PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul died

Robert
August 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Rest in peace.

Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

bigG
August 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Rest in peace, Les.

To live as long as he did, and leave the legacy he left in the music world...I'd say he had a pretty good run. That great band in the sky just got alot better.

Tone2TheBone
August 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Just read it now and came to post. I was dreading the day he'd leave. He lived a long life though! Thanks for everything you did for us Les. R. I. P.

duhvoodooman
August 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Rest in peace, Les.

To live as long as he did, and leave the legacy he left in the music world...I'd say he had a pretty good run. That great band in the sky just got alot better.
+1

Well put.

helliott
August 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Not unexpected, but still a huge loss to the music and guitar world. Just saw his exhibit in Cleveland a week or two back. Now Les Paul is gone. Very sad.

@Body:
<B>BC-US-Obit-Les-Paul, Urgent<P>
code:1
<B>Urgent<P>
<B>Update:ADDS background, quotes; byline; photos. AP Video. For global distribution.<P>
<B>HL:Guitar legend Les Paul dies at age 94; Innovator was a key force in creation of rock ’n’ roll<P>
<B>By Luke Sheridan<P>
<B>THE ASSOCIATED PRESS<P>
WHITE PLAINS, New York — Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.
According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.
He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, “Les Paul&Friends: American Made, World Played.”
“I feel like a condemned building with a new flagpole on it,” he joked.
As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock ’n’ roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the “tracks” in the finished recording.
With Ford, his wife from 1949 to 1962, he earned 36 gold records and 11 No. 1 pop hits, including “Vaya Con Dios,” ”How High the Moon,“ ”Nola“ and ”Lover.“ Many of their songs used overdubbing techniques that Paul the inventor had helped develop.”
“I could take my Mary and make her three, six, nine, 12, as many voices as I wished,” he recalled. “This is quite an asset.” The overdubbing technique was highly influential on later recording artists such as the Carpenters.
The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock in the 1950s.
“Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music,” Paul once said. “To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn’t think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system.”
A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called “The Log,” a four-by-four (10 centimetre-by-10centimetre) piece of wood strung with steel strings.
“I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut.” He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a traditional guitar shape.
In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.
Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.
Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie’s auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.
 12:22ET 13-08-09

Kazz
August 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Just read that article on MSN.....sad day.

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I concur with the rest of you. Peace and rest to a legend.

pQ6H68AcvQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6H68AcvQE

e0ffdwBUL78&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ffdwBUL78&feature=related

WackyT
August 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Very sad day for the music world.

RIP, Les.

You will live on in infamy for what you contributed throughout your life.

ted s
August 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM
RIP Les, I was just looking at my photos yesterday from last summer at the Iridium in NYC.

marnold
August 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Live to be 94 doing what you love the whole time--we should all be so fortunate.

Jimi75
August 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
R.I.P Les Paul! LP was a beautiful character a spirit who seemd to have lived a life that was full of great experiences. He brought a lot of joy to the people and he without him RNR wouldn't be the same!

:master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master: :master:

8d2studios
August 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Rest in peace.

He will ever be the greatest musician and inventor in our electric and recording music history.

We will miss you. :master:

Pickngrin
August 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=425984&GT1=28102

oops, sorry, repost... sad day

8d2studios
August 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/8d2studios/1958LPp1copy.jpg

evenkeel
August 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rest in peace, Les.

Very well put. One of my BIG regrets is when I lived in NYC I never got out to see Les at his regular weekly gig.

Bloozcat
August 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've been so busy the past 3-months or so with work, home, and the social committments that I haven't had much time to spend here. When I saw that Les Paul had died, I knew I needed to check in and join the mourning with those who feel his lost most...my fellow guitar players.

RIP, Les. You'll be missed, but remembered fondly by all who you've inspired.

(and I'll try to check in more often now that I've come up for air...:D )

Mr Grumpy
August 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
A great man with a legacy that has touched us all. RIP

mrmudcat
August 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Ok that just sux but thank you Les for all you have done ..............:master:

Might also save my tail on a recent purchase..........wow cant believe I said that:thwap:

R.I.P. brother and go jam with Duane in heaven!!!!:beer:

Tig
August 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Rest in peace.

Wow, what a loss. I'd rather look at what gains we are all blessed with thanks to everything Les did.

There is no guitar related icon who has more richly deserved the many honors bestowed upon him than the Les Paul. The world will always be a better place because he was here.

Here's a wonderful retrospective...

AP7qI5RVtxw

"He could burn the frets right off a guitar" - Steve Miller

"He put the tools in our hands" - Keith Richards

"...he's The Source." - Anderson Cooper, CNN

"... still The Man." - Los Angeles Times

"...he's the Boss!" - B.B. King

Robert
August 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
He was also an innovator with multi-track recording - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul#Multitrack_recording_innovations

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
He was also an innovator with multi-track recording - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul#Multitrack_recording_innovations

Absolutely. The PBS special on him was awesome, and focused at least as much on that aspect of his life as on his playing. The second vid I posted above shows he and Mary demonstrating early multi-track techniques, as they play and sing along with themselves. 24 recorded tracks, and with the additional live voice and guitar track shown in the clip. Really amazing, and I am sure blew people away back then.

ragnarpk
August 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
R.i.p.

peachhead
August 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
R.I.P. brother and go jam with Duane in heaven!!!!:beer:

Wow can you imagine that. What awesome music that would be!

oldguy
August 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I would imagine he and Leo are having a good laugh about now.
R.I.P. Les, we'll miss you.
And thanks for all the help, we needed it. :)

Justaguyin_nc
August 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM
What a great humanbeing.. never to be replaced..
R.I.P. Mr Paul.. you will always be remembered.

SuperSwede
August 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
R.I.P Les!!

bigoldron
August 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I can't anything that hasn't already been said. We will miss you Les! I imagine that he and Leo, as well as Duane and all the others are "pickin' and grinnin'".

RIP LES! :cry: :master:

Tig
August 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Slash said, "Les Paul was a shining example of how full one's life can be, he was so vibrant and full of positive energy. I'm honored and humbled to have known and played with him over the years, he was an exceptionally brilliant man."

Joe Satriani said, "Les Paul set a standard for musicianship and innovation that remains unsurpassed. He was the original guitar hero, and the kindest of souls. Last October I joined him onstage at The Iridium club in NYC, and he was still shredding. He was and still is an inspiration to us all."

Ace Frehley said, "The music industry has lost a giant! I'm very saddened by the news of Les Paul's passing. I was lucky enough to have known Les as a friend, and admired him as a musician and innovator. He forever changed the way we listen to music."

Butch Walker said, "Les Paul... I will always owe you.. bigtime..."

Billy Gibbons said, "Les Paul brought six strings to electricity and electricity to six strings. Les Paul was an innovator, a groundbreaker, a risk taker, a mentor and a friend. Try to imagine what we'd be doing if he hadn't come along and changed the world. There will always be more Les to come. That's certified."

Keith Urban said, “I have a mix of emotions today. On one hand, I am deeply saddened at Les Paul’s passing, and on the other a feeling of incredible gratitude and awe for his unquantifiable contribution to the world of music. His name adorns so many of the creations that I communicate through every night out here on the road...He is also very present every time I set foot in the studio and am able to lay multiple tracks as I record, when I use echo, etc., the list of his inventions, in addition to his famous signature model Gibson, are extraordinary. I also feel that even in his nineties, the fact he was still playing every Monday night in New York is perhaps the most beautiful and inspiring achievement of all. As Vince Gill would say, “Go rest high on that mountain Les...cause son, your work on earth is done.”

Joe Perry said, "As a guitarist and a fan of music in general, I know the amazing contributions Les Paul made in his lifetime to the art of making music. I think if the general public knew how much of that influence is heard every day in the music that they listen to, they would be amazed. He was a true genius. The few times that I had met him, he made me feel like I had known him forever. He was always sharp, ready to rock and he was always talking about his next gig. Knowing that he is not walking the earth anymore is sad and I have lost a friend. But every time I pick up a guitar I’ll know that his spirit is alive and well right next to me. "

Derek Trucks said, "Les Paul played until the day he died. I admire that... That's the way you live a life."
On his many achievements Derek Trucks said, "You could take any one of the many things he did and it would have been enough for most people. Inventing multi-tracking and then the 1st great solid body electric guitar. The amount of things he pulled off is pretty astounding."

Mick Jones said, “As a child I was introduced to the sound of Les Paul through my parent's record collection. It was a spellbinding moment when I first heard ‘How High The Moon’ featuring Mary Ford. His innovation and recording techniques contributed greatly to the creation of Rock music.”

Elliott Easton said, "I am deeply saddened by the passing of Les Paul. It is simply impossible to overstate the impact he has had on the modern world and our culture. There are those that refer to Les as "the Thomas Edison of Music Technology". To me that is inadequate. Thomas Edison never invented a device that could make the world fall in love with you. There isn't a person working in the music industry today that doesn't benefit in some way from Les' pioneering work."

Brian Wilson said, "Les Paul and Mary Ford were among my most favorite musicians in the 50's. He was the first guy to do multi guitar multi track recording and that turned me on to guitars and stacking vocals for our records."

Dave Navarro, "Les is single handedly responsible for the direction and evolution of the modern rock movement. Period. If you are a fan of modern music, you owe Les Paul an enormous THANK YOU!"

Randy Bachman said, "I am deeply touched by the passing of Les Paul who I first met in 1959. As a guitarist, composer, electronic innovator and inventor he was beyong genius and there was none other like him. He was a true musical gift from God to the world and spent his life honoring that gift. I proudly play my Les Paul guitars every night on stage and never forget the moments we shared."

ibanezjunkie
August 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
i saw this on the 10 o'clock news and thought it was a bad dream.

r.i.p

jpfeifer
August 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Live to be 94 doing what you love the whole time--we should all be so fortunate

Well put Marnold! Les Paul is a great example for all of us.

-- Jim

ibanezjunkie
August 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Well put Marnold! Les Paul is a great example for all of us.

-- Jim

definately.

using Les Paul as an example really does set the standard pretty high, even reaching 94 is difficult these days, with careless drivers and violent/hate crime.

how many people have ever designed one of the most influential guitars of all time, enjoyed an almost unsupassable level of success in a music career, invented a key piece of technology that shapes the way all bands record AND live to be 94?

the word 'Legend' is definately applicable.

Katastrophe
August 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Les Paul was a true innovator. Think about this: a world class guitar, multitrack recording, and the first pedal!

If he had never invented these things, other would have come along and done it, eventually. BUT, he did it first, and changed the way ALL music is played and recorded around the world.

That, my friends, is something that is just mind boggling to me. As a player, he was innovative, too. I mean, he had the chops to record with Chet Atkins, for cryin' out loud! God gave that man an incredible array of gifts, and he used them to their potential.

Rest in peace, Les.