PDA

View Full Version : Ngd--souped Up Turbo Lap Steel

piebaldpython
August 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
:D Look at what's comin' to my house on Friday.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=165014

Custom made lap steel by Tom Pettingill. This is his initial model of his Frying Pan Special. The pups are hand wound jobs and as different as night and day. The neck pup (Lizard) is creamy and smooth. The bridge is called the Hellabucker and for good reason. Here's a link to the pups...scroll down the page to listen to clips of the Lizard and Hellabucker:

http://www.bg-pups.com/hb.html

Of course I don't play metal, but Tom said the Hella-B is a fabulous pup for bluesy slide stuff and that it splits really well.

This ought to be lots of fun. :D

oldguy
August 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM
It's beautiful!:drool:
What a great example of gorgeous woods and hardware, truly a work of art.
Congratulations, pie, you got a real winner.:D

mrmudcat
August 17th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Oh ive been waiting......................:munch:

wingsdad
August 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM
That's so hot, you'll be playin' it so much you're gonna need to invest in...

One of These (http://www.bethmansales.com/products/1819.html)

bigG
August 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Outstanding, pbp! :bravo:

Jimi75
August 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I can't help, but that instrument's wood looks so beautiful....it reminds me of something to eat....just like honey, cake, swirl, mmmhhh, just gorgeous.

:master:

oldguy
August 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
That's so hot, you'll be playin' it so much you're gonna need to invest in...

One of These (http://www.bethmansales.com/products/1819.html)

Hahahahaha! I was expecting an amph or slide bar.... hahahahaha!:rotflmao:

piebaldpython
August 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
That's so hot, you'll be playin' it so much you're gonna need to invest in...One of These[/URL]

Yeah, no doubt I probably should. With as much padding as I have back there, one wouldn't think so :rotflmao: ...

peachhead
August 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM
That's pretty sharp. Can't wait to hear some clips!

luvmyshiner
August 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Pie she is a beaut! Gonna be able to post any clips for us?

piebaldpython
August 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Clips ain't happening as I don't have the equipment to do so plus my computer is ANCIENT.......as in Neanderthal. She's 10-11 years old, 128mb of memory and runs on Windows 98.

But if I get a NEW computer, then maybe some clips. :D

tot_Ou_tard
August 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Dang that looks sweet.

How hard are they to play?

Katastrophe
August 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
That's one gorgeous steel, Piebaldpython!

She's gonna scream. It's amazing that the builder found flame maple that thick!

It's just awesome.:D :AOK: :bravo: :beer:

piebaldpython
August 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
How hard are they to play?

Well, there are some things you have to get used to....namely, that the git is on your lap (like a Dobro) and you are holding a slide or bar in your left hand. You just have to experiment with how much pressure to use on the slide/bar when putting them to the strings. Practice yields familiarity which yields confidence in your technique. Picking hand wise, you just have to get used to picking on a horizontal plane instead of vertical.

He hand selects his woods from a couple different lumber yards near him. The guy really is amazing with what he can do. Here's a link to some of his other creations:
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/tompettingill/

His stuff really makes you drool.

Childbride
August 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Pie, she's beautiful. and i know you've been dying for her. congrats. :D :D :D

evenkeel
August 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM
WOW!!! That is a stunning instrument. Congrats!!! :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Well, there are some things you have to get used to....namely, that the git is on your lap (like a Dobro) and you are holding a slide or bar in your left hand. You just have to experiment with how much pressure to use on the slide/bar when putting them to the strings. Practice yields familiarity which yields confidence in your technique. Picking hand wise, you just have to get used to picking on a horizontal plane instead of vertical.
I assume that you use open tunings. Are you going to use those metal fingerpicks?

piebaldpython
August 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'll keep this one in Open E with an occasional foray into Open A (Open Low G tuned up a whole step to A). My other lap I'll put into Open High G (Dobro tuning).

That being said, you can play a lap in standard tuning too as the first 3 strings (e, b and g) are a full minor chord and your (b, g and d) strings are a major chord. So, it can be done depending on the makeup of the other guitars in your group.

I will try bare fingers with a thumbpick first and then possible go to plastic fingerpicks if I can't generate equivalent volume. The metal gives a bit of a harsh sound and feel that I'm not real fond of. There are other fingerpicks out there that I may experiment with too.

wingsdad
August 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I will try bare fingers with a thumbpick first and then possible go to plastic fingerpicks if I can't generate equivalent volume. The metal gives a bit of a harsh sound and feel that I'm not real fond of. There are other fingerpicks out there that I may experiment with too.

In my feeble (as in: less-than-dedicated) attempts to master dobro & lap, I prefer plastic thumb & fingerpicks because they're easier control picking dynamics (volume & tonal 'edge') -- indeed, less 'harsh' -- but also, I figure they're easier on the life of the string. Seems to me that metal-to-metal invites faster wear & stress. Especially with the dobro, which requires fairly aggressive attack to make the bridge transfer stronger vibrations to the cone to make it sing.

piebaldpython
August 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
+1 Wingsdad on the Plastic thumb and fingerpicks. I figure if Plastic is good enough for Bob Brozman, it's good enough for me. :D

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I will try bare fingers with a thumbpick first and then possible go to plastic fingerpicks if I can't generate equivalent volume. .
Do they sound sucky with a bare thumb?

piebaldpython
August 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
It's just a different type of guitar. So, it doesn't sound crappy at all with a bare thumb.........if you can pull it off. Most people just can't be accurate enough to use a bare thumb. Doesn't mean it can't be done. I tried like heck to use a bare thumb but just couldn't develop accuracy or speed. I use a thumbpick.

BluesHowler
August 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I don't have gas for guitars usually but I'm experiencing major gas for that lap steel. It is simply gorgeous! I've been playing my cheap lap steel and just loving it so much I've neglected my other guitars.

Plastic thumb and finger picks are the way to go. The metal ones sound harsh to me. Bare thumb and fingers can sound good depending on what style song you are playing.

Brian Krashpad
August 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
That's too beatiful to just lay in your lap!

;)

street music
August 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Pie, that is one beautiful steel, I bet the sound is really nice. It must be nice to have so much talent.

piebaldpython
August 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Pie, that is one beautiful steel, I bet the sound is really nice. It must be nice to have so much talent.

:D Yeah, the guy who made it, Tom Pettingill, is extremely talented with an incredible sense of style and detail. He knows his stuff about woods, finishes, etc.

My talent is much less so........but this baby makes you want to practice and to improve.