PDA

View Full Version : Sold my soul

Spudman
August 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
That's not a typo - I sold my soul :puke:

I got offered some good $ to play some modern country and bit like a fish during mayfly hatch. I know what you're thinking, "man Spud will prostitute himself for just about anything." To some extent yes I will, but I do have an ulterior motive. First - I need to get my chops back, Second - I want to get visible in the music community again, Third - I'm hopefully starting a new band doing material more suited to my playing style, Fourth - I want to show off my new Thefret.net thong!

Right now I'm stuffing my poor brain with Gretchen Wilson, Alan Jackson, Sugarland, Teri Clark, Lonestar and Travis Tritt. I may never be the same again. Please forgive my decline into insanity. I promise I'll try to be back doing heavy riffs just as soon as I can.

Light a candle for me and chant the lotus sutra.

Robert
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM
NO! How can you live with yourself? The Master of progrock goes country? :D That new thong better look real good on you! (pics?)

piebaldpython
August 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Geez, Spud went country!! :confused: Rumor has that any of your gits that aren't shaped like a Tele are takin' the first train out of Idaho. :D

pes_laul
August 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Well spud I can honestly say WOW but at the same time I admire that you will open yourself to different music styles.

I try to do the same thing because I like showcasing different styles (like jazz band and stuff)

But still COUNTRY??? :p

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Who's that guy? Spud? Never heard of him before.

:rotflmao:

Spud, it's important to be "visible" on the musical scene. You ain't no bedroom rocker. Step on stage, play that Country stuff and next thing you'll form a nice prog band. Be active!

Cross my fingers for you.

Jimi75

Jipes
August 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Forgive my lack of culture but is country that bad ? I love some stuff which has been classified in country like Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris or Junior Guitar Brown ;)

Of course I know that they are some "sirup" stuff but maybe you get the chance to shake the tree a little Ol' bit :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
August 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Forgive my lack of culture but is country that bad ? I love some stuff which has been classified in country like Guy Clark, Emmylou Harris or Junior Guitar Brown ;)

Of course I know that they are some "sirup" stuff but maybe you get the chance to shake the tree a little Ol' bit :rotflmao:
Spud has to play the sticky, sweet, saccharine stuff. :D

Jipes
August 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Too bad Spud ! But hey it's a job, right ;)

street music
August 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
congrats Spud, that is great! The country being played today is almost like classic rock crossed with some Deep Purple. I have a buddy that is touring with JUSTIN MOORE, one of the hotest country acts on the scene right now his new album is up to #3.
I'm sure you will blend your own touch into the country music and before long we will be watching SPUD-SLINGER with a paisley paint job on a Les Paul or a TELECASTER with racing stripes. GO SPUD!

Robert
August 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Nothing wrong with a country gig like that - it's good work and I bet it will be fun. We are just teasing Spud, no harm meant.

M29
August 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Hand waving cell phone in the air.............................................:o

sumitomo
August 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Well with a name like Spud you better know some country! Sumi:D

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I could imagine that you come to the gig with your bike Spud...

CcvN345ZLV0

sunvalleylaw
August 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds to me like you are just going to have to change your attitude about this thing.

kzldLJcorbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzldLJcorbo

Did you buy yourself that new Ibanez fiddle you were eyeing down at Chesbro's? Sun's comin' up, I got cakes on the griddle . . . . .;)

Tone2TheBone
August 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Well if you're lucky you might get to play more progressive country like Taylor Swift.

marnold
August 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
If that band comes with one of these, all is forgiven:
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/alisonkrauss-gal-country.jpg

I sentence you to two solid months of teh br00talz to atone.

Of course, this is coming from a headbanger who once played bass in the bluegrass band, so what do I know?

Brian Krashpad
August 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
If that band comes with one of these, all is forgiven:
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/alisonkrauss-gal-country.jpg

One of these? :confused:

I count two.

Anyhow, prayers said, mojo sent.

I bet country bands rake in the dough. It'd be nice to actually make some coin for a change.

hubberjub
August 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Right now I'm stuffing my poor brain with Gretchen Wilson, Alan Jackson, Sugarland, Teri Clark, Lonestar and Travis Tritt.

This is not country. These people are industry produced pop musicians that sing with a souther dialect atop overly processed music with a steel guitar thrown in for effect. Shame on you.

I'm just kidding. It's an opportunity to play.

Spudman
August 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the support and pokes. Everyone is completely right too. There is a girl singer in the band but I haven't met her yet. She'd better be hot because the rest of the band isn't and from what I've heard so far she isn't all that great of a singer.

Ya the money is pretty good and the work frequent. The band consists of old pros and rehearsals start next week. We'll see how long I can stomach it. It might also be that they want a little more funk/blues influence in their set list too. We'll see if they want to play any of my material before I go out too far on that limb.

