PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the "static noise" problem on Strats

jpfeifer
August 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I decided to start a new thread on this tip for quieting down a noisy strat pickguard since this treatment really works.

The symptom of this problem is a cracking noise that happens when you rub your fingers across your pickguard. This problem happens due to static build up on your pickguard. It's a common problem on Strats and Tele style guitars since there is a large piece of plastic that can hold a lot of static over time. If you live in a dry climate like I do, the problem seems to be even worse.

Here is a method to fix this problem once and for all. It's kind of a pain to do but you will be very happy with the results once you have this finished.

1) First, you will need to remove your pickguard and all of the hardware attachched to it such as the pickup selector, pots, pickups, etc. (this is part that is a pain)

2) Once you have your pickguard free of any attached hardware turn it over so that you're looking at the back side.

3) Get some rubber cement with the small brush applicator, commonly found at stores that sell school supplies.

4) Get some aluminum foil and cut off a piece that is large enough to cover your entire pickguard.

5) Using the rubber cement, apply rubber cement to the entire back side of your pickguard.

6) While the rubber cement is still wet, apply the large piece of aluminum foil to the entire back side of your pickguard, held in place by the rubber cement.

7) Using a razor knife, trip the aluminum foil so that it matches the shape of your pickguard. Trim any holes for the pots, pickups, etc. When you're finished the pickguard will be completely covered with aluminum foil on the back, but you won't be able to see it from the front side if you've neatly trimed it around the edges. Note: make sure not to trim away too much of the foil from around the holes for the pots, etc. You will want the top side of the pot casings to make contact with the aluminum foil. This is what will provide the ground across the entire piece of foil since the pots are already typically grounded to the bridge.

8) Re-attach all of your hardware to your foil-covered pickguard in the same way that it was attached before (pickups, pots, pickup selector).

9) Re-attach the completed pickguard back onto your guitar and put your strings back on.

After doing this treatment, you should no longer have any issues with static noise coming from your pickguard and your guitar should be noticably quieter.

-- Jim

Nelskie
August 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for providing detailed instructions on this fix, Jim. :) It's now on my "to do" list for this coming weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

duhvoodooman
August 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Good stuff, Jim. I have to do that on the pickguards of my LP and my Dot, because both of them pick up static and then crackle when I brush my fingers across the guard. Wiping them with a Bounce dryer antistatic sheet helps for a while, but I really need a more permanent solution.

In the same vein, here's a link to the GuitarNuts website with a whole bunch of stuff for quieting down Strats:

Taming the Beast (http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php)