PDA

View Full Version : HELP with band name, plz?

deeaa
August 18th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hello.

We settled on a name for our punkish-grungish new band...we'll see how it turns out to be but so far it seems it's gonna be something usually pretty fast and raw like Nirvana, but songs maybe more Alice in Chains style, we'll see how it turns out...

Anyway the name is 'Spookbox' which came about from we threw a few cover gigs like a 'jukebox' but we thought we were probably scary looking with our ugly mutts and punk aggressive playing...

But now I found out its also a derogatory term, spook I mean, which is not something I want...

So my question is whether the name Spookbox gives you any negative feelings?

I'll post a beta logo soonish...

ragnarpk
August 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
who cares if a part of your band name is a racist term that is hardly ever used. keep it.

deeaa
August 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
who cares if a part of your band name is a racist term that is hardly ever used. keep it.

Yeah, thanks, that's what I thought but not being a native speaker of English and living in scandinavia where you seldom even see anybody but scandinavian people I wanted to make sure it's not instantly translated by people as racist :rockon:

Spudman
August 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Scary name. I like it.

pie_man_25
August 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
/\ Same, I like it.

marnold
August 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't think that anybody would immediately have a problem with it . . . unless they're looking to have a problem with something. Unfortunately there are plenty of people like that out there today. That's a pretty archaic term. If push comes to shove, you could replace the "oo" with a u and an umlaut. Actually, that sounds pretty funny.

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 03:43 AM
OK here's the logo I drew for us:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spook8.jpg

Hopefully it says 'punkish rock-grunge' at some level.

pie_man_25
August 22nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
/\ I dunno about "Punkish rock-grunge", but it sure does look cool!

kiteman
August 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
How about "Malice In Pains"? :D

Jimi75
August 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
How 'bout "Snake River"?

bigG
August 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Man, dee, that's an awesome logo! Looks very 3-D in the pic, w the skull seeming to stand out. Very creative and well done! :dude:

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks! At some point it was very 3-d looking, kind of embossed/with reflections making it look like a raised surface etc. but I decided it was all too 'hi-fi' and clean...I flattened it and want to make it even more black/white and cartoon-like.

I want to get rid of the grays still, find an alternative way of making the skull outlines weaker than the text lines. And it should be a little less wavy etc...something that would be easy to spray on a wall by hand and still recognizable.

EDIT: done that now, the orig. pic has changed.

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
OK I think this one is better...you don't really need the skull outline or anything there. Simpler and more effective!

EDIT: the 1st one is now the current one.