PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye maple neck stability?

R.B. Huckleberry
August 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I've heard recently that this is such an issue Fender and G&L have shortened the length of their warranties on birdseye maple necks (indeed, G&L's site now states a 90 day warranty. On a neck?!!?).

I have had an ASAT Special with a birdseye maple neck & fretboard since 2003. In New England. In New England through 6 winters, summers, etc. The neck is one of the "bi-cut" necks G&L used to do (they would cut the neck down the middle, insert the truss rod, then glue it back together. To increase neck strength. I believe stopping the practice was a cost-cutting measure, I can't be sure). In fact, in 6 years the guitar has needed one set up. The action barely crept up over a very long span of time.

I've also read stabilty isn't an issue if the neck wood has been properly aged and dried. Which I would imagine G&L would do.

Or is this a 10 year/20 year down the road problem, and the necks just start warping/twisting/whatever? I'd hate to lose my #1 guitar> I'd hoped we be together for another few decades.

So what's the real deal? Anyone have any solid information? Personal anecdotes? I'd love to know for sure.

mrmudcat
August 24th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I have never heard of this being a problem with these necks from a personal standpoint . My opinion is as long as it is properly cared for you will enjoy it for years...........:master:

They are from the harder maple spieces,and just as strong as any maple neck.

Warpage will happen more in birdseye as opposed to regular maple necks,but as I said if taken care of(case,proper hum;) idity levels etc etc) you should have no problems!!!

Lots of people want the "bug swirls" more pronounced when buying a neck ,but this will make for a weaker neck. Look for some figuring but not covered if you know what I mean .Make sure there is grain showing also.I have had no problems on my fender birdseye necks!:AOK:

wingsdad
August 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I wondered about G&L's 90-day warranty on birdseye maple necks, too...especially since it's an upgrade that adds a few hundred bucks to the base price. It's an exception to their otherwise 10-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship on the guitar.

In any case, I had 2 G&L's with those necks -an ASAT Semi Hollow that now belongs to CB and a Comanche that a currently banned fretter bought from me & neither ever posed a problem.

Plank_Spanker
August 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
The old saw is bird's eye maple is not as strong through the axis of the neck due to the bird's eyes as more straight grained maple is.

Maple is a very dense and hardcore wood - I don't see any problems with bird's eye.

M29
August 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I have a birdseye neck and it is fine so far. I am concerned about it though. I sure like the looks of it. I see Clapton with them all the time on the utubes but I did hear something like his techs where trying to get away from them.

When I look for a guitar though I look for long straight grain. I learned from when I played drums that the longer the grain the stronger the piece.