PDA

View Full Version : Help! I have ants in the basement

Robert
August 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Just discovered last night that there's a lot of small ants crawling around one area of our basement. We also have a lot of ants in our lawn. Every time I mow the lawn, I see a bunch of little ant hills all over the place. Someone said it's very bad this year with ants all over the province.

What to do?

SuperSwede
August 13th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Just discovered last night that there's a lot of small ants crawling around one area of our basement. We also have a lot of ants in our lawn. Every time I mow the lawn, I see a bunch of little ant hills all over the place. Someone said it's very bad this year with ants all over the province.

What to do?

There are a lot of good anti-ant products available.. I used a fine powder around the entire house and a couple of ant traps filled with a blue liquid that they like to eat and then bring back home to the nest where it poisons them all ! :D )

We had a major ant problem earlier this summer and I havent seen a single one lately!

http://www.hemtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/myrfalla.jpg

FrankenFretter
August 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Around here, ants are a huge problem. Everyone has them, it's just a matter of how well you can control them. We use Terro liquid ant baits in the yard around our house. They really work!

http://www.terro.com/images/products/F-1800-small.jpg

They have them for inside as well...

http://www.terro.com/images/products/F-300-small.jpg

marnold
August 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM
We've had ant problems for years. I'm considering napalm.

peachhead
August 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Astroturf maybe?

M29
August 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Anteater's aren't cheap but I hear they eat ants.

We tried some of the Baits this summer and they worked pretty well. Try to find where they are coming in.
One summer I followed a column of ants going from the corner of the front door down the stairs into the family room and around a corner. I could not believe it, it was like a regiment or something marching along in single file.

Napalm.......now that just might do it........yup I gotta find some of that........

luvmyshiner
August 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
The ants we have problems with are fire ants. Different creatures entirely. They've almost wiped out the quail population. Don't know if it will work on your ants or not but Over 'n Out works for about six months for us.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/overnout.gif

Algonquin
August 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
What to do?
Give your pants a good shake each morning or else... you know :D

Robert
August 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Heh :AOK:

M29
August 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh man speaking of pants. I was in Ft. Lauderdale back in the early 70's and our band was going to play up in West Palm Beach this one night. As I stood in front of my car waiting for the rest of the band to pick me up I did not realize I was standing on a large fire ant hill. All of a sudden I found out....There must have been hundreds of ants crawling up my legs. It didn't take long for me to get my pants off and right in front of 8 or 10 people at that. It did'nt matter to me them babies hurt. :eek:

luvmyshiner
August 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Wait, we're not supposed to do that anyway??? Next thing I know you'll tell me I don't have to sniff my shirt before I put it on . . . or underwear for that matter.:messedup:

sumitomo
August 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Shiner,Shiner no need to sniff the underware,thats why you stick it on the wall at night to air out.Sumi:D

just strum
August 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Around here, ants are a huge problem. Everyone has them, it's just a matter of how well you can control them. We use Terro liquid ant baits in the yard around our house. They really work!

http://www.terro.com/images/products/F-1800-small.jpg

They have them for inside as well...

http://www.terro.com/images/products/F-300-small.jpg

Every spring they come in around the kitchen sink and we put out Terro. They attack teh stuff immediately, take it back to the nest (or whatever they are living in) and immediately the numbers dwindle and within a couple of days no more ants until the following spring.

We get ant hills (actually ant mountains) outside and some get to be about a foot to two feet high. The ones that are hundreds of feet from the house I don't bother, but as they try to build near the house I use powder (can't recall the name).

pes_laul
August 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Every spring they come in around the kitchen sink and we put out Terro. They attack teh stuff immediately, take it back to the nest (or whatever they are living in) and immediately the numbers dwindle and within a couple of days no more ants until the following spring.

We get ant hills (actually ant mountains) outside and some get to be about a foot to two feet high. The ones that are hundreds of feet from the house I don't bother, but as they try to build near the house I use powder (can't recall the name).
The only time we had an ant problem we tried that stuff and it worked great.

peachhead
August 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I use Orthene outside on fire ant hills, it works pretty good. Whenever I had ants in the house I tried to track down where they came from and used Bengal (it works really well plus I could get it with no smell).

ibanezjunkie
August 15th, 2009, 03:34 AM
deoderant cans and a lighter, thats how i do it.

or use a vacuum cleaner and just burn the bag afterwards.

peachhead
August 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
deoderant cans and a lighter, thats how i do it.

That's a heap more fun than ant spray, I imagine. :rotflmao:

just strum
August 15th, 2009, 10:08 AM
That's a heap more fun than ant spray, I imagine. :rotflmao:

Just remember to use cans, not roll-on.

pes_laul
August 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Just remember to use cans, not roll-on.
:thwap:

ibanezjunkie
August 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
it makes the room smell like a cheap date, but hell, its the most fun you can have with 99p anti perspirant products. :D

Katastrophe
August 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Amdro outside, Combat ant baits inside. Problem solved.

Tynee
August 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM
We've had ant problems for years. I'm considering napalm.
:rotflmao:

otaypanky
August 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Anteater's aren't cheap but I hear they eat ants.

We tried some of the Baits this summer and they worked pretty well. Try to find where they are coming in.
One summer I followed a column of ants going from the corner of the front door down the stairs into the family room and around a corner. I could not believe it, it was like a regiment or something marching along in single file.

Napalm.......now that just might do it........yup I gotta find some of that........

I saw a program on PBS about ants and this behavior was photographed in minute detail. When the colony marching in a line encounters a hole in the leaf they are crossing or some kind of void in their path, some of the ants hold on to one another forming a live bridge for the others to traverse. Truly amazing to watch ~