PDA

View Full Version : Modded my Goldtop Goldie

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Well, well, I brought Goldie to the guitar doc last week and he called me today. She's ready. Tomorrow I'm gonna pick her up.

Here's what the doc has done:

1. Exchanged the plastic nut against a bone nut. I have handpicked a beuatiful piece of bone that fit the binding perfectly. The bone nut will imporove the sound, sutain and tuning stability.

2. Exchanged the pot of the neck 500K CTS instead of the 300K. Bridge remained 300k, for first.
3. Treble bleed mod for both bridge and neck
4. Wanted to exchange the speed knobs against top hats, but those weren't available and Gibson doesn't supply my guitar doc. No prob, I will get them somewhere else, but this is only make up and still has some time.
5. Of course the doc checked the entire guitar and set it up, hopefully perfect ;)

I really lool forward to playing Goldie on tuesday at the rehearsal. I'm sure she will sound even better than before.

Robert
August 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Your Gibson came with a plastic nut? :eek:

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Your Gibson came with a plastic nut? :eek:

Yeah, but it did sound pretty good with it. Back in the days Gibson also used Nylon nuts - I couldn't imagine that - my guitar tech says he has many clients who want these Nylon nuts. The mod will now improve the already excellent sound.

Robert
August 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
That sounds very surprising to me - a plastic nut on a quality guitar like that. Plastic nuts are really just complete crap, can't imagine anyone would disagree with that?

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM
That sounds very surprising to me - a plastic nut on a quality guitar like that. Plastic nuts are really just complete crap, can't imagine anyone would disagree with that?

Probably everyone would agree on this, me too, but I would have deprived myself of buying a great guitar if my decision depended on the nut material only.

Robert, I know that you were/are pi**ed because one idiot at Gibson stole your picture, which was absolutely not correct (I have also left a comment there at their site), but please do me a favour, as this smells like a Gibson bashing again (my impression here), don't let your reply be too influenced by your experience with one person. Plastic nuts are crappy, but the guitar sounded great also with the "crappy" nut :). Let them use it, I don't care :whatever:

It also sounds great with the pots it has, but I'm changing them to my likening and to the requirements in my current band. I'm sharing this mod story here, because I know that changing caps for LP style guitars is always a topic for most owners and it could be interesting to learn what the difference really is and how far it improves the sound. :dude:

:AOK:

Robert
August 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Jimi, no it has nothing to do with that "incident" you are referring to. Any time a guitar has a plastic nut, I shake my head. I can understand it somewhat for the $99 guitars, but anything "real" like a Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc - there is no excuse for having a plastic nut. Tusq make a really good nut, and it's 12 bucks. If a guitar costs hundreds of dollars, why don't we see a quality nut like that more often? Again, this has nothing to do with Gibson specifically, it is way too common in general.

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Jimi, no it has nothing to do with that "incident" you are referring to. Any time a guitar has a plastic nut, I shake my head. I can understand it somewhat for the $99 guitars, but anything "real" like a Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc - there is no excuse for having a plastic nut. Tusq make a really good nut, and it's 12 bucks. If a guitar costs hundreds of dollars, why don't we see a quality nut like that more often? Again, this has nothing to do with Gibson specifically, it is way too common in general.

Thanks for clarifying Robert.

+100 on the fact that a guitar made by Fender or Gibson (more exoensive models) should have something else than a plastic nut. But you know, I just change and that's it.

I am really excited on the results when I pick her up tomorrow :-)

Robert
August 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I know you will love it even more now. The Tusq nuts sound great. Makes a big difference I would say.

I would be interested to hear how you like that 500K pot for the neck.

By the way, I am not a "bashing kind of guy"... ;)

Spudman
August 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I would be interested to hear how you like that 500K pot for the neck.

Me too. What's that do brighten up the neck pickup?

mrmudcat
August 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
jimi I thought the traditional have a corian nut??? Specs on gibby sight says corian:poke:

Corian® nuts- It's not just for your kitchen ya know... Corian is another synthetic material that has been used for nuts. It has a very bright white appearance and is used on nearly all Martin® instruments. If you really want to be different you could also consider using scrap Corian from your local home improvement store and create one in any number of colors.

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Me too. What's that do brighten up the neck pickup?

Exactly. So the neck pu sound is not muddy, and it mixes nice with the bridge pu. You can get that classic Woman Tone (Clapton Bluesbrakers Sound).

Jimi75
August 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM
jimi I thought the traditional have a corian nut??? Specs on gibby sight says corian:poke:

Corian® nuts- It's not just for your kitchen ya know... Corian is another synthetic material that has been used for nuts. It has a very bright white appearance and is used on nearly all Martin® instruments. If you really want to be different you could also consider using scrap Corian from your local home improvement store and create one in any number of colors.

Yeah maybe it's corian. As I said sounds great, but I prefer organic material for the nut and it looks way better wit hthe creme binding. :AOK:

mrmudcat
August 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
No doubt on the bone !!!!:rockon: