PDA

View Full Version : Working Around Disability

Viking Power
August 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi All,

As I posted in a previous thread(Fret Hand Index Finger Disability (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11330)), I have a finger that is a bit of a challenge to fret with. A friend of mine noticed the severe struggle I was having with fretting the open C chord yesterday while I was noodling around trying to play "Stand By Me". I thought about it for a bit and then said "Hey, what if I play the open C with middle, ring and pinky?" He thought it might work alright. What say you fellow fret-heads?

bigG
August 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Sure, you can do that. Also use the second, third and forth fingers for open D, E, G and A chords as well. Many players do that very thing. :D

Viking Power
August 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Sure, you can do that. Also use the second, third and forth fingers for open D, E, G and A chords as well. Many players do that very thing. :D

Seriously, this is awesome! Not sure why my instructor didn't think to suggest it when I was taking lessons, but better late than never.

This could really solve my guitar playing struggles or at least solve those that I have right now (I'm sure more will come up, wouldn't be any fun if it were easy :D )

bigG
August 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
BTW, VK: you can also fret an F chord w those 3 fingers, but mute the high E string w your first finger, or second finger (or leave it open and you'll have an F maj7). ;)

Viking Power
August 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
BTW, VK: you can also fret an F chord w those 3 fingers, but mute the high E string w your first finger, or second finger (or leave it open and you'll have an F maj7). ;)

THANKS bigG!!!

Happy Day!!!!!

Man, this is just so cool! Can't wait to get home and pick-up an axe and start training my fingers!!!:rockon:

Viking Power
August 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Anyone care to chime in with either:

A- A website/source for alternative open chord fingerings

OR

B- Just give me fingering recommendations for the most common open chords such that the index finger is not used

I realize to a lot of you this may seem like a no-brainer/figure it out for yourself kind of thing, but I really am pretty new to the guitar and would like to borrow some tribal wisdom from anyone willing to share.......might save me hours of beating my head (or guitars) against the wall.

Thanks in advance Fretters!

bigG
August 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Sure, VP. The simple answer is this:

ANY chord-fingering chart you have (or see anywhere), where the dots show the fingering postions at fret and string, just exchange fingers 1, 2 and 3 on the chart for fingers 2, 3 and 4, in the same positions

Where the chart shows 1 = use 2, where the chart shows 2 = use 3, where the chart shows 3 = use 4. This will work for most all open chords in 1st position.

EX: open D chord, you would put finger 2 on G string, 2nd fret; finger 3 on E string, 2nd fret; finger 4 on B string, 3rd fret. Mute the low E string and play A and D strings open, as you would using fingers 1, 2 and 3.

Hope this helps! :)

Viking Power
August 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Sure, VP. The simple answer is this:

ANY chord-fingering chart you have (or see anywhere), where the dots show the fingering postions at fret and string, just exchange fingers 1, 2 and 3 on the chart for fingers 2, 3 and 4, in the same positions

Where the chart shows 1 = use 2, where the chart shows 2 = use 3, where the chart shows 3 = use 4. This will work for most all open chords in 1st position.

EX: open D chord, you would put finger 2 on G string, 2nd fret; finger 3 on E string, 2nd fret; finger 4 on B string, 3rd fret. Mute the low E string and play A and D strings open, as you would using fingers 1, 2 and 3.

Hope this helps! :)

That does help a lot bigG. Thanks!

Maybe I am over-thinking it a bit? I spent about an hour last night messing around with the 2-3-4 vs. 1-2-3 for open chords and am just hoping I don't go down any "wrong" paths....

-C worked GREAT!!!! Way better for me given my index finger issues.
-F is difficult. Is this possibly a 2-3-4 flexibility issue????
-D/E/Em/A/Am/G all good with the 2-3-4
-Strummed around with "Stand By Me" in C and I guess it was mainly F that was giving me a helluva time....

That which does not kill me makes me stronger......that which does not kill me makes me stronger......that which does not kill me.........:thwap:

bigG
August 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Nah, man! Sounds like your gettin' it down.

