PDA

View Full Version : NGD! Well, a month ago: Taylor SolidBody

bigG
August 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
A little over a month ago, I sold my Ric 360/12 so as to be able to afford my NEW Taylor SolidBody Classic!

An absolutely amazingly beautiful guitar in every way. Action, fit and finish to die for, and the sweetest tone I've ever heard from a 6-string electric. Very bell-like, beautifully rounded tones when clean, and w the innovative 5-way selector switch (+ coil-tap), it can get rather thin and spanky like a tele, close to a strat, and very much like a Ric 360 6-string. It's in some twilight zone that's not quite as heavy as a LP or SG, and not quite as quacky or twangy or thin as a strat or tele.

Taylor makes a big deal out of this guitar's unique sound due to its newly developed 3/4 humbuckers, and rightly so! Also, there is absolutely NO heel - the neck simply joins the body in a patented single-bolt T-Lok system that is very unique, and, along w their newly developed bridge, which is SO shallow and close to the body that it does not get in the way whatsoever (and is covered w a beautifully scalloped shield), it's truly a unique experience to play, both for the left hand and the right hand.

And, as usual, I don't have pics, so here's the link to my new SolidBody Classic on Taylor's site (I got the white one). Take a look at the unique new features I've described and read a little more about Taylor's attempt to improve on the solidbody electric guitar. I think they've done a magnificent job and I am in love w my new baby, baby:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/Electric/Models/ModelDetails.aspx?modelid=1

A very happy G! :D

(PS: I will also write a review of my latest purchase, which I made just today: a new 2009 Fender Standard HSS (Fat Strat / Lake Placid Blue w rosewood fretboard) that I've been playing for the last 3 1/2 hours since I brought it home. Under "Fender", of course. Probably not tonight as I'm tuckered out, but soon. I am in love w my new Fender, also! These new MIM Strats are amazing! I chose it easily over the Highway One, which is what I had planned on buying, and a very nice guitar. But this MIM Fat Strat has a better tone, more tonal variations, equal playability, and cost $200 less! Love that humbucker in the bridge position!)

Kazz
August 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
aww how cute....you bought a Taylor Swift Signature Guitar :-)

J/K but she does play one similar how does it sound?

hubberjub
August 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Nice. That's the model that you can swap out the pickguard for different pickup configurations, right?

Robert
August 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Congrats, Taylors are nice. There was a Taylor guitar show in Edmonton a couple of days ago, but I couldn't go.

tot_Ou_tard
August 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Very cool bigG. I like innovation in guitar/pickup design.

I have a hard time imagining what it sounds like, but it's good to hear that you like it.

just strum
August 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I watched the videos and I really like that guitar. I haven't noticed any in teh stores I occasionally go to, but I will be keeping an eye out for one just to give it a test drive.

bigG
August 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks, guys!

It's hard to describe the sound in words. Kinda like dancing to architecture...just hard to do. :)

Kazz: hey man, Taylor Swift is kewl! :D

hubber: yep! Loaded interchangeable pickguards in ANY configuration ($195 each). Haven't bought any additional ones yet, but I will someday, I'm sure. I'm enjoying the stock "prototype" - as-Taylor-intended sound too much right now.

Robert: Thanks! Sorry you missed that. I think you would have atleast found it interesting. Taylor's doing some very cool innovation.

tot: thanks, man. me, too!

strum: thanks, man. Glad you took the time to watch and see what this guit is all about. Good to know you're interested. Report back if you find one to check out! Whether thumbs up or thumbs down, man. I don't think this guitar is for everybody, but its quality, playability and uniqueness are unquestionable.

G

MAXIFUNK
August 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Very nice AXE!
I have had GAS for these for over a year now.
But the next time I drop that kinda coin on axe it will be for an
Ibanez SR Prestige Series Bass! Now if I hit the lottery :)
That axe with several pick guard options and T3 is on my short GAS list for sure.

Enjoy your new guitar or should I say Guitars.

Maxi.........................:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
August 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Congrats, it looks beautiful!

bigG
August 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Maxi and SVL! I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and post! :beer:

BTW, fellow fretters, I FORGOT to mention the Taylor hardshell case that's included. A very classy brown tolex w black stitched endcaps and brass-looking Taylor Logo! First class all the way!

Katastrophe
August 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Congrats! I played one at a guitar store in Austin a few months ago. Fit n' finish were fantastic, and it played well. Can't comment on the tones from the p'ups, though. I was playing through a crappy amph.