PDA

View Full Version : Compression - Where are people using it in their pedal chains?

rylanmartin
August 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'm having a huge love/hate relationship with my Vox Cooltron Snake Charmer compressor this week. I'm trying to find the most beneficial place to put it in my pedal chain. I just wanted to strike up a little poll to see if more people place their compression pedal:

A - Beginning of the pedal chain, before any overdriven effects.
B - After the overdrive.
C - Effects Loop (pedal or rackmount).
D - "I don't use compression...I'm more controlled than a vegetarian in front of the bacon at a breakfast buffet."

What I think I would like to do for myself is get rid of the Vox compressor and run a little MXR Dynacomp in the beginning of my pedal Chain (A) and find a decent rackmount compressor/limiter and place it in the effects loop off of the pedal board (C).

I've been using Line6 PODs for too long and I don't think I'm too good at this whole "stompbox" thing...

Spudman
August 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
I've always had the best luck with the comp right before any dirt pedals. My chain would look like: Wah>comp>dirt> modulation>delay.

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not a big comressor user, but when I put one in my chain, it's before the gain stuff.

birv2
August 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hardly ever use it, but put it before the dirt when I do.

That may all change once I do the Allums mod on my CS-3.

vroomery
August 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm in the same boat as these guys. I still own an mxr dynacomp, but i don't ever use it. When I did it came right before the OD pedals. I just don't like how it limits my ability to dig into a note and get the best out of my ts pedal. The only benefit for me was a pinch more sustain because it would pull those soft sustaining notes up a little bit in volume.

Robert
August 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I used to sometimes use it before the gain pedals, but I stopped using compressors a long time ago. I never used it after a gain pedal.