PDA

View Full Version : The Valve Junior Sound Files Thread

Tone2TheBone
August 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
Ok you single ended Class A amp types I want to HEAR what your Valve Juniors can do. I want MP3s....wav files....video.....movies...whatever you got. I'm tired of reading about how great they are.....now I want to hear them in action and I want video! Robert.....go get one so I can see it! The rest of you....post some live music with it!

Tone2TheBone
August 21st, 2006, 09:20 PM
No one? No one has any sound bytes of their Valve Jrs.? Really?

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2006, 12:22 AM
Here is the link to OldGuy's sample... great sound comming from a avatar cab and the Valve Jr.. http://www.savefile.com/projects/864564

Nelskie
August 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
I'd posted these clips over on DVM's Valve Jr. mod thread yesterday morning.

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=12626&postcount=33

Some of them are modded, some aren't. These aren't my own, of course, but they should at least give you some idea about how the amp sounds.

Tone2TheBone
August 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Oldguy - when you get a chance can you please PM me I want to ask you something.

I remember how good the combo sounded with humbuckers cranked. The 5 watts on that little amp are pretty loud yeah. The sweet spot as so many have mentioned is at about 2:00. I'd really like to hear some single coils on the cranked mode...and with the volume tapered off to clean while cranked. This is the sound I am interested in. I remember the sound being dark and wishing there was more treble response. Again maybe it's my hearing loss of highs that cause me to think this way about the combo. With the head version and different speakers I'm pretty sure the treble response would be much different. This is where I think the head would shine. I just wished the combo was brighter. Maybe a different speaker would be better. I know some of you changed your speakers and so off I go to research your changes on previous threads..... Thanks for posting Justa and Nelskie.

Iago
August 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
i put a small video out... thats me with the valve jr.. low volume.. its on the recording thread.. maybe its expired already..

Iago
August 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
http://rapidshare.de/files/30379589/tele_valve_jr_test.wmv.html

heres a video I made almost now.. check it out boys...

Tone2TheBone
August 22nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
Iago - Yes...YES, that is what I want. Thats the sound I want to hear. Bright radical sounding guitar played through a small Class A amp. Now that I have a Tele I really want another Valve Junior again. Thanks man!

duhvoodooman
August 22nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
There are links to short clips from my Strat & my Dot thru my modded VJr. in THIS POSTING (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=12176&postcount=28). And HERE'S (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/Strollin'_thru_the_Pearly_Gates.mp3) a clip using my LP with the VJr and my ToneDriver pedal (settings a la Nelskie), with a bit more "oomph". Hope these help!

Tone2TheBone
August 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Awesome DVM. Thanks for reposting and for the Pearly sound clip!

warren0728
August 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
something a little different....here is a short clip....electro-resonator through the valve jr.

ww

SuperSwede
August 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
Warren, very cool sound! I almost could taste the delta mud :)

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Hey Warren. Super Duper bro! Thats awesome!

oldguy
August 25th, 2006, 06:42 AM
When I was home last weekend I couldn't access savefile, problems w/ them working on their server or something. Now I have reloaded the epi valve demo clip 3 times, but when I go back later it says "no files attatched to this project". :mad: I'll try it again. Anybody else having this problem, or did my demo suck so bad that they just don't want it on there?:rolleyes:
http://savefile.com/projects/864564
Glenn

Nelskie
August 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hey oldguy - our FN buddy Justa also had some files posted up over at savefile.com, and I couldn't get to those, either - - not sure why, but here's his response: http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=12854&postcount=4

I've always been a bit skeptical about many of those file-posting sites. Often times, they kick your uploaded stuff off for no reason whatsoever. You might want to consider finding another site to post your stuff at. I might also recommend that you do a post on the "Open Mic" section - - maybe some of our fellow Fretters have some suggestions on other file-posting sites?

