PDA

View Full Version : How do you define a "Boutique" amp?

Robert
August 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
What is your definition of a "Boutique" amp?

This term we all see quite often, but what does it really mean?

MichaelE
August 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I would define it as a high-end amp not widely available nor mass-produced and hand wired point to point.

Robert
August 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
So scarcity is important. If it is an expensive amp not widely available, but it isn't hand-wired, then it shouldn't be called Boutique?

sumitomo
August 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
The name boutique = $ Sumi:D I'm not buying all the hype anymore.

marnold
August 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm with Sumi. Boutique = costs more than the average family sedan.

mrmudcat
August 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
How about one that builds to your specs with some imput on options using beter than average parts:dude: etc etc!!!

piebaldpython
August 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
+1 on what Mud said and the same goes for gits too. Suffice to say, that "boutique" doesn't always have to be outrageously expensive either. My gut feeling is that "costing a pretty penny" is one thing....feeling like you're part of the re-make of DELIVERANCE is quite another. :D

deeaa
August 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Yep, for instance my Ceriatone 36RP Nik built me I'd definitely say is a 'boutique' amp. Hand wired and built point-to-point with excellent parts....with my name inked on many parts to keep track of what is going where.

Yet it cost me roughly 0a third an equivalent Marshall would have cost me, complete with shipping all the way from Malaysia.

I also had this 15W hand-built double-ended ptp amp...it was also 'boutique'.
A marvellous amp BTW, it had two power amp 'ends' and it could for instance take a 6xxx or 5xxx tube on one socket and an EL84 on the other; separate volumes for each too and on simultaneously.

That also cost me only a couple hundred. I sort of gave it to a friend of mine later.

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Boutique means a small outfit where you would have direct contact with the builder.

They do tend to cost more than production items.

bigG
August 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Boutique means a small outfit where you would have direct contact with the builder.

+1

Swart is an excellent example...the perfect example, in fact. :D

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Concur. Handbuilt, sometimes to customer specs or the customer would have input on certain choices, etc., to be decided along with the builder.

Robert
August 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
So DVM's pedals are definitely boutique pedals then? I have always thought that boutique gear has to be filthy expensive. Something hand-built could still be "inexpensive" if the builder chooses to price his products that way.

piebaldpython
August 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
DVM's pedals are boutique to the extent that he can give you "choices" wherever possible in the components of the pedals and you have direct contact with the builder. Plus, DVM very often will add mods to the BYOC pedals which of course adds to the "boutiqueness". :D

My custom built lap steel is as Boutique as you can get as I had input/options on EVERY part of the build. :master:

My Mack Gem Combo Amp (on order) is boutique in that I have direct contact with the builder.

deeaa
August 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Concur. Handbuilt, sometimes to customer specs or the customer would have input on certain choices, etc., to be decided along with the builder.

Me too. Only at least over here you can pretty much have an amph built exactly to specs and better parts than real and still it will cost half the dough.

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
So DVM's pedals are definitely boutique pedals then? I have always thought that boutique gear has to be filthy expensive. Something hand-built could still be "inexpensive" if the builder chooses to price his products that way.

Yep. Sounds right to me!

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
+1

Swart is an excellent example...the perfect example, in fact. :D
Gries is another one.

He is not building anymore. I bought mine used & he has graciously answered any questions that I've had.

It's a quite a thing when you get your questions answered by the person that built the gizmo.

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
So DVM's pedals are definitely boutique pedals then? I have always thought that boutique gear has to be filthy expensive. Something hand-built could still be "inexpensive" if the builder chooses to price his products that way. I don't see why boutique, by definition, involves cost.

I was gonna suggest Vood as a boutique builder.

He'll really gain his boutique snaps when he designs a unique (ie non BYOC-based) pedal.

I said when ;).

ibanezjunkie
August 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
:rotflmao: i think the features of boutique amps tend to be things like lower wattage, crankability, chimey tone, hand wired and usually cased in expensive wood, wrapped in leather or some other expensive material.

its mostly in the looks with alot of boutique brands. And usually, like was previously said, you could get a decent used car for the same price youd expect to pay for say a Divided by 13 or a Two Rock Custom Rvrb. Sig.

Boutique
http://machinehead.co.uk/images/rsa-lg.jpg

Although It does the same job, has the same voicing but is MASS PRODUCED, not boutique..
http://bassmiddletreble.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/vox_ac30_custom_classic_guitar_combo_amplifier1.jp g

That Divided By 13 is £3,000 there abouts, about $5600 i think. the vox is just over a grand GB (its the top boosted model) so just under $2k US.

personally id rather have the vox.

Robert
August 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Is it still a boutique amp if I buy a "hand built" amp that I had no input about, like color, options, specs, etc - I just bought it as it was made, sitting on the floor?

ibanezjunkie
August 21st, 2009, 04:09 PM
an amp that you buy off the floor as is, is still boutique if it fits that description. An amp you designed or had custom built would be a custom Boutique or Custom Signature :)

zoranrataj2000
October 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Boutique amp is High Quality amp with high quality component, usually very expensive output transformer (200$ and more), usually use NOS tubes which can be very very expensive and they build after many years study.If you change position of elements or tubes or transformer or input you change characteristic of amp.Beacuse each elements(caps,resistor...) should have exactly one position and this is many years experience.And Boutique amps are usually built from less component as possible, only the necessary one.
It is not necessary they are PTP built.PTP is for small production.
For example:
Hughes and Kettner PURETONE have one knob GROWL which at maximum bypassing complete tone control for pure guitar signal.
Boutique amp usually sound fantastic and they are very dynamic.But for people who do not playing dynamic it is waste of money, beacuse you can sound the same from many less expesive amps.If you buy boutique amps you should learn to play guitar again to using, what your amp offer to you.
Zoran

Plank_Spanker
October 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Boutique is becoming a hard term to define. Here's my take:

Small builder, very small production runs, most made to order

Uber high end components

Extreme craftsmanship and care with wiring, soldering, etc

Builder stands behind the amp for life

markb
October 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Boutique = small shop, low production but off the shelf

Custom = built to customer specification. This word has been seriously misused by the gear industry. Most "custom shop" guitars out there should really be labeled "boutique" unless they are truly one-off pieces built for an individual.

sumitomo
October 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Plank just got what I would call Custom,one of a kind tone goodness.The Boutique name has been ruined my some trying to jump on to make a buck,which isn't bad cause this is still a free country here in the U.S. at least for a little while more.Sumi:D