Here is a good list!

http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/spin/7234/the-most-ridiculous-band-names/

I like "Phil and the Osophers". :)

Katastrophe
August 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM
#9: Test Icicles - MUAHAHAHAHAHA!:rotflmao:

R_of_G
August 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
i don't think either of these are ridiculous, rather quite clever and funny and two of my favorite names (and two excellent bands as well)

1. japancakes
2. crack sabbath

Jimi75
August 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
The Eagles Of Death Metal

bigG
August 13th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Mogan David and the Grapes of Wrath
The Ex-communicators
The Chocolate Watchband
The Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Dog Breath
Eggy Motworth and Produce
Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys
The Gonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Trip n' The Light Fantastics
The Circle Jerks
Dirk Kloud and the Silver Linings
Ultimate Spinach
Darwin and His Pet Theories
Adolph and the Sons of Abraham
The Blues Magoos
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
? and the Mysterians
The Nightcrawlers
The Fab Faux
Electric Prunes
The Dew Drop Inns

That's all that come to mind right now from over the years...:D

Robert
August 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Spinach.... gotta love that name!

marnold
August 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Those names aren't even close to the most ridiculous ones. The Tony Danza one is hi-larious. The worst names, in my mind, tended to be some of the hippy bands who came up with their name after ingesting some non-prescription pharmaceuticals. Such as the infamous "Strawberry Alarm Clock," best (only?) known for their hit "Incense and Peppermints."

I would have thought that "Toad the Wet Sprocket" would have made the list. It's a ridiculous name. Nevertheless I love it because it is an obscure Monty Python reference. Never really listened to their music, though.

When I was in a bluegrass band in college we came up with a number of names. The band leader's last name was Pries so we thought of "Judas Pries." We ended up settling on "Ban Jovi," a name that no one ever spelled right.

deeaa
August 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Cover bands often have funky names.

Let's Eppelin.
Vanha Len.
Coverdale (whitesnake tribute)

etc.

But the stupidest ones:

A local band.
Serious Serial Squirrel Killers and The Scubadiving Guineapigs featuring da Boys.

Well that a local band was funny the 1st time I saw their poster : performing today: a local band. Heheh.

bigG
August 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Those names aren't even close to the most ridiculous ones. The Tony Danza one is hi-larious. The worst names, in my mind, tended to be some of the hippy bands who came up with their name after ingesting some non-prescription pharmaceuticals. Such as the infamous "Strawberry Alarm Clock," best (only?) known for their hit "Incense and Peppermints."

I would have thought that "Toad the Wet Sprocket" would have made the list. It's a ridiculous name. Nevertheless I love it because it is an obscure Monty Python reference. Never really listened to their music, though.

When I was in a bluegrass band in college we came up with a number of names. The band leader's last name was Pries so we thought of "Judas Pries." We ended up settling on "Ban Jovi," a name that no one ever spelled right.

Rev, good on ya! I can't believe I left out Toad the Wet Sprocket! Their "fear" album is one of my all-time favorites! Give it a listen if you get a chance :dude:

Robert: yeah man! Ultimate Spinach! We opened for them, who, in turn were opening for It's a Beautiful Day (of "White Bird" fame). Good bands, both. I have one of each of their LPs, but haven't listened to them in ages.

Tig
August 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Purely off the top of my head... I'll stick with a few groups that had, um, interesting names. Maybe not the most rediculous, but fun to bring up:

Kajagoogoo

Jody Foster's Army

The Hugh Beaumont Experience

MC 900 Foot Jesus

Mr. Mister

Hoobastank

The Jesus & Mary Chain

Hootie and the Blowfish

sumitomo
August 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
What about Clara and the Clambumpers.Sumi:D

Suhnton
August 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Not necessarily ridiculous, but interesting

Daggy and The Dickheads
The Hasselhoff Experiment
Breast Secreting Cake
Discharge
Peter & The Test Tube Babies
Afghan Whigs
Screaming Trees

FWIW I think Nirvana is a terrible name for a band.

luvmyshiner
August 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Well, if we were talking about the "worst" band names, there's a local band that I would nominate . . . "Falling Upwards".

I'm not sure what you would have to be smoking to think that was cool.:messedup:

bigoldron
August 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
How about:

Dickey Do and the Don'ts - and their only hit "Oh, La Me, I Sho' Gotta Pee"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

pes_laul
August 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
theres a local band called yardsale underwear :D

luvmyshiner
August 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
theres a local band called yardsale underwear :D

Actually . . . I kinda like that one Pes!:D

I should probably . . . just . . . turn off the computer and go to bed . . . now . . .:thwap:

pes_laul
August 14th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Actually . . . I kinda like that one Pes!:D

I should probably . . . just . . . turn off the computer and go to bed . . . now . . .:thwap:
better than the butthole surfers...or is it :messedup:

luvmyshiner
August 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
better than the butthole surfers...or is it :messedup:

Well, I've never been surfing . . . and I've never been . . . ok, I'll probably get nasty pm's from mods if I keep this up.:eek:

ibanezjunkie
August 15th, 2009, 03:07 AM
the name 'Kid Rock' always made me laugh very hard. (unsure as to why)

and all those emo bands with crud names like 'my chemical romance' and '30 seconds to mars'

that butthole surfers thing brought tears to my eyes (in a hysterical way)

Geraint Jones
August 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Who could forget the their album Hairway to Steven . Chocolate Starfish was a front runner for our unnamed band, a a few years later it was taken up by some Aussies . I liked Lesbian Dopeheads on Mopeds alteregos for the more staid sounding Gaye Bykers on Acid . Man where have all the good names gone.

street music
August 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Nine Inch Nails- I think is just another that belongs on the list.
Seriously, there are some nqames that I have seen listed on a rooster that can't be allowed on this site- what has to be on someones mind to name their group some so profane. I so one that was honest about it -WE SUCK!
They sure did when it came to playing music.

marnold
August 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
When I was a senior at the Sem, a bunch of us were going to put a band together. It didn't go very far, but we were going to call ourselves "Hieronymus Bosch and the Chiggerz" with an umlaut over the Z.

bigG
August 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Rev, that reminds me of one of my favorite move titles of all time:

"Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Hump and Find True Happiness?"

Starred Anthony Newly, as I recall...

tjcurtin1
August 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Or howabout shoulda been band names. In high school we always thought 'Dow Jones and the Industrialists' would get used someday, but to my knowledge....