Anyways - just an idea. I'm anxious to hear those clips! ;)

oldguy
August 25th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks, Nelskie. Seems to be working for now. Reloaded it 4 times before it "took" and stayed.
Glenn
P.S.
Here is a short sound clip w/ the head volume @ 3 o'clock, telecaster played on -1.neck pu,-2.both pu's,- 3. bridge pu. tele volume and tone wide open. Nothing added, no effects, no Hotplate, nothing. I set the mike closer to myself than the amp to describe what I was doing, but IF YOU TURN THE VOLUME UP TO HEAR ME TALKING AT THE BEGINNING THE SOUND WILL BLOW YOUR EARS OUT WHEN I START PLAYING!!! I am not joking, that's how loud this amp is through 2x12 Celestions. If you want to hear what I'm saying about the amp on this clip, play it a few times to know when I will start playing so you can adjust the volume accordingly. I should have set the mike right against my face and shouted. The amp is LOUD. I could gig w/ it w/ no problem, even outdoors if it was miked. I wanted to demonstrate how loud and what sound you get w/ absolutely nothing but the head, a 2x12 cab, and single coil pickups. With effects it will do even more, and it loves pedals. I haven't even upgraded the tubes yet. It is a little dark sounding, seems happier w/ the Tele than HB'rs.

oldguy
August 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Here's a new one for you, Tone. See the post above and read the warning about the volume. Next time I'll yell into the mike as I record.;)
Glenn

Nelskie
August 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM
That's some tasty stuff there, oldguy. The amp sounds great, too. ;)

You'd also mentioned that a tube upgrade was in the works down the road - any ideas as to what you're thinking about as far as tubes go? I keep hearing mixed reviews on the Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-M Mullard re-issue, which is what I'd thought about using in my Jr. head. Everybody seems to be out of them, though. Maybe I'm time / money ahead just going with a J & J set. They sound great in my combo, so it'd be a safe bet that they'd sound good in the head as well. ;)

oldguy
August 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Nelskie, I can't really give much advice on tube upgrades. I always go to Bob @ Eurotubes, call or e'mail, tell him want I want (earlier/later breakup, smoother tone, etc.), he suggests something, I say "OK", he hasn't let me down yet.:)
I did another rough clip (real rough) w/ some room reverb and a little backing track. If the guitar is too irritating you can pan to the left and practice along to the track w/o listening to my playing. The music doesn't kick in for about 17 seconds, so be patient. It was a rush job:(
Glenn
Oh, I might mention I used the Hotplate on this to record @ low room volume (wife was sleeping) miked the cab up close, and it's storming here in MO today, but I didn't get too much thunder noise on there.:rolleyes:

Nelskie
August 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Not actually seeking tube advice, oldguy. Just curious to know what your ears are hearing using the amp totally stock. And then, what ideas you have in regards to how you'd eventually like it to sound (earlier break-up, brighter top end, etc.) I hear and read so many different opinions about what people think of the Jr.'s sound, and its nuances. Personally, I think it has some very Marshall-y characteristics, such as a thick, pronounced mid-range. That being said, it's one of the tones I will seek to enhance further as I try different things with it. Anyways - hope that makes more sense.

And yes - the guys at Eurotubes do a nice job in tailoring their tubes to get the tones players want.

oldguy
August 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM
OK, Nels, gotcha. Well, I think the head would sound better with the bright sw. mod for sure, especially w/ humbuckers. Also, I'm guessing a good tube swap will "smooth out" some of the breakup characteristics. Mine has some good even-order harmonics, but I wouldn't mind it breaking up a little later. I have to agree with you about the Marshall thing, it can sure get some tone mojo when it's cranked. I've also wondered what a pair (or quad) of 10" Eminence speakers would do in a closed-back cab. The bad monkey can give it some good bite, I've been able to get some pretty good feedback at decent volumes out of it with the monk. I guess I'd say that stock it 1- needs more brightness 2- could break up later 3- speakers will make a difference.
Of course, you can dial in more high end with a pedal. I do that w/ the monk. Now I'm thinking I may need an EQ pedal.:rolleyes: Hmmm. Any suggestions?
Glenn

Cranium
August 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I been thinking about replacing tubes in the Jr combo too, but I never biased a tube amp before, do you any of you know the easiest way to do this?

oldguy
August 27th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cranium, I don't think you need to (even can, for that matter), bias a class A single ended amp. Just pull out the old tubes and put in the new ones (carefully). Check w/ some of our more tech-educated brother fretters, maybe start a new thread to get some advice.
Glenn

Justaguyin_nc
August 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I might mention I used the Hotplate on this to record @ low room volume (wife was sleeping) miked the cab up close, and it's storming here in MO today, but I didn't get too much thunder noise on there.:rolleyes:

Excellent clips showing off the Epi Valve Jr. head and The Celestion Cab OLDGUY! Many thanks for helping the G.A.S. stay with me...:( :)

duhvoodooman
August 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Cranium, I don't think you need to (even can, for that matter), bias a class A single ended amp. Just pull out the old tubes and put in the new ones (carefully).
Absolutely correct, Glenn.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Here's a new one for you, Tone. See the post above and read the warning about the volume. Next time I'll yell into the mike as I record.;)
Glenn

WOW. Is that through your Avatar cabinet? That smokes! Man that Tele sounded awesome through it! Hmmm...maybe I CAN lug around a single 12 cab AND the VJ head on my future fishing trips. :)

I agree with you too in that the VJ sounds "best" with a Tele. The way the pickups react from the Tele would balance out the darkness of the amp. Your recording was excellent. You can clearly hear sparkling highs and the sweet low end. That was great thanks! I'm thinking that head would sound wicked through my 4x12 Marshall! (right Nelskie!?) :DR

Nelskie
August 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking that head would sound wicked through my 4x12 Marshall! (right Nelskie!?) :DR
Wicked indeed! If you have a 4x12 cab and don't own one of these Valve Jr. heads - man, you're really missing out on something special tone-wise. This little rig kills thorugh my 1x12 cab, so I would only imagine that it would absolutely wail with 4x the sound - - as our friend oldguy has very ably demonstrated on this thread. And the other thing I'd mention, too - don't underestimate the tone of a Les Paul through this amp. It takes a little bit more time to dial in - but well worth the effort! ;)

duhvoodooman
August 28th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking that head would sound wicked through my 4x12 Marshall!
Let me second that emotion! My pro guitarist buddy at work recently bought a VJr head and has been playing it through one of his 4x12 Marshall cabs, and he just can't get over how good it sounds--and that he paid a mere $99 for it. GO FOR IT, TONE!!!

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Wicked indeed! If you have a 4x12 cab and don't own one of these Valve Jr. heads - man, you're really missing out on something special tone-wise. This little rig kills thorugh my 1x12 cab, so I would only imagine that it would absolutely wail with 4x the sound - - as our friend oldguy has very ably demonstrated on this thread. And the other thing I'd mention, too - don't underestimate the tone of a Les Paul through this amp. It takes a little bit more time to dial in - but well worth the effort! ;)

$99.00 is dirt cheap for an amp like this. I wonder if the price will go up anytime soon? I see MF has it listed at almost $150.00 regular price and I guess even then it would still be a deal.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Let me second that emotion! My pro guitarist buddy at work recently bought a VJr head and has been playing it through one of his 4x12 Marshall cabs, and he just can't get over how good it sounds--and that he paid a mere $99 for it. GO FOR IT, TONE!!!

After I get my Callaham steel trem block I just might!

Nelskie
October 2nd, 2006, 05:47 AM
The folks from Mercury Magnetics finally got around to recording some clips that showcase their mod kit(s). The link to the sound clips is above the photo:

http://www.amp-exchange.com/e107_plugins/flashmp3_menu/playmp3.php?Modified%20amp%20samples.xspf

We've discussed the Mercury Magnetics kit over on the "original" Valve Jr. thread, but if you are curious to know more about it, you can find out here:

http://mercurymagnetics.com/pages/specials/ValveJrPjt/EVJ-01.htm