PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez Jet King

Robert
August 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
This looks like a really cool guitar. I have never seen one in person. Anyone here tried one?

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/eg/products/JTK40RD.gif

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-JTK40

bigG
August 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, Robert. I was going in to check one out in May locally, when I ended up walking out w that GREAT deal on my Peavey Delta Blues 210 and my re-bought Peavey HP Signature EXP.

I played the Jet King. It looks much cooler than it sounds or plays, IMHO. The heel is HUGE and upper frets are inaccesible. It had a rather "generic" tone - nothing special. The neck was very nice, rosewood on maple if I remember correctly.

I'd buy it for looks, and maybe some one-off tunes, but it simply left me cold and underwhelmed. Didn't impress me in any way. Knowing your tastes in guits and tone and action, I don't think you'd like it, but that's just my opinion.

G

Spudman
August 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I just sold a Jet King 1 - first edition. It felt good to play but the tone just wasn't happening with mine. The reason I got it was because I played the newer mahogany version and it sounded great. Mine was a basswood body and didn't sound that great. I imagine they have changed the pickup specs from version 1 to version 4 too. I believe 4 is the current version. The newer one sounded very good but it didn't have a Bigsby on it just string through. It had humbucking pickups not the single coils. Some of the new ones are also chambered. That may have been what made the difference.

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I tried the earlier version a few years ago in the year before I bought my strat. I thought it was pretty darn cool at the time, but ended up going with my strat. The one I tried did not have that bigsby type trem either.

Jimi75
August 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Hey...pppppssssttt....I have played that guitar......and you know what.......it's a darn great guitar! I was totally surprised how wonderful the playability was and the sound was very defined. That's a guitar I would keep my eye on. And the looks of that beast are awesome I find.

FrankenFretter
August 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I"ve been eying those at Musician's Friend for quite some time. I like the P-90 version, though. Or at least the idea of it. They sure do look cool.