PDA

View Full Version : Best nut material?

Perfect Stranger
August 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM
What is the best material for replacing a Strat nut?

Algonquin
August 13th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I'm not sure there is a 'best', but I went with Tusq here. Not overly expensive, and very consistant quality. I've seen many like bone for acoustics, but being a natural material, it can vary in quality and end result.

If you're looking to replace yours, maybe have a look into the LSR roller nut, they look like a good alternative as well.
Cheers :beer:

hubberjub
August 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Depends on the guitar. I like graphite for guitars with trems but I feel that a nut that is cut well is more important than the material it's made from. That doesn't happen as often as it should.

Jimi75
August 13th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Just ordered a bone nut.

marnold
August 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
How 'bout one of these :)

http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/3009/Floyd_Rose_Locking_Nut_Set_Detail.jpg

hubberjub
August 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM

http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/3009/Floyd_Rose_Locking_Nut_Set_Detail.jpg

Marnold, I don't miss those days. My Jem would sit in it's case for months because I hated changing strings so much.

peachhead
August 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering about it myself, along with getting a new trem block kit from GFS.

luvmyshiner
August 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Shiner slowly backs out of the thread and closes the door before saying anything that will piss off CB.:eek:

Oh, and I'm a big fan of bone nuts and saddles for acoustics. Can't really contribute for electrics.

oldguy
August 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Shiner slowly backs out of the thread and closes the door before saying anything that will piss off CB.:eek:

Oh, and I'm a big fan of bone nuts and saddles for acoustics. Can't really contribute for electrics.

Heh,heh,heh......... I'm not gonna say it either.............

pie_man_25
August 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Depends on the guitar. I like graphite for guitars with trems but I feel that a nut that is cut well is more important than the material it's made from. That doesn't happen as often as it should.
I have to agree with hubberjub, if the workanship on an instrument is terrible, it won't matter what the instrument is made of, it's still going to be terrible.

just strum
August 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM

+1

If we are talking material change for the sake of change, money could be better spent elsewhere. However, it is up to the individual and it is their money.

If I had to make a change and the options listed were my choices - I would go with bone.

pes_laul
August 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM

I actually find changing strings on those are quite easy and they stay in tune really nicely.

just strum
August 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Do you trap black bear with that thing???

mrmudcat
August 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Graphtech saddles and nuts are great for my strats:master:

bigG
August 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Bone is my overall choice, but like hubber said, it's more important that it's cut right. Any nut is acceptable to me as long as it doesn't bind the strings. And a dose of Nut Sauce will equalize 'em all, pretty much.

I do hate locking nuts, and just got rid of one when I sold my Ibanez S520EX. I'll go w locking tuners any day. But I'm not a brutal whammy user, so standard tuners are usually fine w me. The Pings on my MIM Fat Strat work just fine. Most all my others use Gotohs, Grovers or Schallers - no problems, hardtail or whammy...