PDA

View Full Version : The Commitments

birv2
August 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Just saw this movie over the weekend, from 91. If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy it. It's about the formation of a soul band in modern-day Dublin. If you like 60's soul music, check it out.

Of course, we almost needed subtitles while we tried to decipher the Irish accents (sorry to any Irish on the board), though we got the F-word loud and clear!

Anyway, lots of great music, interesting characters, and a fabulous setting gives this one 4 stars.

bigG
August 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
great flick, birv! I have it on CD and DVD. The players do a great job and the vocalist is superb! Talk abt blue-eyed soul!

aeolian
August 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie back when I saw it. I also have the CD and still play it fairly regularly.

Spudman
August 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I really enjoyed the movie too and then a year or so afterward I got to run sound for them. There were only two members left from the original movie band. Still they sounded great and put on a top notch show.

aeolian
August 24th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I really enjoyed the movie too and then a year or so afterward I got to run sound for them. There were only two members left from the original movie band. Still they sounded great and put on a top notch show.

I hope the remaining two members are the great looking women. Oops, we should stay on the topic of music.

Spudman
August 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I hope the remaining two members are the great looking women. Oops, we should stay on the topic of music.

Actually one was and didn't look all that great after all these years. It was the blond and time and the lifestyle have not been kind.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM

I saw them with the two members at Seattle Center a few years after the movie. Gwen (my wife whom I started dating in '91)) and I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out, and bought the CD's and own the movie, though we have not seen it in a while. I am going to watch it again here sometime soon, just because.

FrankenFretter
August 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
This is one I've been meaning to see for ages. Now I'll have to put it in my queue before I forget again.

Geraint Jones
August 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
It was a great film, the only problem I remember was every pub band i saw afterwards had to play at least a few of the tracks from the film generally pretty badly . I still can`t stand Mustang Sally to this day .

Barre Fly
September 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I saw them back in 199...3 or 4 maybe? Micca "don't **** with me" Wallace was on vocals and did a bloody good job. It's a cracking film, gets quoted alot between me and my friends...especially if we ever see anyone on a suzuki or if we hear Whiter Shade Of Pale :D

Rampant
September 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Cult movie.

Love to re-watch this every couple of years.

Same with Blues Brothers.
And Weird Science.
And Police Story.
And Pretty Woman.
And...
And...

All at the pinnacle of their genre

:)