PDA

View Full Version : Too much NOISE

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have a noise problem with my setup. I get this noise that is sort of intermittant, almost like from an external interference, but it's internal. It sort of sounds like a tube going bad, but it ain't that.

It sounds very much like...you know when you put on a dirty vinyl disk and at the start it has this rumble slash noise...or like you'd rub your thumb against the vinyl player needle...or like rub a microphone or even a speaker hard. You know; brumbblmbbrzzzhrhmb...kraah...hrrmbbb...braahh...b rrmmb...quite loud too. It seems to vanish when I play something, though; or isn't audible under it all.

If I plug in my guitar straight, no noise whatsoever. (EMG85 > Ceriatone ptp EL84 head).

If I plug in my guitar and put ANY of the following in between (and on), the rumble appears:
-Marshall Jackhammer (very low OD setting, no boost)
-Marshall ED-1 compressor (no boost)
-Tech-21 revboost (reverb, no boost)

If I leave the FX on and disconnect guitar, quiet as a mouse.

It doesn't matter if I have one or 3 pedals on, same rumble. Even if I use a volume pedal to drop the volume going to amp, rumble.

This is really driving me crazy...can't find any reason for the rumble. It's like there is this rumble hiding in my guitar and it is let loose if I turn on any pedal, which then somehow amplifies it greatly. Yet the pedals themselves don't make a sound.

I'd understand the compressor; it'd amplify a 'no signal' and turn up just noise when I'm not playing...but the OD and reverb does that too? The only difference between these and the rest of my pedals is that these have an AMPLIFIER circuit...even if set to no boost...could be the key?

All FX are powered by a 'one spot' 9v transformer BTW.

Any ideas welcome.

I suppose I have to just start eliminating things, use another guitar and stack up stuff till I find what gives.

Or just get a noise gate and put it right after the guitar? Or where...really strange.

marnold
August 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Just a WAG: try using only one of the effects, powered by a battery. That will eliminate the 1-Spot as the culprit.

wingsdad
August 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
...All FX are powered by a 'one spot' 9v transformer BTW.

Any ideas welcome.

I suppose I have to just start eliminating things, use another guitar and stack up stuff till I find what gives.

Or just get a noise gate and put it right after the guitar? Or where...really strange.

I doubt if a noise gate's gonna be the answer...
1st try another guitar. If the rumble's gone, then you can figure it's the EMG somehow. Is that guitar active electronics? (I don't know the guitar). If it is, try a fresh battery. If the rumble still happens, with either guitar, then eliminate the 'one spot' and try the fx w/ 9V battery power to see if transformer's gone kaput.

:thwap: As I prepare to hit 'submit', I see marnold's thinking it's the transformer, too...;)

ibanezjunkie
August 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
maybe has something to do with your active pickups?

my friend had a similar problem with his EMGs, the 85 wasnt properly grounded and created some foul sounding internal interference with my pedals.

deeaa
August 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the replies...yeah I guess I have to start eliminating things first - gotta get me a 9v battery first and see if that helps.

I'm wondering if it's EMG's as well...all my my guitars have basically the same setup of EMG's. It could be be the power, yeah...

There is NO grounding on EMG's like on normal pickups, i.e. the grounding happens only via the jack, there is no wire or connection to the bridge etc....so it could somehow also cause problems with cascading gain stages even if they don't 'boost'.

Hmm. I guess I have to go and start eliminating things!

kiteman
August 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Just a WAG: try using only one of the effects, powered by a battery. That will eliminate the 1-Spot as the culprit.

What I would think too. 3 pedals, same noises, powered by same unit, hmm...

deeaa
August 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Well, today I spent maybe 30 minutes testing the rig...and no noise.

I mean, all 3 on of course there is some hum/static, you hear the pedals are on, right? BUT no rumbles or weird noises.

Couldn't get it to do the usual thang during the 30 mins or so.

Makes me wonder if it's more something else...but then again it happens just as well on a gig stage as at least 2 practice spaces I've been to. WIth totally different gear etc. around, different bands etc.

But I bet in the next practice it'll come back with a vengeange.

Oh well. For what it's worth I did go thru the gain and lowered some gains here and there and compensated for the overall gain loss with a tad more compression and OD drive, and now it's anyway much cleaner and better sounding.

We'll see...

wingsdad
August 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Well, today I spent maybe 30 minutes testing the rig...and no noise.

It's aliens, I tell ya. Aliens. :poke: Where's Tot when we need him?:thwap:

kiteman
August 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
It's aliens, I tell ya. Aliens. :poke: Where's Tot when we need him?:thwap:

He's out surfing with the aliens. :)