PDA

View Full Version : Cable noise

marnold
August 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I must ask DVM for forgiveness for something I never said publicly (or actually to anyone else except that voice in my head). I was concerned because my Thesis 96 pedal seemed to be adding unwanted noise even when disengaged. It was really bugging me. I was thisclose to emailing DVM about it. I unplugged the pedal from the 1-Spot and the noise went away. Hmm. As I went to plug is back in, I noticed that the hum kicked in even before it was plugged back in all the way. Turns out my cheap cable going from my pedals to my amp is SO poorly shielded that it was picking up noise from the 1-Spot's plug. I had never noticed it before because I never had a pedal with the output and power jacks so close. I swapped it out with my son's cable. No hum. I've been planning to replace that for some time, but this accelerates the schedule.

Since the Thesis 96 is true-bypass, that cable was also showing some minor tone-suck--mainly the loss of "presence" for the lack of a better term. And here I was wishing the treble on my amph went to 11.

On a related note, does anybody make a pedal patch cable with one straight and one right-angle plug? That'd be handy for, say, going from my top-loading Thesis 96 into my side-loading EX-7.

markb
August 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
George L's? Make whatever arrangement you like. No soldering skills required and, as long as you don't want tons of cables, not that expensive.

http://www.georgels.co.uk/pedalandpatchcables.htm