August 6th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :AOK:

same paintjob as the guitar in the video up top, standard gibson PAFs, stopbar bridge (obviously). heavy as hell. When i did work experience at a guitar shop one of the lads who works their brought in 3 of his guitars to set them up in the shop, one of which wasan original 59' les paul, entirely original, all original pickups and circuitry. Played it through a Divided by 13 halfstack, and on clean it doesnt sound alot different to todays les pauls, but when you crank the amp the pickup's smoothness comes through crystal clear. very full sounding tone. Although, the Divided By 13 amps are handwired boutique, so im sure that helped the tone a fair bit.

theres another LP there, which has been custom shopped to be a clone of the original '59. Beautiful.

http://machinehead.co.uk/images/fl1-lg.jpg