I really like that banjo on the bicycle idea. Hmmmm.....naw.:D

Katastrophe
August 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Good luck. I've played (briefly) in two country bands, and there are some parts in country music that can be downright jazzy. Some of the tunes in my last band's setlist gave me fits.

I'll agree, though, that most of the new stuff out today just ain't that hard to play, and is close to classic rock.

Have fun with it, man!

peachhead
August 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hey, good luck and have fun. Send us some clips so we have proof. :D

Seriously, have a good time, that's what it's all about.

mrmudcat
August 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hey country is cool...............isnt it ?????

piebaldpython
August 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
It won't be TOO bad Spud. Travis Tritt and Lonestar have a few rockin' numbers. I recall hearing some slide in a Lonestar tune or two.

My concern, is what you're gonna have to wear on stage. Your outfit could be really emasculating.....and well, golly gee Spud........hmmmmmmm...hey, maybe Shiner can loan you some cowboy shirts and western type garb, maybe a cowboy hat too. It's bad enough to have to wear that kind of clothing.....it's even worse to have to PAY $$$'s for it. With all the Texans we have on the Fret, you might come up with a few nice ensembles. lol

I'd like to help you out there Spud.......but.....no self-respecting Yankee would be caught dead in that stuff. lol

Spudman
August 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I think I can just wear this and a hat.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Junk/jitcrunchaspx.jpg

piebaldpython
August 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I thought you were playing in a country band....not The Village People. :rotflmao:

Seriously, I think it's great that you're going out and playin'g live Spud. Furthermore, kudos for going out of your element musically too. Keep us posted.

Childbride
August 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
It won't be TOO bad Spud. Travis Tritt and Lonestar have a few rockin' numbers. I recall hearing some slide in a Lonestar tune or two.

My concern, is what you're gonna have to wear on stage. Your outfit could be really emasculating.....and well, golly gee Spud........hmmmmmmm...hey, maybe Shiner can loan you some cowboy shirts and western type garb, maybe a cowboy hat too. It's bad enough to have to wear that kind of clothing.....it's even worse to have to PAY $$$'s for it. With all the Texans we have on the Fret, you might come up with a few nice ensembles. lol

I'd like to help you out there Spud.......but.....no self-respecting Yankee would be caught dead in that stuff. lol

[sigh...]

:thwap:

we do not, contrary to popular belief, all dress like bud and sissy in urban cowboy.

[edit: although shiner may be able to lay his hands on some of the old porter wagoner collection, you'd have to ask :) ]

i do not own a belt, much less a buckle.

neither of us own a single wranglers snap dress shirt.

i own a pair of lucchese's, b/c they are comfortable as crud, not b/c it's part of fashion.

:) Spud, good luck.

peachhead
August 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I forgot to mention-
if the crowd looks restless, always remember one word:

rawhide.

:D :AOK:

piebaldpython
August 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
[sigh...]

:thwap:

we do not, contrary to popular belief, all dress like bud and sissy in urban cowboy.

[edit: although shiner may be able to lay his hands on some of the old porter wagoner collection, you'd have to ask :) ]

i do not own a belt, much less a buckle.

i own a pair of lucchese's, b/c they are comfortable as crud, not b/c it's part of fashion.

:) Spud, good luck.

:thwap: Y'all don't dress like Urban Cowboy?? How about ROADHOUSE (that Patrick Swayze movie)?? Ooh, do y'all dress like the Ewings in DALLAS (the hit TV show)??

Well, I don't think they ever did a TV show or a movie with some nekid guy riding around on a tractor. :whatever:

Hey, how soon until the IGGLES knock the stuffing out of your COWBOYS and unceremoniously dump them in the Brazos River?? Game on!! :D

bigoldron
August 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I really like that banjo on the bicycle idea. Hmmmm.....naw.:D

Unless you look like this on a bike:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/biker.jpg

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

peachhead
August 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Dang, I shouldn't have checked this before bed. :messedup:

sumitomo
August 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Remember Spud the potato goes in the front,heck now that I think about it with a name like Spud you can get away with it.I can see it now when the band takes a break and some cowgirl comes up to you and says,what's your name and you answer Spud,she'll say you sure are.:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Sumi:D

Spudman
August 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Depending on the night and what the set list is I suppose potatoes could go in the front...and back.

I'll bet we'd get more gigs if I added potatoes.

SuperSwede
August 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Depending on the night and what the set list is I suppose potatoes could go in the front...and back.

I'll bet we'd get more gigs if I added potatoes.

