PDA

View Full Version : Nuts?

street music
August 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I ordered a new Tusq nut for my Takamine acoustic Electric along with tusq bridge pins and a saddle. The pins are no problem, the saddle will require some custom shaping as it is compensated not only on top but also on the bottom where it fits into the transducer- never saw this before. The nut will be a first for me-my question is what glue should be used on the new nut to install it? I don't want to use the wrong type that might cause problem if it had to be removed??
HELP or suggestion welcome.

wingsdad
August 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Luthiers use what's called 'hide glue', but plain ol' Elmer's white glue will do the trick. Do NOT use any type of superglue. You want to be able to remove the nut easily if it ever needs work or replacing.

mrmudcat
August 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Agreed no superglue it will take wood up if you need to change it etc.

Gorilla makes a good white wood glue now that ive used recently.

Dont use the regular gorilla glue!!!:thwap:

pes_laul
August 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hmm speaking of nuts I have a question:

When I changed the strings on my acoustic (and filed the bridge down) the nut actually came off. Should it be able to come off or should it be glued in or something?

Tibernius
August 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
When I changed the strings on my acoustic (and filed the bridge down) the nut actually came off. Should it be able to come off or should it be glued in or something?

It's an old Classical guitar trick; there's a theory that not gluing the nut in to place improves the tone of the guitar. Now it's commonly used as it saves the manufacturers money.

pes_laul
August 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
It's an old Classical guitar trick; there's a theory that not gluing the nut in to place improves the tone of the guitar. Now it's commonly used as it saves the manufacturers money.
Next time I change strings do you think I should glue it on or leave it be?

evenkeel
August 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'll jump on the pain old Elmers bandwagon. As Pes has discovered, nothing will actually work fine. String tension will hold it in place. But, just a drop of elmers will stick it down, easy to remove and you don't have to hassle every time you change the strings.

street music
August 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys , I think I can handle this if the removal goes well. Pes - be sure its the nut - NOT THE SADDLE- I heard a guy the other night mention glueing his saddle in place.

pes_laul
August 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys , I think I can handle this if the removal goes well. Pes - be sure its the nut - NOT THE SADDLE- I heard a guy the other night mention glueing his saddle in place.
I'm pretty sure it's the nut. By the headstock right?