PDA

View Full Version : New Gig Rig

helliott
August 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Finally settled on the rig for The Hammer Daddies, doing second gig at a waterfront festival Aug. 15. #1 Strat, Baha Tele, AB Box, through Vox Tone Lab to Fender Blues DeVille reissue.
Here's the a link to kid photos:
http://www.box.net/shared/mx77axpq4n

deeaa
August 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Finally settled on the rig for The Hammer Daddies, doing second gig at a waterfront festival Aug. 15. #1 Strat, Baha Tele, AB Box, through Vox Tone Lab to Fender Blues DeVille reissue.
Here's the a link to kid photos:
http://www.box.net/shared/mx77axpq4n

How're you liking the BRD? That's a 4x10", huh? I used to have a 2x12" which was pretty nice. A little shrill but eq adjustments were OK. Here's how it sounded on an old demo of ours (main/rhythm guitar):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~juho/bm/BM_Tahdon_olla_se_mies.MP3

It's funny, 10 years ago them Fender amps were what you had to buy because they were all you could afford. A Marshall would be roughly ten times more expensive than a normal Fender, not to mention Mesa Boogie etc. My first was a red-knob-twin and I liked it a lot actually...in retrospect it was one of the best amps I ever owned. It was like 90 bucks or something used. Then I played a silverface and then a BRD...even a Vibrolux for a while...sold the BRD in '99 I think for 150 bucks or so...and now they are WAY expensive. Funny how it changes.

sunnych
August 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM
deea i cant open that track in ff .. can you please check on link ..

Spudman
August 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
That looks like a great sounding rig. How did the gig go?

deeaa
August 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
deea i cant open that track in ff .. can you please check on link ..

?? I dunno, works fine for me...

ibanezjunkie
August 17th, 2009, 03:43 AM
The tone lab is basically the Valvetronix in pedal form right? with an expression pedal added. So...the VT sound good with one tube, must sound som'thin else through an all tube signal path.

Kazz
August 17th, 2009, 04:43 AM
The clip works just fine in my firefox.

Brian Krashpad
August 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, how'd the show go?

Pics?

Tibernius
August 17th, 2009, 06:21 PM
?? I dunno, works fine for me...

It will, they're a spammer. We had a bunch sign up on another forum I visit a while ago. There are actual people making the accounts and posts so they managed to get around some/most of the checks to prevent spammers.

A dead give away though is the signature.

helliott
August 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
The tone lab is basically the Valvetronix in pedal form right? with an expression pedal added. So...the VT sound good with one tube, must sound som'thin else through an all tube signal path.

Yep, that's what the Tone Lab is. I have to admit I only use a bit of its potential so far. I don't use many effects, but create certain amp/cab sounds that seem to suit the guitar (either the Strat or Tele), then add the amount of verb, drive, the odd bit of echo, maybe a touch of compression. Then I just toggle back and forth. I also do a boost setting for each, and allows an extra kick when I need to get out in front in loud songs.

Never played it through anything other than all tune signal, typically in the effects lop, sometimes just plugged in like a pedalboard. Really works in setting where I have to keep the amp volume down, and that's many of the rooms we will play in. I do think it models the sounds I want very accurately, and then delivers lovely tones through a tube amp. I tell people it's the single tube in the TL that makes the difference, but don't know for sure if that's true.

helliott
August 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
How're you liking the BRD? That's a 4x10", huh? I used to have a 2x12" which was pretty nice. A little shrill but eq adjustments were OK. Here's how it sounded on an old demo of ours (main/rhythm guitar):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~juho/bm/BM_Tahdon_olla_se_mies.MP3

It's funny, 10 years ago them Fender amps were what you had to buy because they were all you could afford. A Marshall would be roughly ten times more expensive than a normal Fender, not to mention Mesa Boogie etc. My first was a red-knob-twin and I liked it a lot actually...in retrospect it was one of the best amps I ever owned. It was like 90 bucks or something used. Then I played a silverface and then a BRD...even a Vibrolux for a while...sold the BRD in '99 I think for 150 bucks or so...and now they are WAY expensive. Funny how it changes.

I was lovin the 4X10, but it started to make weird noises practice just before the gig. There would be loud, distorted, crackly sounding things. Pretty much not useable. Haven't tested it further or taken it in yet, but will. Subbed in my Mesa which worked well, but could have used the extra punch from the Fender 4X10 at our most recent outdoor gig.

helliott
August 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
That looks like a great sounding rig. How did the gig go?

Gig went well. Posted the gig section, but to save a click here's what I said. Photos available through the link at the bottom. (Actually have a new development: One of the guys who saw us turns out to be a veteran singer/harp player. Came up later and gave props, called our bass player later and said he'd love to get back into it with a band like ours. He's known around town so is the real thing. Not sure if we want to go to a 5-piece, but on the other hand we're a quartet with three guys who sing OK, and no one who sings great. Probably going to try the guy out, and if he's as good as his rep, and the chemistry works, there could be one more Hammer Daddy in training.)
Gig report follows:
-----------------

Our band, The Hammer Daddies, did a short charity gig opening a waterfront festival event today. Not very well organized, parking a long haul from the stage, hot as hell.
Drummer was late. (No stereotypes there at all, eh?). But when we finally did get on, it went very well.
Because we were the first act up, there wasn't much or a crowd. But people strolling in the sunny midday stopped and many stayed, and the applause was vigorous.
I haven't played outside for years, so had forgotten how much juice you really need. Used my Mesa Lone Star as the Blues Deville is acting up. That Mesa is one loud amp, and I had it pretty much dimed. Sounded good though, especially with the Strat wide open. Used my newish Baha Tele for backup and some more country and funk stuff and the Strat for blues and rock. We did Call Me The Breeze (the Cale version, not Skynyrd), Dead Flowers, (Tele sounded great on that one), Tinsley Ellis version of Leavin Here, Bluesbreakers version of All Your Love, King Buiscuit verson of Boom Boom (Out go the lights), and a few others.
I was pleased with the chemistry and communication. Made the requisite number of clams, but we all had a few, and the crowd didn't seem to hear them or care. And the Mesa Lonestar sounds awesome dimed.
Fortunately, there was a nice breeze off the harbour, otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd have melted. I was soaked through about five times.
Good outing though, makes me want more and full gigs asap.
(I've just added a link to our site, hammerdaddies.com, with some photos and nice compliments from fans who saw the show.)
www.hammerdaddies.com/pictures.php