Nothing more country than potatoes.. but really, its pretty cool to play with other people, country or not. :)

Spudman
August 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM
I went out tonight to hear the band in action. Wow! The guitar player is really hot. He toured with the Bellamy Brothers and lived many years in Nashville and it shows. He's got licks up the wazoo.

The female singer...to say it nicely... Adolescent Idol (except she's 40). Good at backups but not a lead singer.

It's going to be tough to keep my mouth shut during gigs, but I'm professional right? Please tell me I am so that I wont get myself into trouble.

piebaldpython
August 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM
OK......keep your yap shut and just do what you're PAID to do. :D Now, once you've earned some cred with the band members, then maybe you can voice an opinion on stuff that you're ASKED about.

I don't know the circumstance of how you came to join the band......but unless they sought you out specifically, I'd keep quiet. :D

At least the guitarist is really good......or you'd really be chomping at the bit. :D

If you ever need a new/better female singer........there's that gal down in Waco that can carry a tune or three. :bravo:

pie_man_25
August 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Spud, do you have any pics of the singer?

Anyways, what really matters is the playing aspect of it, I'm going to volunteer next week for the local parish's quoir, and I'm atheist, I just need some stuff to practice on double bass (I'd use it in my ska band, but you can't do a tapping solo in this thing), and the priest is really just glad I'm helping, we frequently talk about philosphy and he's really a great guy, so am I necessarily selling my soul? You're doing this professionally, so I really don't think you are selling out or anything, I mean, let's face it, any money is good money, you gotta keep you're mouth full, and if you really enjoy it, all the better eh? Just keep talking to them, and see if you can write a few tunes with a bit of you're playing in it, who knows, you guys may even sound better!

tot_Ou_tard
August 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
[sigh...]

Yeah, but you know what those things are. I don't ;).

Childbride
August 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but you know what those things are. I don't ;).

you made me laugh. :D [touche']

street music
August 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Spud,
I'm familiar with a lot of country ats on the road and there are some out there that have a girl singer that can't really sing, but Daddy has BIG BUCKS, so you play for her or go home. There are a couple of big names in the Nashville act that in person or on live TV suck real bad at singing(AS SEEN IN RECENT TV AWARD SHOWS). We have several artist in this area that can sing circles around the big Nashville acts.
Just get in the band and show them your playing(potatoes optional) and maybe someone will say hey give this guy a full-time spot and listen up because he has experience.
No you don't have to dress like Trace Adkins but it won't hurt either.

street music
August 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Spud, Just look in the crowd at the reaction. Now you get the idea when you watch this why you play-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N__1zv_tAmQ&feature=related

Algonquin
August 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Here's my favourite 'Spud' based country song...
TNEg65rlnu4
Congrats on the gigs :AOK:

marnold
August 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Well, when I played in a bluegrass band, I was mostly playing music that not only had I never heard before, but I wouldn't listen to regularly. But you know what? I had a blast. Bluegrass bass playing is about as straight-forward as it gets. I could ham it up a bit and work the crowd which made it even better. One of my classmates gave me a great compliment (although I don't think he intended it as such). He and others assumed that someone else behind the curtain was playing bass and I was just mugging. Nope, I could play and have fun at the same time!

Having said that, I would have killed to be in a metal band. But some playing was better than no playing and I got to play with some of my best friends to boot. Everybody else wore cowboy hats--I wore my ubiquitous Detroit Tigers cap.

Spudman
August 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Spud, Just look in the crowd at the reaction. Now you get the idea when you watch this why you play-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N__1zv_tAmQ&feature=related

That would be nice but we aren't the Eagles and all the women I saw in the club looked like this.
http://www.youdontsay.org/OldLady.jpg

street music
August 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
I will tell you SPUD, that little ole ladies can love music too and I'm sure that to her you are just like a teen age idol.
There I hope that makes you feel better about it. Just imagine what a kiss on the forehead would do for her.:rotflmao:

Spudman
August 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I will tell you SPUD, that little ole ladies can love music too and I'm sure that to her you are just like a teen age idol.
There I hope that makes you feel better about it. Just imagine what a kiss on the forehead would do for her.:rotflmao:

ROTFLMAO :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

bbbbbut, the Eagles fans look so much better.:drool:

pes_laul
August 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
That would be nice but we aren't the Eagles and all the women I saw in the club looked like this.
http://www.youdontsay.org/OldLady.jpg
She's pretty hot.

piebaldpython
August 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
See what happens when you REALLY know how to SLIDE......you can have sun-burst yellow hair, wear ridiculously designed/colored pants/pajama bottoms and HOT babes will fall all over ya. :poke:

God Bless Joe Walsh for proving to us not-so-cute guys that TALENT will get you the pretty gal. :rotflmao:

Spudman
August 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
She's pretty hot.
I think you need professional help.:messedup: