PDA

View Full Version : home recording

fensonpaulcaster
August 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have a few queston about home recording..........

Ive always used my computer to record but im getting fed up with the sound quality so ive decided to get some better gear.

First offf

well uhmm, how is an eight track really used? im confused about that does it go onto the computer or is into memory?

and i dont wanna record using tape so i figured like an eight track would be the way to go but i dont fully understand that whole thing as it is so how do you use these and what would be a good cheap system to use?

also when using condenser mics what exactly is the preamp do and is it like needed to use condenser mics? Can i play through a tube amp instead?

Suhnton
August 23rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
How are you recording at the moment? What software/interface/PC specs etc? From your post it appears you are realtively new to recording, and porbably need a little clarification on the steps in the process.
As far as I'm aware, 8-track is pretty much obsolete now, and would be a step backwards sound quality-wise.

Spudman
August 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
If you have a problem with computer sound quality then the problem doesn't lie with the computer. It could be microphones, converters, cables, speakers or technique etc. I'd get more advice or tutoring before abandoning the computer.

deeaa
August 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I have a few queston about home recording..........

Ive always used my computer to record but im getting fed up with the sound quality so ive decided to get some better gear.

First offf

well uhmm, how is an eight track really used? im confused about that does it go onto the computer or is into memory?

and i dont wanna record using tape so i figured like an eight track would be the way to go but i dont fully understand that whole thing as it is so how do you use these and what would be a good cheap system to use?

also when using condenser mics what exactly is the preamp do and is it like needed to use condenser mics? Can i play through a tube amp instead?

Basic computer soundcards (internal, SoundBlaster etc.) are meant for playback mostly. They have horrid crosstalk, noise and amplification, even jitter. They totally suck in recording. People sometimes seem to think that since it's digital, there's no timing issues etc.

Well even today soundcards for instance get their timing sync from an internal crystal oscillator, and on cheap cards that isn't up to notch. You get several tracks that are ever so sligthly off with each other.

Pro cards are a different story, but really, when you REALLY want to get into recording and use also outboard gear, you start to need an external word clock etc. to keep it all in good sync.

Anyway. Stick with your computer. You just need a good soundcard.

1st you need to figure out how many inputs do you need to record at once. Most people think 2, but most people also start wanting more REAL soon if they get into it. Think about that one hard;is 2 enough?

Get a decent EXTERNAL firewire or USB soundcard; check out Presonus, M-Audio. Because external cards not only eliminate any internal PC interferences, they are easy to use on several machines, they include a basic mixer and headphone amps plus phantom power etc. so they may even eliminate a need for a mixer and/or preamps.

Then get a suitable recording program. I'd strongly suggest Cubase. You get a proper soundcard like Presonus, it probably comes complete with Cubase LE which is more than enough to start with. When you get further into it, you can upgrade your program later.

LE can record 8 tracks simultaneously and I think total is 48 or something.

It's also very easy to use, much easier than a desktop audio recorder basically.

If you need more inputs, there is a great 8-in system coming soon (Zoom R16) from that is not only an external soundcard but also has a memory card and can function as a standalone 8-track recorder...that'd be great for live recording. Record anywhere on batteries, bring home and mix on the computer...but the price goes up all the time...I have a real nice 8-input Presonus external but I could seriously consider that Zoom too.

I don't understand what you mean about the tube amp thing...but you need a mic to record the amp, right? Stick it in front of the amp and get the sound to the mixer/soundcard. Condensers need 48V of power so they require a basic preamp, but again, most external soundcards can supply that so you don't need anything else like a separate preamp. They need the power due to their build...condensers however are much more responsive and typically have way more high and low end than passive mics. Some condensers have an interanal 9v battery and need no power but they tend to be less than good, like AKG100S.

fensonpaulcaster
September 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Basic computer soundcards (internal, SoundBlaster etc.) are meant for playback mostly. They have horrid crosstalk, noise and amplification, even jitter. They totally suck in recording. People sometimes seem to think that since it's digital, there's no timing issues etc.

Well even today soundcards for instance get their timing sync from an internal crystal oscillator, and on cheap cards that isn't up to notch. You get several tracks that are ever so sligthly off with each other.

Pro cards are a different story, but really, when you REALLY want to get into recording and use also outboard gear, you start to need an external word clock etc. to keep it all in good sync.

Anyway. Stick with your computer. You just need a good soundcard.

1st you need to figure out how many inputs do you need to record at once. Most people think 2, but most people also start wanting more REAL soon if they get into it. Think about that one hard;is 2 enough?

Get a decent EXTERNAL firewire or USB soundcard; check out Presonus, M-Audio. Because external cards not only eliminate any internal PC interferences, they are easy to use on several machines, they include a basic mixer and headphone amps plus phantom power etc. so they may even eliminate a need for a mixer and/or preamps.

Then get a suitable recording program. I'd strongly suggest Cubase. You get a proper soundcard like Presonus, it probably comes complete with Cubase LE which is more than enough to start with. When you get further into it, you can upgrade your program later.

LE can record 8 tracks simultaneously and I think total is 48 or something.

It's also very easy to use, much easier than a desktop audio recorder basically.

If you need more inputs, there is a great 8-in system coming soon (Zoom R16) from that is not only an external soundcard but also has a memory card and can function as a standalone 8-track recorder...that'd be great for live recording. Record anywhere on batteries, bring home and mix on the computer...but the price goes up all the time...I have a real nice 8-input Presonus external but I could seriously consider that Zoom too.

I don't understand what you mean about the tube amp thing...but you need a mic to record the amp, right? Stick it in front of the amp and get the sound to the mixer/soundcard. Condensers need 48V of power so they require a basic preamp, but again, most external soundcards can supply that so you don't need anything else like a separate preamp. They need the power due to their build...condensers however are much more responsive and typically have way more high and low end than passive mics. Some condensers have an interanal 9v battery and need no power but they tend to be less than good, like AKG100S.

im quite jealous of your ceriatone amp lol.

but anyways thanks for all the advice..ive found some good deals like a good recording package at guitarcenter like 200 dollars and it comes with ableton live which ive heard is very good plus a condensor mic (most likely of lower quality but definitely better then nothing) studio head phones an interface and a mixer all good ones too like the interface is firewire and the mixr is a decent behringer.

i still dont really understand the whole mic preamp thing.. do i need one to do this kinda recordng? or wil it be fine through the interface (external soundcard? lol)

thanks very much
;)

deeaa
September 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
You should not need a mic pre as long as the interface has a mic input with phantom (+48V) power. Most do. Even he smallest Behringer mixers also do.

fensonpaulcaster
September 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You should not need a mic pre as long as the interface has a mic input with phantom (+48V) power. Most do. Even he smallest Behringer mixers also do.
Ok thank You

What do you think of Ableton?

deeaa
September 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I never tried ableton. Cubase was always an easy choice for me since it seems sort of like an industry standard over here; almost every studio I've been to has ran Cubase either on Mac or Windows platform.

The only others I've used are Logic Audio, Magix and Samplitude studio. They are all very very similar. Also much like Cubase. Learn one and you can pretty much use any. Ah, Adobe Audition! That's a pretty good one, and very affordable. It's not far from Cubase interface either, maybe a bit more text and clutter but it's also quite good.

The guys in my 'American' band, Project-43, use Audition.