PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick

piebaldpython
August 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
So, there I am at the gym tonite.......pumping iron....watching the IGGLES pre-season game and an important message comes across the screen.................The Iggles have signed Michael Vick!!

Say WHAT???? When did Philly become the Oakland Raiders of the EAST??

Damn!! Should be interesting to see how this plays out in Media.

luvmyshiner
August 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
You friggin' yankees will hire anyone Pie.:thwap:

piebaldpython
August 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
:rotflmao: Well Shiner, with McNabb and/or Vick running.....your beloved lard-butt Cowboys will have their tongues hangin' out from exhaustion chasin' after those two.

Our second-string QB, Kolb, got injured and so Vick I guess was the only guy available. I guess since Andy Reid's two sons have done jail-time recently.........he might feel some camraderie with Vick. :whatever:

Who knows??? I wonder (seriously) if the PETA people will boycott the games here in town???

piebaldpython
August 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
You friggin' yankees will hire anyone Pie.:thwap:

Who you callin' a "yankee"??? YANKS can be found from New York and parts NE of NY. If there is ONE thing that a Philly guy hates worse than a COWBOY......it's a NYC team. And with a fervered passion too. :D

Oh yeah, hate to break it to you.......but there are HUGE parts of the Keystone State (Pennsy) that will rival any Bible Belt/redneck Southern State. It's truly amazing. Truly a dichotomy.

So much so........these areas are derisively known as PennsylTucky. Like the SOUTH got transplanted in the area between Philly and Pittsburgh....except for the Amish/Mennonite section.

evenkeel
August 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I'm all for second chances, forgiveness, chance to make amends. I just don't see Vick as a good fit with the Iggles. The Reid/Mcnabb partnership has always been a bit of a psycho drama. The Vick drama will just add more craziness. Seems sort of like the return of T0 in many ways.

Perfect Stranger
August 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
The truly sad thing is, as deplorable as his actions were, there are players playing
in major league sports making millions of $$$ this very minute that have done worse.
That's gotta be some kind of statement about the state of humankind...

piebaldpython
August 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
The whole damn town is split over Vick. Oh boy!!

From the press conference, Vick says...."I'd like to express my gratification to Jeffrey Lure.....". That's right, not his GRATITUDE but his GRATIFICATION.

Yeah, this ought to be a helluva season in Philly.

Rumor has it that the IGGLES took Vick because the Fightin' Phils baseball team is in first place and getting the lion's share of the spotlight. aha

luvmyshiner
August 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Who you callin' a "yankee"??? YANKS can be found from New York and parts NE of NY. If there is ONE thing that a Philly guy hates worse than a COWBOY......it's a NYC team. And with a fervered passion too. :D

Uh dude, round here anybody livin' east of the Brazos River is considered a yankee. So suck it up and accept your fate.:poke:

Katastrophe
August 15th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Uh dude, round here anybody livin' east of the Brazos River is considered a yankee. So suck it up and accept your fate.:poke:

Or north of the Red River. We Texans are funny that way.:D

So what do you think of the whole Vick playing again thing?

Should he have been allowed to come back?

birv2
August 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Another Birds fan here....

Don't know what to make of this signing. The Iggles have the strangest front office -- they'll swear for years that the WR's are just fine, then draft 2. Bench Donovan and create a QB controversy, sign Donovan to a long-term deal, say there's no QB controversy, then sign Vick. I can't figure them out.

I'm one who thinks his crime shows a pretty sick mind. But I do believe in giving people 2nd chances. He paid his debt to society, so let it go. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's changed. Can he still play? I guess we'll see, but the Eagles haven't spent a lot on him, so it's worth a roll of the dice.

How does Donovan feel about all this, I wonder?

R_of_G
August 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
...but the Eagles haven't spent a lot on him, so it's worth a roll of the dice.

$1.6 million sure sounds like a lot to me for a guy that's not played in almost two years and is not going to be a starter, just a guy to come in on specialty packages. i know in football terms, it's not a lot of money, but it still sounds like an awful lot for a guy that will play maybe one down per series, if that.

not to mention, like i said last year, and am sure will say again this year, the "wildcat" offense is a gimmick and a bit of a joke. rex ryan's ravens defense showed the rest of the league exactly how to shut it down when they knocked off miami in the playoffs last year. more teams will run it this year because it's the new fad, but defenses should know what to do now, and it will go the way of the run & shoot. gimmick offenses are fun to watch for about five minutes.

oh, and if i were mcnabb, i'd be furious.

i got into a bit of a debate with some eagles fans on another forum about mcnabb, as they said he was mediocre and never delivered on his potential. one look at his stats and accomplishments shows that to be an utter joke.

the one that jumps out at me is that mcnabb had thrown the least interceptions per pass attempt of all time. if that's not impressive, what is?

what more can the guy do? look at what he's done and look at the receiving core he's done it with and tell me the guy is not one of the premier qb's in this league. how many more nfc championship games does he have to take the eagles to before the fans realize how good he is.

and then they say "yeah, well he lost last year's nfc championship game."

did he? i seem to recall he threw for 375 yards and 3 touchdowns, while running for 31 yards on 2 carries. it was the over-hyped eagles defense that couldn't make a single stop in the second half that lost that game, not mcnabb.

and then they respond "well he's not a premier qb because he never won a super bowl"

ok, which answer to that do you want... the one where i ask how many super bowls dan marino won? or would you prefer the one where i ask if trent dilfer or brad johnson are premier qb's because they have won super bowls? mcnabb is one guy, and he does more than most qb's do to win games by himself, but he can only do so much unless they line him up on defense too (and i bet in his youth, he'd have made one hell of a free safety)

let's say this... everyone knows my second favorite team behind my jets are the bucs. if the eagles don't want mcnabb anymore, please please please send him to tampa. any bucs fan knows just how good he is because we have seen him beat the bucs almost singlehandedly several times over the past few years.

marnold
August 15th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I've got no problem with somebody giving Vick a second chance. I'm glad it wasn't the Lions who gave him that chance, simply because after an 0-16 season they don't need to bring a circus to town. As Drew Sharpe pointed out on the Detroit Free Press website today, I hope that people who are calling for a second chance will do the same thing for a random black man who comes out of prison and can't throw or run with a football.

Let's also not forget that the main reason Vick spent the time he did in jail was not because of the dogfighting. He broke the one law for which there is no forgiveness: he lied to the Feds. Also remember that a large portion of his salary will be going to pay creditors. If his current financial plan is approved by the courts, 25% of his salary will go toward his debt. The more he makes in the future, the higher that percentage becomes. The reality is that unless he has a remarkable end to his career, he probably will never get out of debt.

Eventually, all of this will be forgotten. Don't believe me? How many people today have an issue with Ray Lewis? Two men were murdered. He was there. He was a part of the fight. He gave contradictory accounts to the police. He pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice, although he was originally also charged with murder. He gave no testimony of value. The men who were accused of murder were acquitted because of all the contradictory evidence. Two families are still without answers almost ten years later.

Yet now Lewis is lauded as one of the greatest players of our age. Is he? Undoubtedly. I still can't get over the fact that someone could watch two men die, lie about it, and then maintain a code of silence about it.

birv2
August 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Agreed about D MacNabb and how he's viewed. In Philly, he's a bum because he hasn't won the Big One. But about 25 other teams would be very happy to have him! Do Iggle fans REALLY want to see Kevin Kolb trying to lead a 4th quarter drive for a win? Didn't think so.

However, I do get tired of his throws to the receivers' shoelaces
:) ....

R_of_G
August 15th, 2009, 09:24 AM
However, I do get tired of his throws to the receivers' shoelaces
:) ....

:rotflmao:

still, better he throws it there than into the hands of a defender. and yes, that is speaking as a jets fan who watched brett favre make some incredibly ill-advised throws last season.

Yet now Lewis is lauded as one of the greatest players of our age. Is he? Undoubtedly. I still can't get over the fact that someone could watch two men die, lie about it, and then maintain a code of silence about it.

couldn't agree more with you marnold. i have a tremendous amount of respect for what lewis has done on the field, but i am conflicted because i don't think he should have had the opportunity to do it until the facts were known about his exact role in the fight/murders.

i also agree with you completely in your hope that the "second chance" mentality applies to everyone who has served their time, not just the ones that can play sports at a high level.

piebaldpython
August 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Well R & G...........I'll take you at your word about McNabb's stats. That said, you or anybody else can have McNabb and Andy Reid. :poke:

They underachieved IMO. Can't begin to tell you how many times one or both of them screwed up the final 2 minutes before half-time or the end of the game.

Of course McNabb doesn't throw a lot of INT's.....he throws one hopper's instead. :D

What vexes Philly fans the most is McNabb's demeanor and lack of emotion. He screws up a play or throws an INT or fumbles and 2 seconds later he's over on the sideline laughing and joking like nothing bad just happened. That drives us nuts and is probably the #1 reason why WE can't stand him. He just comes off these miscues like it's no big deal and that he could care less.

marnold
August 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
What vexes Philly fans the most is McNabb's demeanor and lack of emotion. He screws up a play or throws an INT or fumbles and 2 seconds later he's over on the sideline laughing and joking like nothing bad just happened. That drives us nuts and is probably the #1 reason why WE can't stand him. He just comes off these miscues like it's no big deal and that he could care less.
That's a catch 22 though. If he came off the field and threw his helmet and kicked over the Gatorade cooler, they'd complain that he can't control his emotions.

Remember how Eli Manning was always put down for appearing emotionless and "lacking leadership"? The Giants win the Super Bowl and suddenly it is the "calm composure of someone who has been there before." If you win, all your foibles are forgotten. If you don't you will be over-analyzed to death.

piebaldpython
August 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Marnold,,,,,,,,your point is well taken and WE don't want him knocking over the Gatorade stand either.. What we would like is to come off the field and be slightly pissed at himself or upset at himself. Not him; he's got that big Yuck-Yuck smile splattered all over his face. You'd have thought he just threw a TD pass.

Re Eli......yes he often appeared emotionless BUT when he threw an INT or fumbled away the ball he at least looked upset about it.

Your Packers can have him and you can have Reid back too. :poke:

luvmyshiner
August 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Pie, I wouldn't mind seeing Reid in the Lone Star State. What with his sons and all, and me doin' a little bit of criminal defense work . . . I could use the business.:poke:

marnold
August 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Your Packers can have him and you can have Reid back too. :poke:
Even though I live 1/2 hour from Lambeau, I'm a Lions fan. Yes, even after last year. People asked if that would make me give up. I've seen 2-14 and 4-12 seasons. 0-16 is worse inasmuch as it was unprecedented, but finally it's just semantics. It's just varying levels of suck.

piebaldpython
August 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
We had our show of SUCKY years too. They were showing on the NEWS how the sporting goods stores already had a bazillion VICK shirts made up and ready to sell.

SHINER....I'd be glad to throw a little work your way. However, Reid has put on so much weight, he can hardly be classified as "little". :rotflmao:

marnold
August 16th, 2009, 10:46 PM
We had our show of SUCKY years too.
Betcha aren't working on 52 in a row.

OK, so the 1991 season was pretty nice--still got creamed in the NFC Championship. The Lions' victory in the playoffs that year (vs. Dallas) is the only playoff win they've had since they won the NFL championship in 1957 (over Strummy's Browns).

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

piebaldpython
August 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
IGGLES play a pre-season game tomorrow nite and supposedly........VICK is gonna play. Should be interesting to see how this media circus act will turn out.

birv2
August 27th, 2009, 05:09 AM
IGGLES play a pre-season game tomorrow nite and supposedly........VICK is gonna play. Should be interesting to see how this media circus act will turn out.

Ray Didinger says not to expect too much, either for tonight or for the season. But Iggles fans being the calm, cool, rational lot they are (not), we might see hysteria one way or another!

I think it's an interesting addition, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does, but I'm not expecting miracles.

piebaldpython
August 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
From the town that bombarded Santa with snowballs during a game.......the Philly leather-lung crowd gave Vick........a long standing ovation. :thwap:

For some reason, we seem to love our sinners........so long as they admit their transgressions, pay their penance and profess to straighten out and do the right thing from said moment forward. Squeaky clean bothers us.......as though something's hidden. The afternoon before the game, Vick made arrangements to pay his $20 million penalty.

Weird I know......but that's Philly for ya.

evenkeel
August 29th, 2009, 06:28 AM
From the town that bombarded Santa with snowballs during a game.......

My favorite part of that story is in a "man on the street" TV interview a fan said "Santa had it comin". Gotta love Philly!!!

Vick looked pretty good. Only 6 plays, but 4 for 4. McNabb and Kolb also had good games.