PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a rondo tele

birv2
August 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
OK, I'm seriously thinking of getting a tele and have been looking at the Rondo website. So far, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of theirs but I'm kind of torn between the standard single coils and the P90 edition. I would like the tele to be a bit hotter than normal, but not off the hook hotter.

Anybody try these?

TIA,
Bob

FrankenFretter
August 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
OK, I'm seriously thinking of getting a tele and have been looking at the Rondo website. So far, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of theirs but I'm kind of torn between the standard single coils and the P90 edition. I would like the tele to be a bit hotter than normal, but not off the hook hotter.

Anybody try these?

TIA,
Bob

I don't have a Rondo Tele, but I do have an SX Strat and an SX Jazzmaster-ish guitar with the P-90s. I can tell you that they both sound good, although I decided to mod the Strat and put some GFS pickups in it. There wasn't anything wrong with the stock pickups, but I wanted something hotter. The stock pickups sounded fairly vintage-like. The P-90s on the Jazzmastery guitar sound nice, but can be noisy. Noisier than most P-90s? I couldn't say; this is my first P-90 axe.

The SX line is a very good deal for the money. I've purchased 3 guitars from Rondo, and I'm happy with all of them. I hope that helps somewhat

-Sean

duhvoodooman
August 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
You might also want to consider the Xaviere line at GFS:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

The XV-600, 620 and 820 guitars are all variations on the Tele theme, and are a step up in quality over the Rondo models, IMO. Prices range between $159 - $189, so they're still very affordable. I have an 820 that I like very much.

birv2
August 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
You might also want to consider the Xaviere line at GFS:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

The XV-600, 620 and 820 guitars are all variations on the Tele theme, and are a step up in quality over the Rondo models, IMO. Prices range between $159 - $189, so they're still very affordable. I have an 820 that I like very much.

I've got about 120.00 of birthday money, so.... looks like the SX line for me. Which is fine. I love cheap stuff that surprises people!

Duff49
August 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I would not hesitate to roll with the SX.

I have three SX guitars; two sst strats and a copy of a Gibson LP Special with two P ninety pickups, solid mahogany with set mahogany neck. I'm playing the P ninety right now. A beautiful antique burst flat top LP copy. Great neck and real nice P ninety tone.

The P ninety on the tele sounds like a great idea for twanginess. I have a Squire Tele Custom II with twin P ninety noise cancelling in the middle position guitar. It is solid black and is an awesome guitar with a real twang; but the SX one with the standard bridge pup and the P ninety would give you some versitility and would sound really twangy when played with the tone wide open, in any position I would suspect, but mellow down when you turn the treble down. Of course, I really like tele's, so my opinion is predjudiced.

Be advised that the new SX teles have the new style headstock that you might like and the older ones still left have the traditional strat type headstock, neither a tele type headstock. The new style headstock can be modified by cutting a pattern out of it. I would probably try to modify the new headstock by change the way it looks, which I think was a poor design choice.

Let us know if you get an SX and how it is.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.