PDA

View Full Version : Fender Texas Teles into a Charvel Model 7

marnold
August 22nd, 2006, 08:19 AM
OK, Fretters, you're my last hope. I've posted this question all over the 'Net, even on the Fender Forum, but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. As many of you are aware, I have a Charvel Model 7 (Tele style with no pickguard). I want to replace the pickups with Fender Texas Teles. I need to know if the neck pickup in that set has the plastic lip at the bottom or not. The picture on the Fender website (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0992121000) seems to indicate that it doesn't, but it's at an angle so I can't say for sure. If it does have that lip is it even possible to fit that pickup into the route on my guitar?

tremoloman
August 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
OK, Fretters, you're my last hope. I've posted this question all over the 'Net, even on the Fender Forum, but no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. As many of you are aware, I have a Charvel Model 7 (Tele style with no pickguard). I want to replace the pickups with Fender Texas Teles. I need to know if the neck pickup in that set has the plastic lip at the bottom or not. The picture on the Fender website (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0992121000) seems to indicate that it doesn't, but it's at an angle so I can't say for sure. If it does have that lip is it even possible to fit that pickup into the route on my guitar?Have you tried downloading the wiring diagram PDFs from Fender's website? They are of high detail and may answer your question.

I strongly suggest giving Fender's support staff either a phone call or email. As recent experience has shown, Fender does take its customers seriously and DOES listen! I'd be shocked if you didn't hear back from them within a couple of days.

Fender Wiring Diagrams (http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/index.php)

You may reach the FMIC Consumer Relations Department by telephone, fax or e-mail at:

Telephone: (480) 596-7195
Fax: (480) 367-5262
E-mail: consumerrelations@fender.com

Give 'em a call... they are very nice and super helpful!

marnold
August 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM
I had checked the wiring diagrams. Unfortunately, they are for the guitars and not just the pickups. These pickups are supposed to be on a couple of guitars, but I didn't find the diagrams to be too helpful with this. I tried to call Fender this morning, but they said that they were closed, even though according to the recording, they should have opened 45 minutes earlier. I'll keep trying.

marnold
August 22nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Well, I finally got a hold of somebody at Fender. He grabbed a Texas Tele neck pickup and verified that there is no lip on! I can use them as is! W00t!

tremoloman
August 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I finally got a hold of somebody at Fender. He grabbed a Texas Tele neck pickup and verified that there is no lip on! I can use them as is! W00t!My advice was actually helpful? Wow... I'm in shock myself!

Fender's support is really top notch. I'm more dedicated than ever after the nice gesture they made by sending me a goodie bag for my troubles.

Now I want some before & after video and sound clips if you can. I'm obsessed with your Charvel! I look at it as "The Tele From Hell". :)

marnold
August 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Now I want some before & after video and sound clips if you can. I'm obsessed with your Charvel! I look at it as "The Tele From Hell". :)

Well, it's going to be awhile before I have the cash to do this--maybe as late as Christmas. I will try to figure out how to record some clips of my crappy playing for your bemusement when the time comes.

tremoloman
August 23rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well, it's going to be awhile before I have the cash to do this--maybe as late as Christmas. I will try to figure out how to record some clips of my crappy playing for your bemusement when the time comes.May I suggest going on eBay and doing a search for this pickups regularly? You would be amazed how cheap you can pick things on for on there sometimes.

Here's a few deals I've scored in the past:
Danelectro Cool Cat / brand new still in box - $28
Fender Powehouse Stratocaster / excellent condition - $275
Squier JagMaster / excellent condition - $125
American Standard Telecaster pickups / brand new - $50 for complete setIf you are patient, you can get a great deal. Go ahead, give it a go! Just find a set you like, create an account on Hammersnipe (http://www.hammersnipe.com), then put your max bid in there. That's how I win 99% of the stuff I buy on there.

I know sniping is lame, but I tried to use eBay as it was intended and I lost to snipers every time. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!