PDA

View Full Version : Guitars n' Fire don't mix, or, Katastrophe's musings on a bad week.

Katastrophe
August 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
As promised in another thread, here ya go, one baaaaaad week. This all happened about 2.5 months ago. This is a long post. Thanks for reading.

Monday: Mrs. Kat goes out of town for her job. I send our dogs, Kickers and Snickers, over to my mothers' house for her to watch, as I'm working about 14 hrs a day and can't care for them while Mrs. Kat isn't home. Mom reports that Snickers is walking funny, like she has a hurt back (Snickers is a daschund, and very prone to back problems). Mom takes dog to vet.

Tuesday: Mrs. Kat, while in Ft. Worth (several hours away from home), has a sudden, violent migraine headache. In blinding pain and throwing up, she manages to find a hospital. She had no prior history of migraines, and reports that the ER docs were concerned, due to the severity of the incident. She manages to get a coworker to help her back to her hotel.

Wednesday: Mrs. Kat returns home and watches Snickers slip on a patch of wet concrete, twisting her back more. Another trip to the vet, who reports that our dog has multiple slipped discs in her back, and would probably never walk right again. We're given orders to isolate her and observe her.

Thursday: Not much to report this day.

Friday: Mrs. Kat calls me as I'm driving back to our depot at about 9:00 pm. I answer the phone and she says simply, "Don't freak. Fire." Okaaaaay. Everyone's all right. I won't go into details, but the fire was accidental, in the garage, and was small. The amount of property we lost was small. There was a ton of smoke damage. All of my guitars were in the garage, along with my amph. I know, I know, guitars don't belong in a garage. My Strat's maple neck and fretboard, along with the pick guard, are now stained by the smoke, but otherwise the guitars still play fine. Mrs. Kat's quick reaction saved the whole house from burning.

Saturday: We take Snickers outside, and notice that she is walking on the tops of her back feet and is in obvious pain. Poor thing was trying to walk, and it just wasn't working. She was yelping a lot. Mrs. Kat and I talked about it, and decided it was time. Mrs. Kat and I raised Snickers from a 4 week old puppy. I held her in my arms when she was put down, and cried myself into a slobbering mess. Went home and started with the cleanup on the garage.

SuperSwede
August 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Man what a bad week! Sending a bucket of mojo your way!

Btw, you gotta take some pics of your now home-reliced guitar!

luvmyshiner
August 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Damn Kat, that is a bad week! Here's hoping you've had a lot of good ones since then.:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
August 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Whoa.

Prayers and mojo.

marnold
August 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear about the fire, but at least it was relatively minor. If I may throw in a big of humor, I suggest learning "Smoke on the Water" on the affected Strat.

Also sorry to hear about you dog, I had to put our first dog down before her time. She was nine and had liver failure. I blubbered like a sap too.

sunvalleylaw
August 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Wow, sorry for the bad week Kat. Prayers and best wishes for you and yours.

tjcurtin1
August 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Yikes, Kat! You have got to find yourself a new moniker and shake this cloud!

aeolian
August 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I don't mean to minimize your lost, but material things are just that. On the other hand we have a half-mini-dachshund in our family and I've grown pretty attached to her. I can really sympathize with you about the lost of your faithful companion.

street music
August 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Kat, very sorry about Snickers. Glad that the wive was feeling enought to react quickly and save the home and your gear. Hope she gets better with the migranes.

oldguy
August 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Kat. Hopefully better times are ahead. We're sending prayers and good mojo thoughts your way.

just strum
August 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Kat, what a week for one family to have. First, I hope Mrs Kat is okay and she doesn't experience anymore violent headaches. As for Snickers, like many here, been there and done that. Also like many here, I'm a big animal lover (currently three dogs and a cat), so I can only say that I am sorry you had to make such a tough decision.

As for the fire, well based on everything else, it was minor in comparison.

Here is to better weeks ahead.:beer:

peachhead
August 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hope things have gotten better since then. Major mojo, directed your way.

Childbride
August 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Kat, here's hoping that this is not a continuing affliction for Mrs. Kat, and that she's ok.

my heart bleeds for you as to Snickers... and you know i can relate.

glad to hear that the fire was not worse than it was, and that the gear was not destroyed.

here's to better days... really, really...

evenkeel
August 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yikes Kat!! That is a way bad week.
Hope you and the family are doing better.

bigG
August 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I already posted my condolences to Kat in the other thread, from whence this one came.

But for those of you who haven't read it, I want to repeat: make sure your homeowners/renters insurance policy covers your guits and amps! If you have more than what most insurance co's consider "standard" for the "average" man (usually no more than two guits and one amp!), or are not sure, contact your agent and verify! It's cheap to add and priceless in a worst-case scenario! A word to the wise...:)

piebaldpython
August 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry about your dog. Sometimes they're more "family" than actual family. :D

How's your wife btw? Did they ever diagnose what caused her severe headaches and vomiting?

Katastrophe
August 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks, all. Y'all are the best.

Mrs. Kat is taking medication and hasn't had another episode. We're slowly bringing the garage back. It required a lot of cleaning, and repainting. There is a hole in one wall where the fire started to enter the inner wall that the fire department had to open up. I need to patch it. Our other dog, Kickers, moped around for about a week but is his old cheerful self now.

G's comment on insurance is well taken. We're renting, and did not have any.

Thanks again, y'all.

mrmudcat
August 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Sorry about all this brother.......and here I thought I was stressing about my own stuff......my sincere mojo prayers for ya bro!!

kiteman
August 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Damn, what a bum week. I thought my night at a friend's party last Sat was bad. It was a combo birthday (for his son) and bbq night for us adults. We were going to jam there but after a couple of songs my guitar neck got too sticky to play on. I said no problem I'll just go get my other guitar but found the battery dead in my car. Needed an alternator which was $200. Duh!

Spudman
August 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Sorry to hear about all the problems. Things can only get better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFw5Qi0pjU

Kazz
August 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
$200 alternator? Wow....what kind of car do you drive?

kiteman
August 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
2003 Ford Taurus SES. What I heard from others, this was cheap.