PDA

View Full Version : Took the back off of my Vox AD50VT

Robert
August 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
I wanted to see what happened to the tone if I took the back off, so I did.

The sound improved a bit. Not a huge thing, but it sounds more open and airy now. The combo is also a bit lighter, which doesn't hurt! :DR

I'll post some pics later.

Tim
August 24th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Robert - I hope the AD50VT does not have as much excess glue as do the newer AD15VT and AD30VT VOX amps. The extra glue is to help the input jack assembly from falling into the cabinet. It is considered a modification. When I re-installed the jack on my amp I took a closer look at the input jack. It hard for me to comprehend that the economical plastic box and nut assembly presently used is much cheaper than the all metal 2 prong jack from the old days. The next time I have trouble with the plastic input jack, it will be replaced with the old reliable metal jack.

Another interesting thing about the AD15VT and AD30VT is the pressed wood used for the cabinet. This defiantly contributes to the weight of the cabinet and I believe is a factor in the “blanket effect” I talked about in an earlier post. If I was any good working with wood, I would modify the back panel and have a partially open back cabinet. I agree that an open back allows the tones to improve.

tremoloman
August 24th, 2006, 07:42 AM
My Fender Hot Rod DeVille has a slab of steel in the bottom of the cabinet. I believe this is done to help improve the tone with a greater amount of mass.

Or they have a back room deal the chiropractic industry. :)

TS808
August 25th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I wanted to see what happened to the tone if I took the back off, so I did.

The sound improved a bit. Not a huge thing, but it sounds more open and airy now. The combo is also a bit lighter, which doesn't hurt! :DR

I'll post some pics later.

The AD100VT is open back, probably due to the bass response from the two speakers as it is. Now that I've found alot of the sweet spots on the EQ for the different models, I'm noticing that the amp really has "opened up" with some top end brilliance. Alot of the amp models on the 100VT are pretty "bass heavy" as it is, more than likely due to the cabinet modeling, so an open back cab probably will help with the AD50VT.

The open back on the AD50VT should also provide some nice tones.

TS808
August 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM
My Fender Hot Rod DeVille has a slab of steel in the bottom of the cabinet. I believe this is done to help improve the tone with a greater amount of mass.

Or they have a back room deal the chiropractic industry. :)

That is one HEAVY amp. I had a 212 HR Deville and traded it...just too darn loud (and heavy)!. The slab of steel at the bottom, is that the reverb tank, or is there another steel component? I just remember the reverb tank being there, and that was pretty big.