If it's any solace, when I first started learning guitar back in 1963, the simple first psition F chord was the hardest for me, too - the most "unnatural". :beer:

ibanezjunkie
August 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
if you play guitar hero excessively, your hands will get tired and you will become very bored.

but it did help me strengthen my pinky :D

Viking Power
August 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
if you play guitar hero excessively, your hands will get tired and you will become very bored.

but it did help me strengthen my pinky :D

I am pretty much strictly OFF video games. Can't seem to have the healthiest of relationships with them.

Did try Guitar Hero once at an electronics store. It was pretty cool but I could see many wasted hours in my future if I were to own it!:nono:

hubberjub
August 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It is something you can use to your advantage. I did this to my index finger last summer. (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7841) The band I'm in was gigging very heavily at the time. I started playing using only my middle, ring, and pinky. Those few weeks without the use of my index helped strengthen my other fingers and increase their independence of movement.

marnold
August 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I lopped off the first three fingertips on my right hand in a snowblower in 2001. It pretty much killed any chance that I would ever play fingerstyle, but as most of you are painfully aware, that wouldn't necessarily be my "thing" anyway. I had to relearn some very basic things: like how to hold a pick. The crazy thing is now I hold it "right" and almost never drop it. Before they'd be flying all over the place. I learned to tap with my pinkie which actually works out great. That way I don't have to hide the pick anywhere.

In case you'd ever feel a pity party coming on, check out a video of Django Reinhardt. What that man could do with a seriously disfigured left hand is nothing short of amazing.

Viking Power
August 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
It is something you can use to your advantage. I did this to my index finger last summer. (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7841) The band I'm in was gigging very heavily at the time. I started playing using only my middle, ring, and pinky. Those few weeks without the use of my index helped strengthen my other fingers and increase their independence of movement.

Stylish choice in stitch color my friend!:D

Thanks for sharing your experience. These kinds of stories are really helping me to "keep on keeping on". I've already added an extra millimeter or so to my pinky callus not to mention strength and stretch. Got a ways to go but it just feels good to be moving ahead.....

Viking Power
August 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I lopped off the first three fingertips on my right hand in a snowblower in 2001. It pretty much killed any chance that I would ever play fingerstyle, but as most of you are painfully aware, that wouldn't necessarily be my "thing" anyway. I had to relearn some very basic things: like how to hold a pick. The crazy thing is now I hold it "right" and almost never drop it. Before they'd be flying all over the place. I learned to tap with my pinkie which actually works out great. That way I don't have to hide the pick anywhere.

In case you'd ever feel a pity party coming on, check out a video of Django Reinhardt. What that man could do with a seriously disfigured left hand is nothing short of amazing.

Thanks for sharing Marnold! Another inspiring story for guys like me. I've watched a little Django. Need to keep some of those vids within easy reach for the pity parties. That man sure as hell didn't let anything stop him!

SharkUSMC
August 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'm currently on a break at work, but I will try to mess around when I get home and see what open voicings I can find using only three fingers that might help you out.

I know A/B/C/D/E are very easy and beautiful chords that can be played with only three fingers further up the neck. I'll see what else I can find with a guitar in hand and post the results to this thread.

Viking Power
August 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'm currently on a break at work, but I will try to mess around when I get home and see what open voicings I can find using only three fingers that might help you out.

I know A/B/C/D/E are very easy and beautiful chords that can be played with only three fingers further up the neck. I'll see what else I can find with a guitar in hand and post the results to this thread.

Thanks in advance!!!:AOK:

kiteman
August 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Good going viking. :)

I have a spinal disease which wreck havok on my nerves. Sometimes my finger (any) won't move and I gotta ad lib with my other fingers. To me it's a good exercise to alternate your fingers on the spot.

I'd suggest that you study the triads. They are the very basic 3 note chords. Music is chord based and as long as you know what the chords are, you can rock away you want.

Can you use your index finger as a barre? You don't have to do a full barre.

In the meantime.. :rockon:

player
August 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM

look what Tony Iommi did when he lost his fingertips in a machine accident.yep thimbles did the trick for him and Sabbath :D
but as stated it sounds like you are doing just fine,

marnold
August 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
look what Tony Iommi did when he lost his fingertips in a machine accident.yep thimbles did the trick for him and Sabbath :D
but as stated it sounds like you are doing just fine,
Mercifully, unlike Tony, I'm right-handed. Thus I injured my picking hand and not my fretting hand. The transition was much easier for me, I'm sure.