PDA

View Full Version : The ones that got away ...

jpfeifer
August 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Hi,

Along the lines of vintage gear, I thought that it would be fun to make a posting to talk about all the vintage gear that you almost owned, back in the old days, or ones that you owned at one time but don't own any more.

My one and only brush with a primo piece of vintage gear was during my high school years. One of my older guitar playing buddies had a '62 Strat and he let me borrow it for about 1 year. It was a brown sunburst model with a rosewood fretboard. He never played it and offered to sell it to me for $600. At the time I was in high school and $600 was a lot of money to spend on a "used" guitar. I played it quite a bit. It even had the old 3-position pickup selector, checked finish, original case, etc. It sounded really good, even though I was really wanting a Les Paul back then since all the popular guitar players were using LP's at the time.

I passed on the offer to buy it. (I'm still kicking myself today!) This same guitar would be worth thousands today.

-- Jim

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
Great idea Jim ... theres a few in everyones past I bet , sorta like the baseball cards our moms threw out , lets hear the stories ...

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
In many ways I regret selling this Marshall cabinet in 1989. Its the one on the left of course.....

I'm pretty sure it was a '60s cabinet. It had metal handles and no corners and the grill was basketweave. Cabinet also had 25 watt Greenbacks like my other cabinet to the right. Back when I was single and poor as hell (and in debt) I was in a fix to pay for my fiance's engagement ring. All I had was guitars and amps. Since I had recently acquired both cabinets I figured I would be able to make more money (doh!) off the tweed cabinet (wince) to help pay for my future wife's engagement ring as I had already made a down payment....I just needed to pay it off. :( So I sold it to a bass player no less. He bought it on the spot. A friend of mine who was also a player and a Marshall enthusiast went with me to help me load and unload the cabinet. He also had some sweet checkerboard 70s Marshall top cabinets and always borrowed my bottom cabinet on gigs. He thought I was nuts for selling it of course as did I....but when you need the moolah you gotta do what you gotta do. I suppose I could have borrowed the money somewhere but....oh well. My wife loves this story naturally. :)

Oh yeah the Fender silverface Bandmaster was in my posession for a couple of years. It's not one of the most popular Fender amps but it's still a Fender and I also regret having traded that off. Moral of the story for you youngsters......don't trade for crap! *shakes finger at you* :)

marnold
August 23rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
I know that this is hardly a "vintage" story, but it is a regret nonetheless. When I got out of grad school I decided that I was unlikely to play in a band anymore. Thus I sold my bass (a red Peavey Fury P-bass clone with a maple neck/fretboard and hard case) and my amp (a Peavey Basic 50). I think I threw away my pedals (DOD Bass Chorus, DOD Bass Equalizer, Crybaby Bass Wah) and cables. Of course, it took roughly two years for me to regret this massively. I'm still not in a band, but I'd still like to play it. I didn't even get enough money from selling the bass and amp to stick up my nose.

tremoloman
August 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
I have no idea what model it was, but I bought a VOX amp for $15 at a yard sale back in 1991. It was a stand-up 1-piece unit and was very old looking. It was black with a chrome control panel and knobs. The input jack was on the upper right hand side if I remember correctly. The speaker cabinet part had the old-style VOX logo on the right hand side. It was about 3-4 feet tall and was a little narrower than the amps they sell today.

Would any of you know what this was?

It was an awesome sounding amp, but sadly it was stolen from me by someone who I thought was my friend. I've been burned many times for trusting people too quickly. I did do a search on Vox's archive on their website and I couldn't find it there. I would love to finally find out what the hell it was that I used to have. It's been bugging me for over 10 years!

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Trem - maybe Ebay? Wouldn't that freak you out if you found one there!

warren0728
August 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
I would love to finally find out what the hell it was that I used to have. It's been bugging me for over 10 years!
that's how i feel about my first electric guitar...i am still looking for one i think could be it! Search ebay every morning...have seen some close ones but not exacxtly like the one i had.

ww