PDA

View Full Version : Tele Refinishing Project

thekiwidisciple
August 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

A while back I bought a second-hand BSB Squier Affinity Telecaster. I don't like the colour and got it with the intention of refinishing it, the current finish has some battle scars. I've ordered a Pearloid pickguard and will be off to get some paint next weekend.

It will end up like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/Tele-kinetic/ShellPinkTelebodyfinished.jpg

What do we all think?

Kazz
August 23rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
What color could it possibly be that you do not like so much that you want to paint it pink? LOL.

Seriously.....what does BSB stand for? What kind of wood is the body construction?

thekiwidisciple
August 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
BSB = Butterscotch Blonde. I'm really not a fan. I like the idea of painting it pink cause it does look nice, but not many other people would do it. lol

ibanezjunkie
August 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
i prefere vintage/butterscotch blonde, but the pink certainly is a statement.

are you a hello kitty fan kiwi? :rotflmao:

deeaa
August 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Heh, butterscotch is one of my favorite colors. If I ever wanted a Tele, it'd have to be white or butterscotch.

Big K
August 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
real men wear pink

pie_man_25
August 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
/\ I'm with you big K

thekiwidisciple
August 24th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Spot on, Big K.

i prefere vintage/butterscotch blonde, but the pink certainly is a statement.

are you a hello kitty fan kiwi? :rotflmao:
No I'm not and my name is Ben.

deeaa
August 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
That reminds me - no offense meant 'K'...but anyhow...

Years back we recruited this Irish bass player in our band. We met in a local bar and had beers and talked over what we wanted to do and it seemed like he'd fit in well. Then our guitarist said 'Hey, I know, let's go to 'K' club' (there was a new club simply called 'K' in the neighborhood....but not being a native speaker he pronounced it kinda laxily...

So the bassist suddenly started braking, saying like actually I dunno if this band is right for me after all...but we soon realized he'd just heard it 'gay' club, what else...but it was soon corrected and he stuck with the band for four years then.

thekiwidisciple
August 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Lol!

Geraint Jones
August 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM
That reminds me - no offense meant 'K'...but anyhow...

Years back we recruited this Irish bass player in our band. We met in a local bar and had beers and talked over what we wanted to do and it seemed like he'd fit in well. Then our guitarist said 'Hey, I know, let's go to 'K' club' (there was a new club simply called 'K' in the neighborhood....but not being a native speaker he pronounced it kinda laxily...

So the bassist suddenly started braking, saying like actually I dunno if this band is right for me after all...but we soon realized he'd just heard it 'gay' club, what else...but it was soon corrected and he stuck with the band for four years then.

Did the fact you looked like a Judas Priest tribute band not give it away

Geraint Jones
August 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I`m not sure about a pink Tele, I mean a pink Strat maybe but c`mon a teles a proper mans guitar .

Oh yeah refinishing it may cost you more than you paid for it as well Ben

thekiwidisciple
August 25th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I`m not sure about a pink Tele, I mean a pink Strat maybe but c`mon a teles a proper mans guitar .

Oh yeah refinishing it may cost you more than you paid for it as well Ben
And as K stated, real men wear pink. :P

It won't cost me that much to refinish it, I have everything I need except the pink paint. I'm also going to refinish and refret the neck. The first thing I did when I bought it was replace the pickups with Toneriders. They cost as much as the guitar did, but I'll end up with a very nice guitar, so it's all cool. :)

Brian Krashpad
August 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I had a pink guitar recently:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_d081eceb0aa5f37cd52da9c089133951.jpg

However, it came that way from the factory. I later bought a 12-string version of the same guitar but in white, and at that point it just seemed a bit excessive to have both. I sold the pink one to a girl's parents who gave it to their daughter for her 12th birthday, haha. She was really happy, good karma letting it go.

As for BSB, I'm a huge fan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/slainte014_11A.jpg

Cheers!

thekiwidisciple
August 26th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I had a pink guitar recently:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_d081eceb0aa5f37cd52da9c089133951.jpg

However, it came that way from the factory. I later bought a 12-string version of the same guitar but in white, and at that point it just seemed a bit excessive to have both. I sold the pink one to a girl's parents who gave it to their daughter for her 12th birthday, haha. She was really happy, good karma letting it go.

As for BSB, I'm a huge fan.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/slainte014_11A.jpg

Cheers!

Those are both really nice guitars, Brian. The finish on my Tele was far too yellow, your one looks a great colour.

peskypesky
August 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Heh, butterscotch is one of my favorite colors. If I ever wanted a Tele, it'd have to be white or butterscotch.

Me too. I still remember when I was a little kid back in the 70s and I had a big poster of Keith Richards playing a butterscotch tele with a black pickguard. I thought it was just the coolest guitar. Well, that and Jimmy Page's sunburst Les Paul.

All these years later, and I still don't have a butterscotch Tele, but I do have a white Affinity, and just tonight I put a black pickguard on it and it looks pretty good.

My favorite Teles are butterscotch, white and sunburst. I also like the black Deluxe Tele with black pickguard.