PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Gig

Robert
August 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Myra and I did a duo gig yesterday, played at some old lady's backyard out in small village. The crowd response was amazing! There were maybe 20 people there, and they were mostly older. No beer there - just lemonade and desserts! :)

They gave us some tip in a hat - about a hundred bucks in total! Amazing. Plus we got a couple of hundred as a gig fee. Not a bad night. It was super nice out too, and very few mosquitoes.

The crowd (all twenty of them) were up dancing together on the grass as we played Midnight Special and The House Is a Rockin', etc - old and young (but mostly old) .... :dude:

We played 2 x 40 minutes, at the most. Nice little gig, I tell ya!

pes_laul
August 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
That's awesome Robert :)

Backyard gigs (any outdoor in general) are always alot of fun.

oldguy
August 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
That sounds really cool! 20 people enjoying the music is better than 100 who aren't having fun any day. :) :AOK:

peachhead
August 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
That does sound cool. <sigh> maybe one day....

Algonquin
August 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Very cool :AOK:
I'd love to do something like that someday. It must have been great having the audience react the way they did... I'm sure it was an awesome night.
Congrats on the cool outing :bravo:

bigG
August 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Very nice, Robert!

I used to play many an outdoor gig, from major festivals to backyards (sweet sixteen parties, bar mitzvahs, weddings, frat parties, biker parties, you name it) to motel and hotels out by the pool parties...

As has already been said, the best ones are when the people, no matter how many, have fun! Makes the band feel appreciated and have even more fun themselves. More good memories...:AOK:

Robert
August 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I was surprised. So often, we are background music, and people don't pay attention because they are busy talking, etc.

Typically if we are playing an establishment, we get the drunks at the bar dancing towards the end of the night, but this was church-going non-drinking people just loving the music and dancing away. That meant a lot to me, actually much more than words.

bigG
August 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I was surprised. So often, we are background music, and people don't pay attention because they are busy talking, etc.

Typically if we are playing an establishment, we get the drunks at the bar dancing towards the end of the night, but this was church-going non-drinking people just loving the music and dancing away. That meant a lot to me, actually much more than words.

Right on, man, right on! :AOK:

helliott
August 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Good for you. Enthusiasm beats numbers any day, I think. I'd rather play for a small group who dig it than in a big bar where I feel like a jukebox.