PDA

View Full Version : What's yer best OD pedal? Duh, any ideas?

deeaa
August 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I don't change my setup very often, but one thing I do vary some is OD pedals.

I've used a few tubescreamer variations, liked 'em...and then gone back to Marshall Jackhammer. (very little drive, OD mode, some boost - sounds very much like a cranked old JCM800 on my Ceriatone and loses no definition).

I also bought a BOSS Od-2 (I think - the yellow one) and I loved that too, but then in comparison, again I reverted to the Jackhammer. For a really big part though I only use a compressor to make the ceria scream, or sometimes a tech-21 clean boost.

Now I understand Duhvoodooman builds pedals and understands a lot of them...is there really much difference between the pedals, or is it just between the ears? What would be your suggestions? Remember I live in Finland so I have no access to his or many other boutique pedals.

What I would like is an OD pedal that has bare minimum of controls - wouldn't change the sound very much but still give my already very crunchy EL84 amp sing 'over the edge'. I need only one setting on it anyway, I hate pedals with lots of options and tone knobs and whatnot - no need for those. Just gain and maybe volume is already too much :-)

I wonder if I should also try some distortion pedals, maybe I could get something out of those as well...haven't really owned distortions in 10 years or so, except all those modelers I've played. Well there's a distortion mode in the jackhammer, but it isn't too good - quite buzzy.

But...anybody know a tubescreamer that retains clarity well and doesn't clutter up or darken the sound much?

Oh one more thing...I don't really like tube pedals/drivers in front of a 100% tube amp either...it gets way too saturated/thick and warm, gets that buzzy quality just like Santana and Moore and even Slash etc...I hate that guitar hero warm thick 'easy listening' sound, it's gotta have some liveliness and edge to it.

vroomery
August 5th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I've you're looking for a quality OD pedal that isn't too complicated you should check out the Lovepedal COT 50 (Church of Tone).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxRLlKVKH7U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxRLlKVKH7U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thats a pretty good review of it, but it really sounds and feels amazing in person.

I think tubescreamers are kind of like ice cream. They are all sweet but they all taste a little different and everyone has their own preference. Some days I really like my typical ts-808 clone, but somedays I really want the smooth sound of my fulldrive 2. Its all in what you hear and how your feeling that day. Most of us can't settle on one OD for too long.

tunghaichuan
August 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
You might try to find an Ibanez TS-9DX Turbo Distortion. Very common througout the world.

QP6GUQRzWjU

It has four different modes of OD from vintage Tube Screamer sounds to modern boutique Tube Screamer sounds.

tung

Gutmann
August 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM
And if you want to compare a few, try this cool thing:

http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortionoverdrive-pedal-shootout/the-od-pedal-comparinator/

Tig
August 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
And if you want to compare a few, try this cool thing:

http://www.oldtonezone.com/distortionoverdrive-pedal-shootout/the-od-pedal-comparinator/

Excellent comparison tool. Thanks for posting it!

The Holy Fire Overdrive/Distortion pedal from Creation Audio Labs (http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/holyfire) is quite an impressive pedal. Use the oldtonezone.com "comparinator" tool and run it against the other pedals, and you might agree. The Bad Monkey is one of the best overdrive pedals for the money.

hubberjub
August 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
My Lovepedal Eternity does the EL-84 thing very well. It also cleans up very well with your volume.

tunghaichuan
August 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
The Holy Fire Overdrive/Distortion pedal from Creation Audio Labs (http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/holyfire) is quite an impressive pedal. Use the oldtonezone.com "comparinator" tool and run it against the other pedals, and you might agree. The Bad Monkey is one of the best overdrive pedals for the money.

That Holy Fire pedal sounds pretty good. I wish that the guy doing the demo would turn off the reverb and let us hear the pedal unaffected.

Here's another demo:

CtwPds67wfo

Thanks for giving me GAS, Tig :poke: :D :rotflmao:

tung

Tig
August 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for giving me GAS, Tig :poke: :D :rotflmao:
tung

You're welcome! I guess you owe me.

The pedal has a huge rage, but still retains your original tone better than most, all while staying fairly simple. G for gain (nice clean boost). O for overdrive. D for distortion. The bottom knob cuts out either high or low frequencies. Roll off your volume at any pedal setting still produces a great nearly bypassed tone without sounding muddy.

The Vince Genella demo digs into the controls at around 1:30, and yes, he's using way too much reverb in the last part.

Here's a good demo...

