PDA

View Full Version : Best Strat Pickups.

Mike90
August 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hey guys i was thinking about pulling the lipsticks out of my Danelectro and replacing them with some sweet strat pickups. was wondering what you guys think are the best ones, Whether be a set of three or even different pickups in each position.

mrmudcat
August 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
favs of mine fender texas specials and the 69 set:AOK:

lots of choices out there if you want expensive or inexpensive:D

Duff
October 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I like Texas Specials but played some samarium cobalts and was really impressed, they r in an Amer Deluxe strat that must help them sound so good, but I will likely try a set.
How r the tex mex?

Duff
S Williamsport, Pa

msteeln
October 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
www.pickersparts.com has a good selection of their own 'under the radar ' Strat PUs at varying great prices, and they have the Fender Tex-Mex set at $90!
Call Jose and ask him about his selection and what is best for you. Seems they have even more available than what comes up on the site.

ZMAN
October 26th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I am a big fan of the Tex Mex in my 60th Ann. I also have a 50th with the SCN (Sumarium Cobalt Noiseless). Also any of the Alnico 5s with the staggered pole pieces. If I were doing a pickup set I would throw in the matching pots and switch at the same time. Don't know what is in the Danelectro. A little more solder but not much more expense. In fact you might want to get another pickguard and just swap them out. You can always pop it back in down the road.

Tig
October 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM
www.pickersparts.com (http://www.pickersparts.com)

+1 if you are talking about their Tonerider pickups (http://pickersparts.auctivacommerce.com/Tonerider-Strat-Pickups-C31376.aspx).
They have some great pickups for excellent prices.

ZMAN
October 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hey Mcsteein, that is a pretty nice deal. I just went through the custom wired pickgaurd and put together a Tex Mex with Mint guard and aged knobs with american switching for 145 dollars. I might just get one sent to my mailing address in Maine. Cool site!

msteeln
October 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
+1 if you are talking about their Tonerider pickups.The TRs are supposedly indeed good, but I've heard some prefer the house brands.
There are a few sites, like www.guitarfetish.com that offer low priced great sounding PUs that are their own. Havn't had experience with any of them myself yet, but hope to. Per standard wired PUs I guess there's only so many ways to wind a PU that up and coming winders are able to undercut the big names. Of course, Bill Lawrence has been there for decades.
I'd like to find an HB that matches (or beats :crazyguy )the costly Mules from Bare Knuckles, which are the best I've come accross.

marnold
October 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hey guys i was thinking about pulling the lipsticks out of my Danelectro and replacing them with some sweet strat pickups. was wondering what you guys think are the best ones, Whether be a set of three or even different pickups in each position.
What exactly are you looking for in a pickup? Vintage tone? Hum-canceling? Humbucking? How much are you willing to spend? That will help narrow down the choices for you.

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I am a big fan of the Tex Mex in my 60th Ann.

I'll second that, though I do not think there are any "best" pickups for strats or other guitars. A matter of taste and preference, and depends on what you want. Some folks really like that old vintagey sound. With the new CV strats for instance, a lot of folks preferred the sound of the 50's pups, while I liked the 60's better because I think they are closer to tex mex, like in my 60th. So, that is clear as mud, right? Up to you I guess to go play some guitars and find what you like I guess.

Robert
October 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
The Suhr V60LP single coils are the best pickups I've ever had. :)

ZMAN
October 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Interesting Robert: The DC resistance on the V60LPs is 6.3, 6.3 and 7.2, on the Tex Mex they are 6.4, 6.4 and 7.4. Pretty darn close for our tired ears.
Now I know why I like the Tex Mex.

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hmm Zman, veddy interestink!!!

Robert
August 8th, 2014, 08:40 AM
The Fender CS Fat 50's are really good too! Comes standard on my American Standard Strat.

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM
The Fender CS Fat 50's are really good too! Comes standard on my American Standard Strat.
I second that emotion! Love the sound of the CS Fat '50s in my Am. Std. Strat. I believe they started using them in the Am. Std. in 2012--prior to that, they were only available in the Fender Custom Shop models or as an aftermarket upgrade.

Neal
September 9th, 2014, 06:27 AM
I have been using Joe Barden pickups, in my strat , and tele builds, for my own axes. I did build a strat, using the Fralin vintage, and they are a very good pickup with a good pure strat tone.
The best pickup for the money is the Golden Age, from Stewmac: http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Electric_Guitar/Golden_Age_Alnico_5_Single-coil_Pickups.html

Perfect Stranger
September 15th, 2014, 03:31 PM
My #1 Strat has had the Fender Noiseless Hi-Gain Jeff Beck pickups in it for about 4 years and I love them.