PDA

View Full Version : Went and played a few guitars today!

Katastrophe
August 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
First time to touch a guitar in months. Went to the Texas Music Emporium in Houston and hung out for a bit. The salesguy was really cool. He showed me a bunch of guitars, but none of that GC pressure crap.

Baby Kat went with me. She did great, just standing and listening to Daddy play. One time she turned the volume off of the amph I was playing and said, "There, that's better." Leave it to kids to be brutally honest.:D She also had a leaky diaper and peed on one of the chairs at the store. Oooops. I cleaned it up, and was a bit embarassed.

I tried out a PRS Singlecut SE, with the maple top and flamed veneer. Wow. I've played one other before, and it was great, but this one was set up perfectly. Low action, the wide-fat neck was comfy, and the pups sounded great. An absolutely wonderful guitar for any price range.

The newer Charvels simply kick ***. A well built superstrat with Dimarzio pickups. 'Nuff said.

Ibanez still makes great guitars. I played one that was a hard tail with a bolt on neck, with Ibanez active pickups, complete with a mid boost switch. Beautiful and fun to play.

There was another RG model that was neck through, with 2 EMG humbuckers. It was awesome. Man, I do likes me some EMGs. Played through a Randall amph.

Anyway, it was good to get some playing time, and overall has been a good day.

ibanezjunkie
August 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
sounds like a fun day at the store :AOK:

went down to the store myself today, picked up a Vox V847a wah, great pedal.

had a whirl on a custom shop gibson LP too, Custom shopped to be identical to a 59' original. fun times.

M29
August 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a good time, even with the excess humidity on the youngster. Don't ya just love em.:D
It is tough when guitars feel just right or sound just right, ya wants em all:rockon:

M

luvmyshiner
August 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Texas Music Emporium? Hmmm. We're going to Houston over Labor Day to see the boy. Normally I talk him into taking us to GC, but I might have to check this place out.

Where is it Kat? He lives off of Westheimer (I know . . . that doesn't narrow things down:thwap: ), but if it's not to far I'd like to check it out.

Katastrophe
August 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
132D FM 1960 in North Houston, off of I 45. Take I-45 north to the FM 1960 exit. Exit 1960 and look for the store facing the feeder road just south of the 1960 intersection.

It's not a big place like GC, but they are jam packed with stuff. They were full of Fenders because of a special they were running.

just strum
August 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
We're going to Houston over Labor Day to see the boy.

Okay Tarzan.

luvmyshiner
August 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Okay Tarzan.

I know, I know. He gets all pissy if I say his name on the interwebs.:whatever: Cause he's got all these super secret ninjas tracking his every move trying to assassinate him and stuff.:thwap:

just strum
August 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Cause he's got all these super secret ninjas tracking his every move trying to assassinate him and stuff.:thwap:

I hate when that happens.

peachhead
August 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I know, I know. He gets all pissy if I say his name on the interwebs.:whatever: Cause he's got all these super secret ninjas tracking his every move trying to assassinate him and stuff.:thwap:

Just tell him it really doesn't matter, because if he's not wearing his tinfoil hat, the aliens already know where he is.

luvmyshiner
August 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Just tell him it really doesn't matter, because if he's not wearing his tinfoil hat, the aliens already know where he is.

Good Lord tell me about it Peachhead. If he wasn't so involved in all that nefarious, evil, satanic, World of Warcraft stuff the alien ninjas wouldn't even be looking for him.:thwap:

(I started to say "Dungeons and Dragons" stuff, but I realized the 80's are over:AOK: )

Childbride
August 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Good Lord tell me about it Peachhead. If he wasn't so involved in all that nefarious, evil, satanic, World of Warcraft stuff the alien ninjas wouldn't even be looking for him.:thwap:

(I started to say "Dungeons and Dragons" stuff, but I realized the 80's are over:AOK: )

don't you go pi$$9ng off gary gygax.

i will tell your son on you.

luvmyshiner
August 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
don't you go pi$$9ng off gary gygax.

That may be a little difficult honey since he died last year.:poke:

Unless the alien ninjas have brought his head back to life in their quest to track all the evil, nefarious, satanic d&d players who are now playing WOW.

Childbride
August 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Kat, we will go there. looking forward to it.

thanks. :)

ibanezjunkie
August 16th, 2009, 01:23 AM
nefarious, evil, satanic, world of warcraft and Runescape stuff :)

i have friends who play those games, but imho they are sort of :whatever: