PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Mechanicsburg, Pa.

otaypanky
August 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Greetings from beautiful Pennsylvania. I came across The Fret recently, poked around a bit, and thought it was a pretty cool place. So if you don't mind, I'll hop on for the ride.
'Been in love with guitar since I got a plastic Emenee Gene Autry guitar at age 6, 1958. Started getting serious when my folks surprised me with a guitar lesson and a Stella rental guitar on my 10th birthday. I've been hooked ever since. Started to dabble with bass 2 years ago and got a drum kit earlier this year.
I'm married to a wonderful woman who supports my love of music. No kids, 2 dogs, a cat, and all the deer, toads, and forest creatures that come to visit. I make custom straps, ride motorcycles, kayak, fish, and just love living here in Pa.
'Hope to get to meet a bunch of you ~
Bob

ibanezjunkie
August 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Welcome, Bob!

The information around here is probably amoung the best exchanged on the internet, atleast from what ive experienced so far. If you need any information about anything gear wise or whatever im sure the guys here will help.

Monkus
August 16th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Welocome !!! :rockon:

luvmyshiner
August 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Welcome aboard Bob.

evenkeel
August 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Welcome to the group. :beer:

How about a pic or two of the custom straps you make???

oldguy
August 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Welcome to TheFret, otayBob.
Let's see some of those straps when you get time............:D

birv2
August 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hey Bob, from another Bob in PA (I'm in Lancaster).

This is not only a great place for sharing info, but also has some of the nicest people. You'll be glad you landed here.

What do you play? And yeah, let's see some of those straps!

Bob

peachhead
August 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Welcome, Bob!

just strum
August 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hello Bob,

Sounds like you have some nice surroundings there, good music, and a great wife.

I'm in neighboring Ohio just outside of Cleveland. I use to visit PA regularly (Warminster, New Whales, and Harleysville). I'm actually headed to Ivy PA in about a week or two (somewhere near Philly).

Good to have you join the group.

mrmudcat
August 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Welcome brother!

bigG
August 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Welcome aboard!

duhvoodooman
August 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Bob. That's my name too. We were neighbors for a while--I lived in Lancaster back in '95 - '00. Back up in the Albany NY area now, where I'm originally from.

Anyway--glad to have you with us! :AOK: :beer: :rockon:

eichaan
August 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Welcome, Bob! I live in Dallas, PA (near Wilkes-Barre). This is a very nice forum--I think you'll like it here.

Brian Krashpad
August 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Bob. I know I know that monicker of yours from somewhere, but I post on so many boards I couldn't tell you which one.

Welcome.

otaypanky
August 18th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks to all for the welcome :)

otaypanky
August 18th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Some pics ~

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0005_2-1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0004-14.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0004_2-1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0005-15.jpg

evenkeel
August 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Beautiful leather work. Look for a PM from me. :bravo:

Robert
August 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Welcome Bob. Brookwood Leatherstraps huh? They look nice...

mrmudcat
August 19th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Bob I like the rsguitarworks logo on that strap but personally hope you have thier permission to use the copyrighted logo ,they are some great friends of mine.I would buy that strap fo-sho as long as it did not infringe on their copyrights!! Not trying to be unpleasant at all,hell you might know them aswell:D

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Awesome intro Bob! Welcome! Your leather work is beautiful! Please tell us more about your gear and what you like to play, etc. when you have time.

otaypanky
August 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Bob I like the rsguitarworks logo on that strap but personally hope you have thier permission to use the copyrighted logo ,they are some great friends of mine.I would buy that strap fo-sho as long as it did not infringe on their copyrights!! Not trying to be unpleasant at all,hell you might know them aswell:D

Thanks for the heads-up on that Mudcat. I made it for one of their customers who had them build a bass for him. He forwarded photos to RS as did I. I think they dug it ~ It's not a regular offering

mrmudcat
August 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
They are indeed great people!! Paula sends me free stuff on my born naked day!!!:rotflmao:

Heywood Jablomie
August 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hi, Bob. Always good to see a Pennsylvanian show up at the party. I lived in Philly and vicinity most of my life. Now in Oregon. I started on a Stella acoustic steel string with mile-high action - hard to play but I developed really good calluses.

otaypanky
September 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi, Bob. Always good to see a Pennsylvanian show up at the party. I lived in Philly and vicinity most of my life. Now in Oregon. I started on a Stella acoustic steel string with mile-high action - hard to play but I developed really good calluses.

