PDA

View Full Version : New old demo song

deeaa
August 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Ashes & Bones; originally I did this solo in 2005, now re-recorded and mixed with a drummer just now. So it's me on guitars, bass and vocals; keys by a guy called BNC and the drummer is called LZM.

It's still a bit beta mixingwise, but near. Any comments welcome, please! I fear it may be too bass-rich for one. But I don't think I'll re-record anything much unless something really sticks out. Coulda had a more ripping solo but, well, I guess it's fine. I like the way it's almost outta hand w/vibrato/bends, not too neat which I hate in guitars. I just added the last vocal bit 5 minutes before posting this.

Recorded mostly at home on my computer; drummer did his parts at his home naturally. Used my Ceriatone for some guitars, Tech-21 TM-10 for others.
http://deeaa.pp.fi/09DM/Ashesnbones_test5_mast.mp3

All the guitar etc. time-based & modulation FX are after-the-fact, I hate committing myself to certain FX I can't change later so I never use any when I play live or record.

SuperSwede
August 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Cool recording, sounded a little like The Rasmus..

MichaelE
August 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM
That sounded good. Actually better than good.

The only thing I'd adjust is the ride cymbal early in the song. On these crappy computer speakers I'm using, it sounded very professional.

What monitors did you use to mix?

deeaa
August 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Surfing on my cell phone, so shortly:I have a pair of b&w speakers hung from ceiling, a yamaha sub and then a computer 2.1 speaker system for checking. Akg studio240 earphones.

This will still be remixed...he will replay the drums too, if I know him, maybe 3-4 times more :-) and there are several issue spots still, vox off time here and there, some fx automation issues etc. to be fixed. I may have to rebuild the project with submxes too.

Suhnton
August 17th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Good stuff deeaa. I wonder if you could give some insight as to how you did the mix/mastering etc.

deeaa
August 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Good stuff deeaa. I wonder if you could give some insight as to how you did the mix/mastering etc.

Sure, my pleasure!

I record either on my laptop or desktop in Cubase LE 90% of the time; came with the soundcard (Presonus Firepod, 8 inputs, Firewire)...depending if I want a 'live' guitar or whatever or if D/I will do. This is mostly 'live' and my Ceriatone...I think the solo is D/I though. Can't remember.

Drums are from my buddy's electric kit to MIDI and sounds off Drumkit from hell superior (I think it was). He sends the drums to me as ready WAV files as 6-8 separate tracks I can easily mix into it.

Mixing varies on where I do it, but this was on Cubase 3; I use most FX and compressors directly online - I rather use several simple (free plugin etc.) stuff than a complex one plugin. I might have 50 plugins on the tracks. I think this one is around 25 tracks and a minimum of 50 plugins. Every channel at least has a gate and a compressor usually on sidechain (frequency-specific compression), of course EQ's etc.

On the master channel I have some spectrum analyzers, exciters and master compressors, 2-3 usually, and it outputs a rather ready master mix. Which I will later master with some EQ, perhaps some enhancers etc. and some more compression and limiting.

As a rule I don't use volume curves very much, I rather just snip the wav file in pieces and adjust each part's volume directly. But I use a lot of FX curves, for instance to kill verbs right after each snare hit etc. or to bring up delay only on certain parts etc.

When I'm lucky I get to use a proper listening room with nice big Genelecs and KRK's but usually it's at home w/ just my B&W's and AKG's. This one has been mixed twice at a better facility already, so I get a pretty good picture of what I want already for it.

Sometimes I work for years on a single song...this was 1st recorded and mixed in 2005, both at home and at a pro studio, and now it's been 99% replayed but the same mix still pretty much applies...easy to save all the settings so no reason to start from scratch with old songs.

The reason I work so slow on 'em is I have no time...I mean, I've written six new songs in the past few weeks, two almost ready but strictly demos still, and four not even committed to any recording as of yet....and I have 12 more of these older songs to re-do and re-work, so I get to whatever I can whenever I can. I just added new drums to this on the way to work but haven't listened to 'em yet. Maybe on weekend...maybe I'll work on some new songs instead. Whatever feels appropriate, there's no rush whatsoever. As long as there's always songs to work with :-) I have to write the lyrics to all the new songs also one of these nights. I write a lot of songs, I believe I've even recorded hundreds and even copyrighted to ASCAP, but 90% of them never get listened to by anybody except maybe some of my friends, LOL. I don't have any energy or will to promote any of the stuff really. As long as I get to do 'em it's enough.

There is pretty much zero commercial value on my stuff anyway.

Right now I also have this song for mastering, due to release from a local band on CD...need to do that first because it's a 'paying job' not just my own demos.

Suhnton
August 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
But I use a lot of FX curves, for instance to kill verbs right after each snare hit etc. or to bring up delay only on certain parts etc.

Wow, I never thought of doing this :thwap:
Cheers for the tip.