PDA

View Full Version : Update - Modded my Goldtop Goldie

Jimi75
August 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Picked her up yesterday, here's what has been done:
1. Exchanged the corian nut against a bone nut.
2. Exchanged the pot of the neck 500K CTS instead of the 300K. Bridge remained 300k.
3. Treble bleed mod for both bridge and neck

Well, before Goldie sounded already great. The above mentioned mods did the following:

1. Guitar has more sustain. The tone sounds rounder.
2. Playability improved. The tension is somehow different through the bone nut. Guitardoc said the set up was already perfect, but there's always a way to improve.
3. changing the Pot in the neck pos to 500k was the best thing I could do. It's like one pulled a curtaon aside. LP guitars are kinda midrangy, this mod opened up the guitar sound. Man I love what she sounds like now. Gogrgeous brilliance. Bridge and neck pu mix even better now. Solos on the neck get a more woody character. No more muddiness.
4. Treble Bleed mod makes provided no loss of the treble when reducing the volume with the volume pots. As I am a player who concstantly works the pots during songs, this is just a huge improvement.

All in all, Goldie was sounding great already. The mods improved her sound and playability even more. I would suggest any owner of the Les Paul Traditional to do the a.m. mods.