I started on one too! On my 10th birthday (1962) I was out sleigh riding with the neighborhood kids. A woman pulled up in a little black Saab and asked where Bobby Schell lived. I said Hey, that's me ! I showed her our house, my mom opened the door, and it turned out that she was a guitar teacher and that was my birthday gift. She had a Stella rental for me. I wish she was still around so I could play for her now ~

Auriemma
September 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
OtayPanky, is that you (from OSG)?

Welcome bud! Another PA guy. I'm in West Norriton (NW of Phiily).

MAXIFUNK
September 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Welcome from on PA dude to another PITTSBURGH PA.

Here we go STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice straps do you sell them if so how can I get my hands on one out here in Cali.

Maxi..................... :beer:

otaypanky
January 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Welcome from on PA dude to another PITTSBURGH PA.

Here we go STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice straps do you sell them if so how can I get my hands on one out here in Cali.

Maxi..................... :beer:

Sorry Max, I missed your question there.
I have a website up, www.brookwoodleather.com

FrankenFretter
January 11th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I guess I missed this one. Welcome aboard, Bob! Very nice leather work.

otaypanky
January 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Thank You Sean :AOK

otaypanky
January 15th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Here's a couple I made up this week from a really super supple leather

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0117.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0092.jpg

Robert
January 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Looks great! Looks like you know how to make killer straps! :)

redgibson
January 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Wecome Bob I am a fellow PA'er myself from just outside Philadelphia (far enough away where i don't get shot, close enough i can visit :-) ) but i went to school near Mechanicsburg. Great place out there circa south central PA. Welcome to the fret :-)

-Jeff

otaypanky
January 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Jeff, Yes I love it here, it is beautiful. We have a great local music scene, and get lots of folks out to our weekly jam. I see you enjoy brewing beer, you probably went to Appalachian Brewing Company and Troegg's when you were out here.
But sadly, just like Philly, nearby in Harrisburg it seems like there are shootings almost daily. York and Lancaster too have lots of violence. And as the economy worsens there is increasing crime in the small quiet towns as well. I stay armed 24/7

bcdon
January 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have a website up, www.brookwoodleather.com
You do beautiful work! I really like the sheepskin padded ones. They look super comfortable.

guitarhack
January 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Welcome the forum, Bob. Beautiful work on the straps!

otaypanky
January 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks fellows
hey Andy, what's that console you're sitting at in your photo that's posted? At first I thought you are at your recording station, but on closer look, I think not ~

Geoffrey Charles
January 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome!

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Wow Bob! Those straps are fantastic.

A belated Welcome to you!

Here's a youtube from your site Bob posted so that Fretter's can see what you do:

tFYiDnUKC-M

birv2
January 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Great handiwork! It's fascinating to watch the care you put into these.

And I recognize you from the jams. This man can play and sing too, folks!

tot_Ou_tard
January 18th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Dayum

& I repeat daaAAAAYYYUUUuuummm!!!!!!

otaypanky
January 19th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Great handiwork! It's fascinating to watch the care you put into these.

And I recognize you from the jams. This man can play and sing too, folks!

Blame it on my obsessive compulsive tendencies ~ lol

Who are you and where do we run into one another? At the 40&8 ?

birv2
January 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Who are you and where do we run into one another? At the 40&8 ?

And at Shank's. I'm a bald hefty guy with a goatee and glasses. Wait a minute. That describes about half the clientele!

Bob

otaypanky
January 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Introduce yourself next time :poke

birv2
January 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Introduce yourself next time :poke

Will do.

:cool:

Bob