PDA

View Full Version : Transducer-under saddle problems

street music
August 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I was checking the saddle on my Takamine to see about replacing it with Tusq. When I put everything back I noticed that my built in tuner wasn't functioning on the D & G strings. When I plug it in the amp I have lost some of the pickup feed. I think there are problems where the wire solders to the pickup. Suggestions? I guess I need to get it back to the shop and possibly to Takamine.

wingsdad
August 20th, 2009, 07:48 AM
It might be a connection problem, but (let's hope) it might be just that the transducer may not be properly (evenly) seated under the saddle. This is a pretty common and minor mishap when removing and replacing the saddle. I doubt if it would have to go to Takamine. If you're undure at all about what to do or how it should sit, your best bet would be to take it in to your trusty shop guy, whose probably handled this type of thing often. Good luck, street.

evenkeel
August 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Agree with wings!! I'd try removing the saddle one more time, clean out the bridge slot, make sure the transducer is seated properly in the bridge and carefully reassemble.

I'm assuming you have not put the Tusq. saddle in. If I'm wrong and you have put in the Tusq, make sure the bottom of the Tusq saddle is perfectly flat. A bit of a concave shape could create the problem you describe.

Let us know what happens.

street music
August 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys , I have tried both the tusq and the original saddle , I'm afraid that it is a wire problem, the transducer is a brass u shape tray and has gel under the strip of brass that the cable attaches to. It appears the braided ground is soldered to the u shape piece and the conductor goes to the thin strip. It is only picking up on the low E and the B-E strings. So I can't use the on board tuner(luckily I have a Qwik Tune). So I'm not sure when I can get it in to the shop, they are 1 1/2 hours drive away. I am afraid to try and tackle any part of messing with that fine wire.