AdAcOXCNzUo

ibanezjunkie
August 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
another one from lovepedal! the Purple Plexi overdrive.

cranked marshall tones, as you could guess from the name. and its purple.

its one-up from the church of tone, as mentioned by the PGS guy.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWe2eiHo7FY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWe2eiHo7FY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pes_laul
August 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I know everyone was talking about how cool their bad monkeys were so I wanted to be one of the popular kids so I bought one. Up to date it is been my favorite overdrive pedal Ive played/owned.

also it's sits pretty nice between 50 and 60$

ibanezjunkie
August 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM
the purple plexi is $200

bit of a margin on the bad monkey :P

Perfect Stranger
August 7th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I'd say my BBE Green Screamer or my BBE Crusher

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Now I understand Duhvoodooman builds pedals and understands a lot of them...is there really much difference between the pedals, or is it just between the ears?
There is certainly a wide range of difference between the countless OD pedals out there. It's true that many are variations on the Tube Screamer circuit--not surprising, because it's a great sounding effect in many people's opinion, my own included. But there are OD pedals that far different from the old TS design and have their own unique sound, and it's even possible to substantially alter the characteristic TS tone by changing a just handful of components.

You don't have to spend a fortune for a good sounding OD pedal either. While there are any number of $300 - $400 boutique pedals out there, there are also great sounding overdrives like the Digitech Bad Monkey or the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive that can be had for under $50. Obviously, you're not going to get a handbuilt & customized pedal of the type I offer for that kind of price, but you can still get a good sounding OD.

But...anybody know a tubescreamer that retains clarity well and doesn't clutter up or darken the sound much?
The aforementioned Danelectro Transparent Overdrive fits this description well. Another pedal that I have been very impressed with is the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver with the Allums "H2O Plus" modification installed. This is the most transparent overdrive pedal I own (though the BYOC British Blues is very close) and has plenty of treble clarity and top-end bite. Lots of gain, too, when dialed way up. The BD-2 is widely available, and Allums ships their mod kits internationally.

Remember I live in Finland so I have no access to his or many other boutique pedals.
You guys have mail over there, right? ;) I don't know about those "other boutique pedals", but the ol' Voodoo Man has been known to send a pedal or two across the big pond under some circumstances.... :D

SuperSwede
August 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
You guys have mail over there, right? ;) I don't know about those "other boutique pedals", but the ol' Voodoo Man has been known to send a pedal or two across the big pond under some circumstances.... :D

Listen to Duh Vodooman and decide on a botique pedal built for you! The shipping and handling is about 13 usd which equals a bottle of finnish Koskenkorva Vodka... :bravo:

deeaa
August 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Well, I'd hate to spend 200+ on an od pedal sight(ear) unheard, so I guess I'll first check out the Bad Monkey which is common enough 'round here, and then see if I can find the Danelectro. If those fail to gratify enough, I'll look into the BD-2 mod thingy.

This is sort of a difficult matter...you know, I'm happy with what I have, so reluctant to spend bigger money, yet there's always this nagging feeling maybe something out there is better...:-) plus I can't think of anything else I could hunt for or improve on my guitar gear, so I really feel the need to go look and shop for something - anything - but just can't think of anything I could use other than another OD pedal.

I have a bad habit of selling off good gear too. I had this amazing old DOD pedal, tubeFX 100 or something, which was crap on my full rig but simply :amazing: in front of an SS amp like a Cube or whatever. I really regret selling that one...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestions...something to hunt for a good while now :-)

deeaa
August 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
BTW I tried the comparison thingy, and...well I just can't hear any differences between the pedals listed. I dunno if there's a problem, but those sound exactly alike to me. Live, I hear plenty difference...but those clips, nada.

Robert
August 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I find the Danelectro Drive as well as the Transparent Overdrive sound significantly better than the Bad Monkeh. At least with my Suhr and my amps.

Gutmann
August 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
BTW I tried the comparison thingy, and...well I just can't hear any differences between the pedals listed. I dunno if there's a problem, but those sound exactly alike to me. Live, I hear plenty difference...but those clips, nada.

Try with some good headphones.. They made very similar soundclips and some pedals nearly sound the same - but there is a difference. The medium gain-comparison shows a lot of the character of each pedal.

R.B. Huckleberry
August 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
The Fulltone OCD retains my original tone. Just makes it dirtier. The plain ol' Boss BD-2 will keep your sound intact EQ-wise, but add some fur around the edges.

schenkadere
August 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I'd say my BBE Green Screamer or my BBE Crusher

The Green Screamer is a great OD...probably my favorite TS type...on my board now. Didn't care for the Crusher though.

Robert
August 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Nobody has said it yet, so I will. DuhVoodooMan's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer is BY FAR the best TS-style OD pedal I have ever owned. There.

Out of the milder OD pedals, the Transparent Overdrive by Danelectro is a true winner.

duhvoodooman
August 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Nobody has said it yet, so I will. DuhVoodooMan's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer is BY FAR the best TS-style OD pedal I have ever owned. There.
:D :dude: :D :dude: :D

Thank you, Robert! I agree with you, not surpisingly, but it would have been self-serving of me to post anything of that sort. But it's great to get an endorsement from an accomplished guitarist with a good ear!

Tig
August 13th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Thank you, Robert! I agree with you, not surpisingly, but it would have been self-serving of me to post anything of that sort. But it's great to get an endorsement from an accomplished guitarist with a good ear!

Would that happen to be the BYOC Overdrive 2 (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html), by any chance? :AOK:
Now that's a pedal that will likely get built by me very soon.
:D

marnold
August 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Would that happen to be the BYOC Overdrive 2 (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html), by any chance? :AOK:
That'd be the one. I've got a version of that one as well that DVM made without some of the ZYS II features. I like it a lot. Nevertheless, it might be to DVM's benefit if he NOT get an endorsement from a hack like me.

I like it anyway :) There goes your reputation, DVM.

duhvoodooman
August 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Yup, the ZYS Mark II is built from that kit, along with some of my own tweaks and modifications, notably a switch that lets you put the onboard boost either before or after the OD stage. Gory details HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11873)....

The BYOC Overdrive 2 kit is a great design--highly recommended for you DIY'ers! :AOK:

SharkUSMC
August 14th, 2009, 05:45 AM
As the owner of the ZYS Mark II serial #1, I can only promise it will some day be released back to vintage collectors at one of the finer auction houses. Until then, I'm sure DVM would be happy to put another one together for anyone wanting one.

It is almost a shame that I own this pedal, as I have no doubt it has far more sounds than I'm able to coax from it as a neophyte. And yet, I'm grateful to have such a solid tool to help me craft my tone.

Please accept yet another endorsement of your craftsmanship.

sunvalleylaw
August 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Shark, that is how I feel about the Rodent, more cool sounds than my skill and experience can access. But a great one to grow with. And to combine the rodent with the ZYS together, look out! I cannot specifically endorse the ZYS for deeaa's specific needs as he stated them, but I am sure it is super versatile. Deeaa says a tube screamer that doesn't clutter up the sound. I don't know, because I haven't played one, but I bet the ZYS could be dialed in that way. Bare minimum controls? Nope. Will take some twiddling to get there. Robert will need to advise more specifically if possible.

M29
August 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Man Shark you are getting me all pumped up, I have an order in for one too. The suspense is unbearable. :rockon:

M

Monkus
August 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Got my ZYS Mk II from DVM today but alas, was delivered at the office. I'm hearing all sorts of imaginary overdrive goodness ! :D

jpfeifer
August 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I just bought the Fulltone OCD recently. It's absolutely the best overdrive pedal I've ever had. It doesn't color your sound too much, and it's very dynamic. It feels more like playing through a real amp. It cleans up nicely when you turn down the guitar volume, but then it screams when you turn up.

Check out this demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pWDtBTd4g

-- Jim

ibanezjunkie
August 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
DVM ships international but doesnt have insurance on it i believe.

all the lovepedal models are available at proguitarshop which i think ship international.

Fulltone OCD, Divided by 13 Joyride and the Mad Professor Sky Blue OD are all great boutique quality pedals. (all relatively average in price for quality pedals, apart from the mad prof, which is £225 which is roughtly $400-500 i believe.)

footnote - the mad professor pedals are made in finland by hand, so i hope they are available there!

duhvoodooman
August 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
DVM ships international but doesnt have insurance on it i believe.
Some clarification on this statement:

I typically use USPS First Class International Package as my shipping method for non-US destinations, which is very reasonably priced but offers no insurance option. If someone has another shipping option they want me to use and it's (1) readily available to me, and (2) they're willing to pay the additional cost, I'll certainly consider it! For international purchases, I REQUIRE payment by PayPal and shipment to a confirmed address. And you'll need to have been a member here for more than 10 minutes! :D

M29
August 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
My ZYS Mk II is in transit. Can't wait to plug it in.:rockon: Robert's demo's sound great!

deeaa
August 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Duh, do you have a list/explanations of your pedals, prices etc?

duhvoodooman
August 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Duh, do you have a list/explanations of your pedals, prices etc?
Pedal pages on my website:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/diy_effects_image_select.html

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/diy_effects_image_select_2.html
Click on the indvidual pedal thumbnails to open a page with a description of each pedal.

Ordering info:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/pedal_inquiry.htm

Price list:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/price_list.gif

I primarily use Buildyourownclone.com kits for by pedal builds. You can check out their product line here:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fxkitindex.html

marnold
August 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
For an extra fiver he'll do all the soldering wearing nothing but the official Fret thong. Talk about adding to the degree of difficulty!

ibanezjunkie
August 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM
For an extra fiver he'll do all the soldering wearing nothing but the official Fret thong. Talk about adding to the degree of difficulty!

DVM pedals, made in USA! (just like the thongs!)

sumitomo
August 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
DVM pedals, made in USA! (just like the thongs!)

And make sure you put the potato in the front of your thong,you dont want Emma or the guys in the band laughing at you. Sumi:D:rotflmao:

M29
August 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I think I might send mine back................This talk of a thong kinda weirds me out. :eek:

sumitomo
August 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Oh and my best pedal is my potato masher,err I mean my Rabid Rodent,DVM made me of course!Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
August 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I think I might send mine back................This talk of a thong kinda weirds me out. :eek:
Sorry, no refunds for the squeamish! ;) :rotflmao:

marnold
August 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Don't worry--as long as you didn't pay the extra $5, you're safe. As far as you know.

deeaa
August 24th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well guys, I listened to some demos and decided to try the Danelectro Transparent...especially since it was way cheap. Only about forty euros with all the freight and stuff from the U.S! Seems it'd be a great time to buy stuff overseas now the dollar is low compared to the Euro.

Anyway, from now on I think I will not sell my OD pedals forward any more. There are so many I regret selling...especially I long after the FX100 RealTube DOD. That was a killer pedal to liven up SS or D/I sounds. Oh well.

I'll report how the Danelectro works for me once I get it....will take a week I suppose at least.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Don't worry--as long as you didn't pay the extra $5, you're safe. As far as you know.

LOL!!!! The Rev is on a roll today!

Deeaa, I hope you enjoy it and it does what you are looking for!

ibanezjunkie
August 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM
the beauty of sodlering in a thong...

everytime you try to rearrange your goods you burn your leg at 400 degrees.

:rotflmao:

M29
August 25th, 2009, 05:34 AM
You guys crack me up:rotflmao:

Robert
August 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
The Transparent OD is a great pedal, but it doesn't have a lot of gain (not supposed to either), like the ZYS, so they very different pedals.

ibanezjunkie
August 25th, 2009, 07:27 AM
from what i hear, DVM's ZYS has more saturation than the bad monkey and the Transparent OD. Something like the DVM OD2 has a alot of options on it (like Marnold's Thesis pedal) and should be very versatile.

just make sure you pay him $10 to NOT wear the thong :rotflmao:

marnold
August 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
My Thesis pedal has a lot more gain on tap, although you can control that with the internal trim pot if you are so inclined. It's also a lot brighter than a regular Tube Screamer clone. I find myself rarely turning the tone knob past noon. The gain and tone at 9:00 A.M. would give you roughly the same sound as my old TO800 with both of those set at noon.

duhvoodooman
August 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
My Thesis pedal has a lot more gain on tap, although you can control that with the internal trim pot if you are so inclined.
And if it's gain you're after, my ZYS Mark II version of this pedal will give you even more by letting you switch the boost stage in front of the OD stage.

AAMOF, I just completed a ZYS Mk II build for a non-Fretter who specifically wanted muy grande gain, so I built the pedal to run 5x the normal TS808 gain factor, rather than the 2x that is my standard ZYS setup. While testing it, I dialed up the overdrive gain pot to near max. and switched on the boost in front of the OD--definitely sounded more like an outright distortion pedal than an OD at that point. Tons of "hair" and lots of compression/sustain....

ibanezjunkie
August 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
the ZYS Mk.II sounds like a juicy little number.

deeaa
August 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
The Transparent OD is a great pedal, but it doesn't have a lot of gain (not supposed to either), like the ZYS, so they very different pedals.

That should work for me...my base sound is already driven so when I use a TS or something, it's 1/4 gain maximum usually. When I kick in the compressor it's already in ultra-gain territory.

I don't want a lot of gain, I need every string to be hearable as its own when full chording....but I do need some OD.

Robert
August 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Dee, you will like the TOD then. It is a really, really nice sounding pedal! It's very "dynamic" and reacts well to how you play and adjust the guitar's volume knob.

ibanezjunkie
August 27th, 2009, 05:44 AM
i just ordered the Dano Cool Cat Drive. its the furrier big bro (it you say) of the Trans. OD.

Robert has great sound clips of both on youtube.